Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

Every note that she sings is worth hearing. There's nothing on any of the box's seven discs that isn't worth hearing, if only because she was such a stellar talent. The only gripe I can see is with BF's usual approach of having different takes of the same song on the same disc, which some people find repetitive. I'm not one of them.

2. Steve...O

Steve...O Forum Resident

Thanks. Does that mean Bear made a conscious decision to not include the originally released versions in favor of a new version without the overdubs? That's their right, but wish they'd be upfront about this. If I decide to order this set that means I have to keep my Columbia issued CDs to have the original version so in my collection.

On the Acuff DVD issue there were posts on this forum and others from buyers who said they contacted Bear and got no response. The Bear home page makes no mention of a disc replacement program. I've sent questions on their official FB page asking if specific sets are going to be reprinted and got no response and it doesn't appear that anyone else who asks questions gets responses either. It's frustrating trying to order their product in the States and finding "back order" notices and not knowing if it truly is a temporary deal or permanent.

Again, I love and respect Bear and the extreme vast majority of what they do is great stuff. Communication is a key component of success especially for a niche product.

rod, AlmanacZinger and Record Rotator like this.
  3. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

Not sure that explains why the the background vocals are missing. According to a discussion on a different forum, there are a handful of songs that had background vocals on the original Columbia releases, but are missing on the Bear Family set.
    Ray Price Bear Family Cd set - mssing vocals? - The Steel Guitar Forum
    I had a chance to get this set a few years ago at a great price, but declined after I read about those issues.

rod likes this.
  4. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Personally, I always prefer non-overdubbed versions. But I would just get the BF set and keep your copies of overdubbed versions. The Ray Price set is priceless. How are you going to get all of those rare recordings otherwise.

Having said that, I keep my LPs of Hank Williams with overdubbed strings. They are horrible, and I never listen to them.

Re Acuff DVD, I wrote to Bear Family about my defective copy when it was first released, and I never got a reply. I still only have my defective copy. Maybe Mychael can help.

rod likes this.
  5. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

I got it in 2016.This is the first time it is been confirmed that a faulty DVD can be changed into a perfect working DVD.I need a clear answer today if i can mail it tomorrow when Postoffice is open and send it.:D

6. Fishleehooke

Fishleehooke Forum Resident

I bought the Merle Haggard Untamed and the following Hag Box. I also go the Waylon Jennings Box. They are fantastic. Untamed is the one I am going through and it sounds superb and is really well put-together. Anyone heard or have the Roy Orbison, Everly Brothers, Buck Owens, or Johnny Cash ones? They are in my cart and trying to sort which ones to get first.

melstapler, Rick Bartlett and RSteven like this.
  7. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate

Oh I wouldn’t let those few songs keep you from getting it. It’s an A+ set, awesome book and the music is 100% perfect, except for the 4 or 5 that doesn’t have the overdubbed vocals.

spanky1 likes this.
  8. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

The Roy Orbison "blue" box set is just fantastic with the best sound I have ever heard on Roy's definitive Monument Records period. A very nice booklet with a complete discography as well. This might be my favorite Bear Family box set I have out of the dozen or so collections I own. Well, the Jim Reeves Welcome To My World box is also a favorite as well.

9. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

A lot of companies, even big mainstream ones, in all types of media are gonna learn this lesson in the coming year or three.

10. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

I’ve had issues with two sets from Bear Family. I contacted them and received responses and replacements on both issues. I have no problem with them in that regard.

Fishleehooke and The Killer like this.
  11. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

The Roy Orbison and Buck Owens boxes are among my favorites, but the Everlys boxes and the Johnny Cash boxes are great too. Honestly, it's hard to go wrong with any of them.

12. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

If you don’t have the Columbia Cash box I highly recommend those sets. If you do have it you still need the Bear box covering the Sun era. I have no intention of ever letting go of my Bear Cash boxes. Beyond essential.

13. Svein Arne

i am gonna try and see if it works.Need to find the adress so it goes to the right place.:pleased:

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

really been digging the Herman's Hermits CD set!

15. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

You should not have to mail in the defective DVD. It would cost me more to mail a disc to Germany than the DVD is worth. If Bear Family demands that, they have very poor customer relations. There will not be any flood of fake requests.

16. baptistbusman

i've never had to send anything back to them, I always send a picture of what the problem is. They have terrific customer service and have never let me down.

melstapler and Mychael like this.
  17. Svein Arne

I got this Roy Acuff CDbox from a dealer in Norway.Is it good enough that i send a picture of the DVD?

18. baptistbusman

I usually email them and tell them the problem I am having with a picture of what I have and they take care of it. They know there was a problem already. Their email address is on their website towards the bottom.

melstapler likes this.
  19. Svein Arne

20. Svein Arne

21. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

: )

22. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I would just write to them and see if that is adequate. If it is not, that is poor customer service. Bear Family should not demand that their customers be able to take and transmit digital images. Many BF collectors don't get involved with technology.

23. Svein Arne

I have now filled out filled out this site:
    Bear Family Records
    Will be interesting to read on monday.

24. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

Also remember that the "Columbia Complete Albums" box has the albums that are covered by the Bear Family boxes in mono. In the four BF sets they're in stereo. Most of the outtakes dug up by Bear Family are collected in Legacy's "Cash Bootleg" series.

25. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member