The Beatles' "Rubber Soul" - Putting together the proper tracklist

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by yesstiles, Dec 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

That's the wrong version of the album. That one follows the moptop formula of 1963 not the concept formula of 1967. It's why the American version of the album is the one that is the most beloved and inspired an entire generation of musicians.

2. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

If I were to take two tracks off of the UK version to include the single it'd probably go like this:

SIDE 1:
    1. Drive My Car
    2. Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)
    3. You Won't See Me
    4. Nowhere Man
    5. Think for Yourself
    6. The Word
    7. Michelle

SIDE 2:
    1. We Can Work It Out
    2. Girl
    3. I'm Looking Through You
    4. In My Life
    5. Wait
    6. If I Needed Someone
    7. Day Tripper

I generally like Ringo songs but find What Goes On to be one of the weakest. Run For Your Life is ok, but Day Tripper is miles better. If I kept Run For Your Life I'd probably remove The Word. I think later on they did better songs on that theme.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  3. simond9x

simond9x Forum Resident

If they'd followed "the concept formula of 1967" in 1965, they would literally have been years ahead of their time.

Hermes likes this.
  4. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Very warm sounding vinyl… though some crackling.

john lennonist, willy and Keith V like this.
  5. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

You’re a genius

6. schnitzerphilip

And that's precisely what Capitol Records did for Rubber Soul.

Took off the "beep beep yeah!" teen moptop dance track, check. Took of the obligatory Ringo dud track, check. Added two moody acoustic folk tracks, check. Went straight after the college Simon & Garfunkel crowd, check. Made an epic, Earth-shattering concept album out of another (yawn) Parlophone version of With The Beatles and Help, check.

Hermes, rockerreds and Keith V like this.
  7. waterisnat

waterisnat Forum Resident

I see, you're now not only letting four-year-olds write your posts for you, you're also having them practice their cut & paste skills on label scans from your record collection. Too bad they don't know how to spell Paperback properly.

Gila likes this.
  8. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

But...there is no "wrong" version. There's a UK and US version. If anything the US one is "wrong" because it uses tracks from other albums, but it's an album people have grown to love over time. Same with the UK one, people love that one and don't want to see it changed.

Me, I take the UK version, stick WCWIO and Day Tripper as tracks 3 and 4 (keeps the Paul/John back and forth that way) and have Michelle "start" side 2. Great sounding and flowing album. Going back and doing it the Capitol way is just too confusing with the whole soundtrack situation(s), Y&T forgetting I'm Down, etc.

9. schnitzerphilip

I may not agree with some of your song selections, but any attempts to cut up and correct the UK Rubber Soul is okay in my book.

Hermes likes this.
  10. sami

sami Mono still rules

No. First, the Beatles clearly didn't intend RS to be a "folk" record, regardless what some folks at Capitol thought. So why recreate it as one?

Paperback Writer / Rain is a brilliant double A-Side which should be left as it is.

You guys want to recreate classic records with every song being an epic. Damn, just leave them and those amazing singles be.

11. John Harchar

I already "used" the other songs on Help!

12. John Harchar

Paperback Writer between I'm Only Sleeping and Love You To and Rain between I Want To Tell You and GTGYIML is a nice listen.

schnitzerphilip likes this.
  13. Evethingandnothing

Hold the release for four months and have this:

SIDE 1:
    1. Drive My Car
    2. Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)
    3. You Won't See Me
    4. Nowhere Man
    5. Think for Yourself
    6. Paperback Writer
    7. Rain

SIDE 2:
    1. We Can Work It Out
    2. Girl
    3. I'm Looking Through You
    4. In My Life
    5. Wait
    6. If I Needed Someone
    7. Day Tripper

Michelle and the other tracks can be an EP.
    Then hold the release of Revolver a few months and include Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane instead of Dr Robert & Good Day Sunshine.

14. sami

sami Mono still rules

Maybe so, but it isn't Revolver then, it's a mix tape tou made.

15. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Well in terms of claiming them to be an American band the first four points (at least) are completely irrelevant.

16. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Just plain craziness...LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!
    I understand where you are coming from but to me, those Capitol-butchered Beatles albums track sequences are so odd and their sound quality is normally inferior to the UK pressings!.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  17. schnitzerphilip

That's exactly the point.

The Beatles were so busy carving out a month from touring to pump out another (yawn) formulaic Christmas release that they couldn't see what Dave Dexter Jr. could- that Rubber Soul, with some smart tweaking, could be the album to save themselves in America. Bob Dylan and the folk scene were turning all those 15 year old 'yeah yeah' moptop kiddies into 17 year old beatniks and putting out Rubber Soul in the Parlophone configuration would have been career suicide.

rockerreds likes this.
  18. schnitzerphilip

Yellow Submarine ruins Revolver. Paperback Writer in its place saves it, makes it an all-time epic long player.

And "Classic Records" are the Beatles problem until 1967. All their early works, including Rubber Soul, were sucked into the Official Beatles Martin/Epstein Formula Vortex which said that no matter how great the album could be, let's ruin it by a) taking the singles off, b) putting a hideous Ringo song on, and c) forcing Lennon and McCartney to bang out bad filler tracks just to hit a quota. Rubber Soul and Revolver are ruined by elements of this approach. At least the US got Rubber Soul right.

Hermes likes this.
  19. schnitzerphilip

If we all make the same corrections to Rubber Soul and Revolver, it becomes canon. Think about it.

20. Evethingandnothing

Well, if the Beatles had gone on to be a folk rock band then fair enough, but they didn't and never were. I like the rock'n'rollers on Rubber Soul just fine. Indeed, they'd be sorely missed by me if they weren't there.

Hermes likes this.
  21. John Harchar

Fully Loaded Revolver, works for me :D.

If you think this is bad, you oughta see what the Stones albums look like on the iPod...

22. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

With the greatest of respect to the most frequent poster on this thread, but I've never read such tosh in all my life (though his Billy Preston hatred comes close...)

23. schnitzerphilip

Pressings? Everyone streams now.

24. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Obviously, we are not on the same page. We just have to agree to disagree.

25. simond9x

simond9x Forum Resident

What a load of revisionist rubbish. You mean in the same way that The Stones, Cream, The Yardbirds, The Who, Spencer Davis and all the other British bands went 'folk/rock' to avoid their own career suicides?

BeatleJWOL and J Alesait like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.