Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. honestabe316

honestabe316 Analog Rebel

I had a click in one of my abraxas discs and they did the same. When thier quality lacks a little they definitley make up for it in service... I guess the same can be said for anaogue Productions and Elusive disc as well as i have never had an issue getting replacements from them either. Elusive i beleive wanted the bad record back once though....

2. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

AS requests the defective copy be sent back as well. I had to do it a few weeks ago. The only negative is that it slows down the process. They fortunately refunded the return shipping once the replacement was processed.

3. In my experience, it depends on the label. AS generally will not request the defective copy and just send a replacement disc or sleeve or whatever on AP titles. Same with MD for MoFi titles. But for labels that aren’t in house, they don’t have spare sleeves or discs on hand and they aren’t going to send a new sealed copy and let you keep the old one. Too much room for abuse.

Elusive Disc doesn’t own a label so they always have you send back the old one, again, in my experience. And they have you do it at your cost. One reason why I don’t usually buy from them unless other retailers are out of what I am looking for

AnalogJ likes this.
  4. PATB

PATB Recovering Vinyl Junkie

This is my experience with AS as well. When I had a defective Speakers Corner, AS requested to return the defective disk. AS did not ask me to return defective Analog Productions disks in the past.

AnalogJ likes this.
  5. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

This just happened to me too. Perhaps they have to return the discs to the manufacturer to get credit, whereas for their own LPs there's no point to pay return shipping to get back a disc they have no use for.

6. Also, with their own stuff, they have spares of what ever is defective. So they usually just send you a disc with no cover, a cover with no disc, etc. If they just gave you a fresh sealed copy anytime someone claimed an item defective, it would make for a really easy scam.

I have also had talks with the folks over at MMJ and while they didn't;t require me to return the faulty disc, they did ask for a picture of the defect that shows the label. She said it is what they need to give to RTI, I assume for some kind of credit.

7. Louder666

Louder666 Active Member

My order was shipped to my old address, unfortunately. I contacted customer service and Fedex will make three attempts to get the package back, if not, they will ship me a new one this Monday. Very happy with their service! Really hoping I get the original one as I expect it will be a low number...

8. honestabe316

MMJ? I googled it and all i got was a ton of medical marijuana info or references to my morning jacket..... i figured you were talking about the music matters label.... so i kindly inquire; " what does MMJ refer to?

9. honestabe316

Theres probably some hipster who gonna get it and out of curiosity will open it and toss it on his Crosley Deluxe and become the newest monk fan.... or... he will toss it in the pile on top of the newest Lizzo lp (that was played one and a half times) and end up at a goodwill in 3 years
    and

10. lol, yes, you are correct it is Music Matters. MMJ=Music Matters Jazz, which is the label's official name.

11. Lol yes. He will play it at 33rpm and chalk it up to jazz being old timers music :laugh:

12. honestabe316

Thats what i thought... i have a couple MMJ's but bought them through a local new england music chain so i havent dealt with MMJ directly. Based on what i have and have heard, im assuming quality control isnt usually an issue for them on a large scale...definitely a quality product. I remember thinking once that i wish all of my premium vinyl could match their whole package.

13. honestabe316

Probably.... everytiime i hit local music stores i try to keep a mental note of who i see searching through the jazz section. It is usually people my age 56 and down to early mid 30's so there are younger folks who appreciate the finer music.... the blues section is right next to the jazz section so i make sure my mental survey only counts those looking through jazz as a lot of younger people are interested in the "blues" a lot more than jazz i would think.

14. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

It was a Classic Records pressing, so that technically falls in line with in-house. Copies are obviously limited at this point. Definitely a unique situation. No complaints on my end. They took care of the swap hassle free.

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  15. I'm in my early thirties, so younger fans do exist. Just not many, that I know, at least.

16. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

Right there with you. I'm in my "mid twenties" now (Just had my bday on Wednesday!)

Tommyboy and Greenmonster2420 like this.
  17. Happy belated!

Twinsfan007 likes this.
  18. honestabe316

Mine was tuesday! Happy b day

Twinsfan007 likes this.
  19. honestabe316

I never istened to jazz really till about 5 or 6 years ago... as a rock and roll fan fan i was more into listening to the expertise and talent of the musicians as opposed to just listening to the music to tap my foot or head bang, etc...

So it made sense that when a freind / co-worker who was a musician turned me on to fusion acts or musicians such as billy cobham, return to forever, and all the members solo work, jaco, miles, weather report, etc... i ate it up and began a journey into discovering a whole new world of great artists and music....
    If someone had told me 7 or 8 years ago i would be buying gil evans, Andrew hill, Eric Dolphy, Lee Morgan, Clifford Brown and other such artists music today, i would have thought them crazy.... but its great music and i now buy as much jazz as i do rock and sometimes more jazz

RZangpo2, AnalogJ and Twinsfan007 like this.
  20. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

Thank you!
    Science shows that October birthdays are thr best birthdays!

21. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Jim, don't belittle or make someone feel small because they have a problem. Remember, it's not up to you to say whether they have a problem or not, and how big it is.

And a statement like this only inflames things and makes someone feel bad.

22. spacecoyote

spacecoyote Astral Resident

I spun my Monk box last night, preordered from MoFi, and other than a little static it sounded perfect. I expect that once I clean it I won’t even here that anymore.

On a related note, I forgot to switch the speed setting on the turntable before I put it on, and thought, “Man, this a transparent pressing, and slow...”

:rolleyes:

23. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

That wasn't my recent experience with MD. :shake: I ordered my BOTT one-step and some other MoFi titles from them specifically because I expected they would take care of replacements without a return. But even though I sent photos of the defects, they wanted the items returned, jackets and all — from Canada, and with no shipping reimbursement. When I ordered directly from MoFi in the past, they did not ask for a return; only a new order to ship the replacement with. (A pretty good scheme, when you think about it, as it only costs them $2-3 for the replacement disc, and they make more than that on the new order.)

I have had AS ask for me to send just discs back for AP titles, when I had a large number of titles in the Living Stereo and Prestige series show up with defects (stitching and warps) — again, on my dime, from Canada. But usually, they haven't asked for a return.

Actually, Elusive Disc do have some sort of relationship with Impex, and they even replaced a defective disc from an Impex 6LP set that I bought somewhere else! And they haven't asked for returns on a couple of other titles I've ordered from them. I haven't ordered nearly as much from them as from AS, but my experience with ED has been top notch so far.

AnalogJ likes this.
  24. Interesting. I wonder how much you being in Canada impacts how these situations are handled. Your experience differs from mine quite a bit. It must be frustrating.

DavidD likes this.
  25. honestabe316

I had the first "living Stereo" lp out of the 25 lp subscription that i was a part of that was defective (had a nick in the vinyl) they replaced the vinyl only no questions asked....

I agree with some that having to pay for return shipping on a defective product does not seem fair. I would have no problem with paying the return shipping and then when they get it and inspect the defect, them crediting me toward future purchases but if they advertise an album for say $20 plus shipping, thats all i should pay.... at the least, they should have a disclaimer stating that you will end up paying in excess of the sales and shipping total if you are sent a defective product.... it seems like a poor business practice to make a customer pay more and have to wait another week or two for thier album because the purchase that the customer made in good faith wasnt as advertised....

AnalogJ and Gordon Johnson like this.