Paul McCartney/Wings-song by song thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bemagnus, Sep 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BZync

BZync Senior Member

I Am Your Singer

For years I disliked this song and skipped it. I'm not sure what changed my mind but, as of the Deluxe Edition, it has become my favorite song on the album. It's a beautiful melody and at 2:10 it doesn't overstay its welcome. Again, maybe the punk/grunge years led me to a greater appreciation of Linda's voice. I think she does a fine job on this one.

2. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

"I Am Your Singer" -- dumb song and absolute proof that Linda wasn't ready to be a lead vocalist. Total crash and burn, equal to the last place entry in an amateur talent contest.

3. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

I guess
    She ain t your singer
    :)

WilliamWes, Bruce M., BZync and 2 others like this.
  4. Bemagnus

Next one s
    Bip Bop link
    Short acoustic interlude. Nice link to
    Tomorrow
    Another gem. A very fine song with a virtuositeit vocal performance ftom Paul. Bert melidic with a catchy chorus and a stunning RnB influenced coda were McCartney scream his heart out. Clever arrangement-not least the gorgeous harmony-vocals
    Imo one of Wings better tracks and Classic, vintage McCartney showcases anamazing vocal range.Plus McCartney melodicism at it best

Oh, baby, don't let me down tomorrow,
    Holding hands we both abandon sorrow,
    Oh, for a chance to get away tomorrow.

Hey, baby's got a lazy dday on sunday,
    Here's a pound, we hang around'til monday,
    Oh, baby don't you let me down on sunday.

Bring a bag of bread and cheese and find a shady spot beneath the trees.
    Catch abreath of country air and run your pretty fingers thro' my hair.

Tomorrow, when we both abandon sorrow.
    Oh, baby, don't you let me down tomorrow,
    Thro' the week we beg and steal and borrow.

Honey, pray for sunny skies so I can speak to rainbows in your eyes.
    Let's just hope the weather man is feeling fine and doesn't spoil our plan.

Tomorrow, when we both abandon sorrow.
    Oh, baby, don't you let me down tomorrow,
    Holding hands we both abandon sorrow.
    Oh, baby, don't let me down tomorrow.

Baby, don't let me down tomorrow,
    baby, don't let me down tomorrow.

Oh, don't let me down,
    Baby, don't let me down tomorrow.
    Baby's, don't let, let me down tomorrow,
    baby, don't let me down tomorrow.

5. Bemagnus

There are a few nice covers of Tomorrow put there
    Hete s a nice one fron Brazil rock group the Fevers

6. Bemagnus

Another cover from no less than David Cassidy

7. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

"Tomorrow" is a good pop/rock song; the ramshackle style of the album doesn't suit the song too well, but again, the song is so good it doesn't matter. 4/5

Wordnat2, ParloFax, The MEZ and 6 others like this.
  8. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

His apology to Lennon after Too Many People and Dear Boy and one of my all time favorite Paul tunes. I loved it when I was a kid and love it more as time goes on.

4 or 4.5 out of 5 depending on my mood. *

* My McCartney scale for a 5 is above and beyond classic like Maybe I Amazed or Junk but if I give something a 4 that still means I love the song.

Hermes and Bemagnus like this.
  9. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Another best of McCartney track 5 out of 5. If this song was on the White Album or Abbey Road the term that's Tomorrow-esq would be tossed around. But because it's on Wild Life it's almost a deep track like Tomorrow. All the people and critics that dissed or ignored McCartney 1 and Wild Life missed out.

I admit Wild Life is a flawed and maybe even a lazy album but it has it charms and rewards and I have always enjoyed it.

The MEZ, Who Cares, omikron and 3 others like this.
  10. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

Tomorrow (8.5/10)

I couldn't decide between 8 or 9 so I'm going to start doing these .5's. :) A great melody and a nice tight arrangement with plenty of smooth ‘ahh’ harmonies, this is a fine one. The verses and refrains bleed into each other effortlessly and Paul sounds great on this lead. Even the segueway into the coda feels easy-with the band changing up things with more cool harmony as Paul builds his excitement until the finish. This could have been a mildly successful single but no singles were released from this LP. I like "Some People Never Know" just a bit more but while both lyrics are pretty good, I like the hopefulness in this one.

"Here's a pound, we'll hang around 'til Monday"
    Hmmm... only one pound -if that's money, baby may let him down! If that's ganja, well that may be too much. ;) (Yeah first lame pot joke has arrived, sorry)

The MEZ, Who Cares, omikron and 3 others like this.
  11. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

That's quite cool, I wonder on which songs we're gonna have huge differences of opinion and will certainly keep an out on your posts!

12. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

Tomorrow 8.5/10

I don't really like the kind of voice Paul puts on for this song, and if ever there was a song in his catalogue that could have benefited from another approach than the Wild Life esthetic, it was this one. It's a beautiful song! And it's so cool that Paul tried to answer Yesterday by writing a song called Tomorrow where he even uses the same first couple of chords!

Mumbo 7.5/10
    Bip Bop 7.5/10
    Love Is Strange 7.5/10
    Wild Life 8.5/10
    Some People Never Know 8.5/10
    I Am Your Singer 7.5/10
    Tomorrow 8.5/10

Dear Friend 8/10

The MEZ, omikron and Bemagnus like this.
  13. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Tomorrow is a good song that might’ve been better served by the more rigorous recording discipline employed on Wings’ next album, Red Rose Speedway.

For an album with a self proclaimed “let’s do it like Dylan” first take style, this song does not fit that well and it suffers as a result. Tomorrow does not benefit from ragged edges. Not a jam song. Lyrically, I don’t hear this as a Lennon apology at all. Just another silly love song. A very good one.

As we start winding down WL, I really think there are some potentially great moments in these songs. I think though as a collection of songs, they were poor choices to introduce a new “rock” band. Because many don’t really rock, swing and they lack the guitar-yness that could’ve better framed Wings as a new Paul fronted rock band. RRS would do a much better job of that.

At the end of the day, taking a Tomorrow, Dear Friend and a couple of others, along with some Ram leftovers (like Get On The Right Thing and LL Dragonfly) Paul could have simply done a second P & L McCartney album and would’ve been better for it.

WL was not a best foot forward for a new rock band.

14. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

'Tomorrow ' is another underrated Macca track. Simple lyrics to be sure but a great vocal complete with a nice rave up to end it.

ParloFax, The MEZ, Who Cares and 2 others like this.
  15. BZync

BZync Senior Member

Every song up to this point goes on far too long. Then, suddenly we have the 2:19 I Am Your Singer, the :52 Bip Bop Link and the 3:28 Tomorrow. The album moves much faster now.

I like the Bip Bop Link. It's length tells you that it is nothing more than a palate cleanser and it delivers.

Tomorrow is a good McCartney ballad, not a great one. Glad it doesn't break three and a half minutes. Maybe its the arrangement, but this song never gets off of the ground for me. Another odd note - the recording itself doesn't match the rest of the album. The Wild Life album is a very good recording - crisp and punchy. But Tomorrow is a bit muddy. I wonder why that is.

16. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Generally I find some sense or value in well-positioned pallet cleansers but what exactly are we cleansing our pallets for on this side of the album? There's nothing wrong with I Am Your Singer and Tomorrow back to back.

I can't help but think this and the "link" at the end of the album are just designed to take up some space since the few side 2 songs are of more normal length.

And what exactly is Mumbo Link linking to exactly?

BZync likes this.
  17. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

Eh, who knows? I'm not even sure who decided to isolate and make up names for them on the CD releases. "Can You Take Me Back" didn't become a seperate track between "Cry Baby Cry" and "Revolution 9", so I've never been clear why the two small instrumentals couldn't stay hidden and in the tracks.

BZync and omikron like this.
  18. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Another Day

A story of a working girl song. It's interesting to hear a happy and optimistic melody with a sad story lyrics. Brilliant combination. The loop at the end is telling us that she is repeating the same day over and over; a melancholy and monotonous life...

Lyrics:

[Verse 1]
    Everyday, she takes a morning bath, she wets her hair
    Wraps a towel around her as she's heading for the bedroom chair
    It's just another day
    Slipping into stockings, stepping into shoes
    Dipping in the pocket of her raincoat
    It's just another day

[Verse 2]
    At the office where the papers grow, she takes a break
    Drinks another coffee, and she finds it hard to stay awake
    It's just another day

[Chorus]
    Du du du du du du, it's just another day

[Bridge]
    So sad, so sad
    Sometimes she feels so sad
    Alone in her apartment, she'd dwell
    Till the man of her dreams comes to break the spell
    Stay, don't stand around
    And he comes, and he stays, but he leaves the next day
    So sad

[Verse 3]
    As she posts another letter to the sound of five
    People gather around her and she finds it hard to stay alive
    It's just another day

[Chorus]

[Bridge]
    So sad, so sad
    Alone in her apartment she'd dwell
    Till the man of her dreams comes to break the spell
    Stay, don't stand around
    And he comes, and he stays, but he leaves the next day
    So sad

[Verse 1]
    Everyday she takes a morning bath she wets her hair
    Wraps a towel around her as she's heading for the bedroom chair
    It's just another day
    Slipping into stockings, stepping into shoes
    Dipping in the pocket of her raincoat
    It's just another day

[Chorus]

Credits:

Produced by Paul McCartney
    Written by Paul McCartney and Linda McCartney
    Acoustic guitar, Bass, Electric guitar, Percussion, Vocals by Paul McCartney
    Backing Vocals by Linda McCartney
    Drums, Percussion by Denny Seiwell
    Acoustic guitar, Electric guitar by David Spinozza
    Recording Tim Geelan
    Recording assistant Ted Brosnan
    Mixed by Dixon Van Winkle
    Label: Apple Records
    Release Date: February 19, 1971
    Recorded at CBS Studios / A&R Studios
    Length: 3:42 minutes

Paul's comments:

Wingspan book 2002

"I like the idea of writing songs about ordinary people and day-to-day lives, and Another Day is one of them. We all get up in the morning and do our usual stuff, yet somehow – even through it all – there are often magic moments. We recorded it in New York with the help of Phil Ramone and it was a hit which, at that time, was especially pleasing."

Source: Another Day (song)

19. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

Tomorrow is a solid track -- not great but very good. It stands out from the rest of the album -- enough so that it almost feels like it was flown in from another set of recording sessions -- for being crisp, concise and purposeful. It knows where it's going, it goes there, and then it's done. On a better album it would be just an average track, but on Wild Life it's a standout.

20. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

From Wikipedia:

"Recording engineer on the Ram sessions Dixon Van Winkle said that Paul asked him to pick the single. With McCartney's blessing, Winkle mixed the song and pressed 100 copies for radio stations.

"The next day I heard it on the air, I realized...we got carried away with the bass part... it pumped like crazy. But we never remixed the song, and Paul never said anything.""

21. Wildest cat from montana

These two links weren't on the original album . Or were they? I don't remember them being there

22. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

They are, but they're unlisted.

23. Wildest cat from montana

Wow! I got ' Wild Life' upon release and don't remember them at all.
    Thanks for the heads up.

24. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

The apology song is "Dear Friend" 'coming up' 'tomorrow' but it's got a sparse lyric, is a bit vague and doesn't really apologize. Paul's father convinced Paul that he should get any bickering out of the spotlight and be the bigger man and apologize. Paul contacted John and they made up. By the time 'Wild Life' was released, John and Paul were good again hence John praising this album after trashing the first 2.

Found some comments by Paul on each except the finale:

Paul McCartney in "Conversations With McCartney", by Paul Du Noyer:

‘Mumbo’ is just a big scream of no words. A wacky idea, cos it was just ‘Whuurrrgghh A-hurrgghhh!’ and we mixed it back so it was like ‘Louie Louie’. Everyone’s going, What are the words of that? Just hope they don’t ask for the sheet music. Which no one ever did, luckily. ‘Love is strange’ was a song Linda and I had loved from the Fifties. ‘Wild life’ was about a visit of mine to a safari park in Kenya, where I saw a sign that said: ‘Elephants have the right of way’. ‘Some people never know’ was just me and Linda’s love song, us against the world. ‘I am your singer’ is similar. ‘Tomorrow’ – ‘bring a bag of bread and cheese’ – which is what we used to do around southern France, go in a little shop, buy a baguette, a bit of cheese, a couple of tomatoes, bottle of wine, go in a field.

Who Cares, Piiijiii, Hermes and 2 others like this.
  25. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

About Another Day...

Paul was trying to develop the song during the Get Back sessions on January 1969.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.