Bricks and mortar stores that treat you right.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Glmoneydawg, Oct 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident Thread Starter

The internet has made it tough for these guys....we need to support them if we want to actually hear the gear we purchase.I have dealt with Soundstage Fine Audio in Waterloo for over 30 years.Never had bad advice or a purchase i wasn't completely satisfied with.Mark has always treated me right....who do you buy from?

2. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

For those in the DFW region, I would recommend Audio Concepts. Nice balance of entry level to high end. Good people who give good advice.

Helom, djost and Glmoneydawg like this.
  3. russk

russk Forum Resident

For anyone in Central New York, Signature Sound in Liverpool is a great place. Lots of gear and the guy that runs it is a Rega Turntable guru.

Glmoneydawg likes this.
  4. Glmoneydawg

For anyone starting in this hobby....these relationships with your bricks and mortar stores can lead to trust....to the point that you can take gear home and try it in your own system....has for me anyway:)

wgriel likes this.
  5. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

Good people that don't charge outrageous Tennessee Sales Tax! :mad:

Glmoneydawg and DK Vinyl like this.
  6. Glmoneydawg

Lol..feel like you need to talk to your governer about that...not your local dealer.Diggin the avatar change btw.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  7. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

I did not realize the avatar was so dimensional. If you look at the picture the facial features shift around

Glmoneydawg likes this.
  8. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

Deja Vu Records in Natick, MA. It is run by a older lady, Elaini, who has been selling used vinyl forever. She also wholesales large volumes of used records and sells vinyl by the container overseas.

The small store is a mess with boxes everywhere and there is no order to things but if you are willing to spend a few hours digging you can find great deals.

Nothing is priced so she just eyeballs your stack and makes up a cheap price. I bought 11 albums for $40 including Led Zep II in EX shape. You won't usually find big names like Led Zep or the Beatles but lots of good stuff can be found

http://www.dejavurecords.net/

9. contium

contium Forum Resident

Although they also have an online presence, Upscale Audio is local for me and I absolutely love their attitude towards gear and music. Also Brooks Berdan is awesome. They demoed some extremely out of my range equipment for me several times just for the enjoyment of it. Literally dragged me into the room to listen. Really great people there too.

IRG and Glmoneydawg like this.
  10. Tom Littlefield

Tom Littlefield Forum Resident

Fidelis in Nashua, NH is a great place to shop, they are also the US distributor for Harbeth, Acoustic Signature and other European brands.

NH has no sales tax if you buy at the store (-;

Glmoneydawg and timind like this.
  11. widespot

widespot Well-Known Member

There is a place in Minneapolis, MN, Audio Perfection, that has been very cool to me. Always cool, though they know at this point in life my wants are relatively modest.

Glmoneydawg likes this.
  12. Luxmancl38

Luxmancl38 Forum Resident

Audio Video Therapy, Nashua NH. Been doing business w/them for 25 years. October 25th they will have their annual audio fall show. Always fun w/plenty of demos from a variety of Audio companies.

Glmoneydawg likes this.
  13. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

+1 on AV Therapy. I haven't had the opportunity to check out Fidelis.

Glmoneydawg likes this.
  14. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Eleni is a bit of an eccentric, and she can also be annoying if you're impatient, but if you are nice to her and just let Eleni be Eleni, she will cut you some amazing deals. I have found some fascinating oddities buried in the disorganized bins at her shop.

Thanks for the heads up! Nashua's only about 30 minutes from me, and I've driven by that store many times without going in.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    Glmoneydawg likes this.
  15. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

I guess I shouldn't be allowed to recommend myself, but, well, I am here in the Los Angeles area too. :magoo:

And I sincerely believe you ain't heard nothin' yet, until you've come to hear my Audio Note demos. Even if they are not in your price range, I welcome all to just listen and further educate your taste in sound. There is really nothing like it, it is so natural and truly communicates the emotion of live music.

But as far as me personally, how I treat customers, and my whole attitude about being an audio dealer, I won't toot my own horn.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  16. Geordietraveller

Geordietraveller Forum Resident

My vote goes to Soundhounds in Victoria BC. More like a family than a shop, they’ve always been so helpful in building my knowledge along with my system. Really great guys.

Glmoneydawg likes this.
  17. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

Audio Dimensions in Royal Oak, MI. First question when you walk in the door: "What music can we play for you today?" If you bring in a record they'll clean and play it for you on their crazy Maggie setup. Last time I dropped in to buy new brackets for my MGMC1s and ended up talking to the owner for an hour about chamber music.

It's a very small store with only a few employees, so you might have to wait a while for service, but they are always playing good music and there's tons of interesting gadgets and gear to look at.

Glmoneydawg likes this.
  18. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

Completely agree. If you are patient, chat her up and let her make suggestions to you she will go into the back and pull out some cherries she has picked from the massive amount of vinyl she gets.

That is how I got the EX+ copies of Led Zep 2 and McCartney RAM albums. She came out with a stack of Beatles and other big name bands for me to look at.

She really wants to be helpful so patience and being friendly will go a long way with her.

Glmoneydawg and action pact like this.
  19. Tom Littlefield

Tom Littlefield Forum Resident

No knock on AV Therapy but Fidelis carries a some of the higher end brands..

Glmoneydawg likes this.
  20. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

When Eleni likes you the bargains are even better, but she'll ask to borrow money. Somewhat frequently. She seems to crowdsource her operating budget. I have loaned her money, and I've met other forum members who have loaned her money. The rate of return she offers is insane, but she's up there in years so I worry that if something happens to her I won't get paid back. But anyhow, if you're there on the right day, and she likes you, amazing things can be acquired...

Love this place. Mark and John are the best. And no sales tax doesn't hurt either!

Glmoneydawg likes this.
  21. action pact

Yes, that's it exactly!

I don't go there very often, so she's never hit me up for a loan, but good lord...

Glmoneydawg likes this.
  22. tyinkc

tyinkc Senior Member

Vinyl Renaissance in Overland Park, Kansas (Kansas City area) New and used vinyl and CD's, audio gear both new and vintage. Live music and artist meet and greets. Nice guys to deal with. What's not to like!

4xoddic and Glmoneydawg like this.
  23. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

I go there fairly often, usually with another forum member whom I won't name at the moment (though I'm sure he wouldn't care). If you want to join me/us next time you are 100% welcome. She likes us, gives us great deals (better than usual even), and will probably extend that to you. And she usually brings out the secret stash for us! (if she has one on that given day) It always helps to bring her some good stuff to trade.

Glmoneydawg and action pact like this.
  24. action pact

Please do let me know the next time you go over there, and thanks!

Glmoneydawg and Lebowski like this.
  25. DeeKay

DeeKay Forum Resident

Your Avatar, guessing that’s your AN-E; stunning veneer, what is that?

Glmoneydawg likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.