Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

What are you talking about? I didn’t belittle anyone. I was referring to the statement about MOFI having issues with the cover and was wondering why no one here mentioned anything.

2. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

I'm not sure this is the movie scene I was really looking for but it captures the essence of the matter.

DavidD and Greenmonster2420 like this.
  3. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

Called MD about something else a couple days ago and also asked if he knew when Couldn't Stand the Weather was coming out. He said hopefully by the end of the year!

4. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Jim, you may not realize it, but saying the following is putting down someone who posts a problem:

It's this sort of thing that tends to snowball, implying that someone's issue might be really nitpicking and a problem not worth talking about or they're making a mountain out of a molehill. Either way, it's being judgemental about whether their problem is legitimate.

5. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

You’re literally making a mountain out of a molehill. The comment was not directed at anyone in particular. If you’re offended by it, then your own insecurities are to blame.

Just let it go.

I thought you hated the thought police?

jgrillo, Matt R., MikeT and 2 others like this.
  6. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Perhaps you're now being a nit picker?

jgrillo, Matt R., DavidD and 3 others like this.
  7. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

I don't know. It seems to me that being a nitpicker might be considered a positive thing in the context of this forum and its product review posts. In other words it could be taken as a compliment rather than a putdown. Most of us likely want to know all the details relating to the quality of expensive vinyl purchases.

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  8. AnalogJ

A "nitpicker" is not a positive term. It's a belittling one. An "astute eye or ear" would be positive, in contrast.

And regarding "thought police", it's about context. It's one thing to offer an opinion or an observation about the music. It's another to post an opinion about whether another poster is justified in posting their opinion about the music or pressing.

And it should really not hard to understand the difference. If someone posts about a problem they're experiencing, don't put them down for it, even if it's not directly aimed at them by name. I get PMs from those who feel intimidated, feeling ganged up on by those who put them down for talking about pressing defects. I'm just speaking out for them.

Anyway, let's get back to talking about the music and the pressings.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  9. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life

This, please.

I don’t have the Abraxas or Village Vanguard, but to me the Monk is the best I’ve heard in this series.

OptimisticGoat and Twinsfan007 like this.
  10. Gdgray

Gdgray Forum Resident

I feel your pain. I have opposite issue, six months from 70. I get the “do you need help Sir”!
    I promptly tell them to F off and inform them I have shoes older than them.
    I am looking forward to Monk. Never listen to CD much but pulled it out to listened and
    Surprised at how much I liked it.
    Have the Two Evans and Dylan, really enjoying all three. Definitely in for Mingus.
    Peace

11. This gave me a good laugh :biglaugh:

DavidD likes this.
  12. AnalogJ

The Abraxas is the gold standard thus far, in my opinion.

I'm so tempted, but my budget is already being strained right now. I have Ah Um on preorder. And while Monk's Dream is an excellent album, musically it's not necessarily a must and a landmark the way Ah Um is.

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  13. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I've posted problems. Sometimes I nitpick. So, I guess I'm part of the gang. Someone who finds faults in details that are not important. I did not single anybody out. I suppose choice of words here could be better. Perhaps fussy? I mean there are people here that look really really closely at covers. I was just surprised there was a problem with the cover on the Monk one step. Usually, someone on here finds it.

AnalogJ likes this.
  14. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Thank you.

Admerr likes this.
  15. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

hahaha:laugh:

Slick Willie likes this.
  16. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yeah, I really meant the nitpicker comment as kind of a term of endearment. This is a hobby and nothing about it is really important, but I do appreciate those that go into great detail with a passion. See the cartridge wear thread.

soundQman, MisterBritt and Grohlfan like this.
  17. AnalogJ

Got it. But most don't take that as a positive comment. Nitpicking is really not generally a term of endearment. Even "fussy" is not widely perceived as a term of endearment. As far as being "though police", again it depends on context. A skinhead espousing racist thoughts and actions is not to be tolerated. Same with someone espousing the killing of a political figure. And yelling "fire" in a crowded theater isn't either.

You guys, you do realize that there's a gang mentality element that does gang up on posters who may say unpopular things. We particularly get threads that are dedicated to a label, whether it be the MFSL One-Steps or Music Matters Jazz or Tone Poets. We saw the Tone Poet thread catch fire when a few people pointed out a major problem with one of the reissues. Fierce reactions came heavily criticizing those who brought the problem to the forefront, often from people who didn't hear the problem at all themselves. Yet, several people posted samples and one person posted a graph showing the soundwaves that proved the problem existed. But the vitriol from those who didn't want the problem to be discussed raised the heat. And ironically, those people were complaining that the people posting about the problem were going on and on about it. In response, one poster went and tallied up the number of posts written criticizing those that posted about hearing the problem compared to those actually writing about the problem itself. Those posting to criticize those posting about the problem posted twice as many times as those posting about the problem itself.

In the future, my suggestion is to refrain from commenting about those who post problems, and just keep the posts to your own experience. If you encounter a problem or hate the mastering or the customer service, post about it. If you have a flawless copy and/or feel exalted about a pressing, post about that. Just keep the discussion to the stuff and stay away from making judgements about whether a poster is being too picky, or not picky enough.

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  18. AnalogJ

Of course, I'm not saying that calling someone " nitpicker" is equally as heinous as those other examples I cited. I'm suggesting that saying that there is obviously some point where limiting "free speech" is warranted, that certain things are harmful to the common good..

19. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

You can pick a nit
    You can knit your friends pick
    But you cant get your friend to stop nitpicking

:laugh:

My gawd, go listen to some music.

I mean once you start answering yourself ... its all over but watching the turntable go round and round.

20. spacecoyote

spacecoyote Astral Resident

Quoted for the content of truth.

Has anyone preordered Ah Um from MoFi? Or just Music Direct?

21. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Is the Charlie Mingus, "Ah Um" a MFSL 180gram, 33rpm only not a 45rpm? It's not a One-Step either?

22. it is a 45rpm one step

spacecoyote likes this.
  23. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Ok thanks. Will it probably be released next year sometime, but it can be order now?

24. Yeah, you can preorder by calling Music Direct. They haven’t listed it online yet as far as I am aware.

25. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

You really don’t need to justify yourself to anyone, including the OP.