Recommendations- Building a Benny Goodman Collection

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ponso1966, Mar 2, 2019.

1. From the CAPITOL Big Band Series " The Hits of...." here is the Benny Goodman volume

A weak point of many Capitol LP's is the missing data about artists, recording dates and engineering in the liner notes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Artur Torres likes this.
  2. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

I believe this essentially is a reissue of Benny Goodman in Hi-Fi, which was recorded in mono, perhaps with fewer tracks. I have this album and it states that it is reprocessed "Duophonic" stereo. Is this one mono? It has the same cover as mine (sans the Duophonic indication). It can be hard to keep track of the Capitol reissues, but they sound good to me (whether mono or Duophonic).

Artur Torres likes this.
  3. This may be correct.
    My copy of "B.G. In Hi-Fi" is a japanese edition ECJ-60016 from the series "Capitol Big Bands Entertainment".
    It has a total of 16 tracks. All recorded in Mono
    The liner notes are in japanese language. Track order and titles are somewhat different (not all however).
    The US edition Capitol SM-1514 seems to be a "processed" Stereo with 12 tracks

I add the content from the japanese edition & tghe US edition and you can caompare it
    The front cover pics are different.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

misterjones likes this.
  4. Here is another one I may have posted earlier in another thread. Its hard to keep track with the pics posted sallready.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. misterjones

I have the 10 inch LP version of this. The SQ is pretty bad due to scratching, and I may have removed it from my collection. (I keep my lousy sounding records in a separate storage area. I probably should just throw them away.). Back then they typically put LPs directly into the cardboard jackets, so scratching after 60-70 years is almost inevitable. The exception is HMV 10 inchers. I have two or three. They were housed in sleeves with glossy, flexible jackets. Much nicer than their US counterparts. The 45 RPM boxes were a better way to store the records, but you have to play them one at a time ( unless you have a record changer).

6. When an inner sleeve is missing I ad one to avoid what you described above. It pays out in the long run.

misterjones likes this.
  7. misterjones

With many of my 10" LPs, I've gone so far as to cut down and fold MoFi sleeves. There are, as I have discovered, rounded inner (essentially soft plastic) sleeves you can buy that work better than square ones. Many 10" LP jackets had a rounded inner core so the record would fit more snugly inside. Those don't accommodate square sleeves. In cases where the jacket already is split, I have opened them up and removed the offending cardboard.

I also put my 10" LPs in 10" plastic covers. It's a pretty snug fit with some. I've cut down jackets (probably about 1/8") that aren't worth saving as-is. With others, I have folded down a 12" plastic cover. With 7" 45 RPM boxes I use reel-to-reel box covers. They are a good fit.

JazzcornerND likes this.
  8. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Don't forget the terrific 1956 soundtrack recordings for the film The Benny Goodman Story".
    Originally two LP's on Decca, they've been reissued several times and are terrific. Goodman,
    and many members of his original group (Krupa, Harry James, Teddy Wilson, Lionel Hampton,
    etc) are on the LP's, and the performances are terrific. There was also a Capitol "The Benny Goodman
    Story" which was implied it was the soundtrack, but wasn't.
    This CD has both LP's on one CD...
    [​IMG]
    And here's a clip from the film I uploaded to Vimeo a while back to give you an idea how good
    they recreated his music for the film.

JazzcornerND likes this.
  9. Re: taking care of LP's

Yes that sounds good. Have only a few 10" Lp's but like yours in plastic covers. They look like new which is important when selling one here and then.

10. misterjones

Not to be confused with the following, which are Goodman's Capitol remakes of his Decca remakes. He did not like his original Decca Benny Goodman Story recordings, so he returned to the studio for another go-round with Capitol.

[​IMG]

Dennis Metz likes this.
  11. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Absolutely love Sing, Sing, Sing. Unfortunately, that is all I know of him.

12. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

So -- I bought a US 2CD of this at some point into the late-80s. (Colombia? CBS?) No good, huh?

13. misterjones

I think this (below) is the best of the bunch. Nothing is outstanding, however. I'm surprised, and disappointed, nothing better emerged on the 80th anniversary.

I'll anticipate the comments about the superior quality of the so-called Jazz Concert No.2, as well as the remainder of the Savory recordings available only on LP (and, unfortunately, not at all on Mosaic's Savory collection).

[​IMG]

14. I have this japanese CD edition below from 1986. Is that the same recording as your Capitol cover shown above?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. misterjones

Same cover, but I have the Capitol S706 LP from 1956 - Benny Goodman - The Benny Goodman Story

Some of those original S706 LPs have just writing on the cover (like mine) while others have a picture of Goodman. I'm not sure why. I was under the impression the former came first. Maybe they thought a picture of Benny would jazz it up a bit and sell more copies so they scrapped the less interesting cover.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    JazzcornerND likes this.
  16. Yes that is plausible. A good foto sells.

17. ella_swings

ella_swings Forum Resident

The latter CD (50 tracks in one day) is a reissue of the "Rhythm Makers Orchestra" tracks from Sunbeam LPs 101, 102, and 103. I just spent a couple of hours ripping them from vinyl only to see this! Oh well. Grabbed the last copy from Amazon.

18. misterjones

I have three Jasmine CDs, and I've yet to be disappointed. I've listened to the "50 tracks"on Spotify, but it wasn't the Jasmine version. Let us know how it compares with the Sunbeam LPs.

Speaking of Jasmine, I recently bought this one, which sounds quite good.

[​IMG]

19. ella_swings

I'd give my left arm for this (right, too but then I couldn't load vinyl on the turntable). I have both the 8x2 gatefolds and the 16 LP boxed set "Complete" from RCA Bluebird but for the life of me can't understand why they also didn't release this in the US as a CD boxed-set similar to the Glenn Miller set (it is very literally the same wedge-fold box as the Glenn Miller set. Same black color too). There are, of course, the Benny Goodman Chronological discs from France, but they are frustratingly difficult to get ahold of. I wish I would have heard about the Chronological when they came out in the early 2000's.

misterjones likes this.
  20. djcavanagh

djcavanagh Forum Resident

I managed to buy the Rca cd set from Japan in April for £80 shipped via a yahoo auction. I used buyee.jp so it is worth keeping an eye on these auctions if you want the cd set.

21. misterjones

Which do you think sounds better, the 8x2 or the 16 LP? I have one of the double LPs and did not notice the 16 LP set was digitally remastered before I bought it. To my surprise, I thought the 16 LP (from 1986) sounded better than their 1970s counterparts.

22. ella_swings

Good question. The 16LP set is still sealed. I never bothered opening it since I assumed it was an exact clone of the 8x2 gatefolds. I found it for $10 in a Goodwill a few years ago and like keeping sealed records sealed when they are clones of other LPs or CDs. Now I'll have to stop by my favorite local record store (Jerry's) and see if they have a copy.

23. ella_swings

Excellent tip. Much appreciated.

24. misterjones

A reasonable assumption, as there is not outward indication of any remastering other than "Digital Remastering" on the spine, which is easy to miss. A note inside at least suggests they went back to the original RCA Victor tapes (such as they were) and engaged in a new remastering . . . with the caveat "digital recording is not magic, so where imperfections exist in original source recordings , they have been removed only insofar as their removal will not cause a loss in the sound of the music". I have no idea what was done (if anything) to the Japanese CD box. I've read several opinions that the Japanese often favor the "high end" in remastering (and I can understand that comment after listening to my Japanese Goodman-Lee LP set).

My view is that the RCA Victor / Bluebird stuff involving Steve Backer (listed as the Executive Producer of the 16 LP set) in the mid-to-late 1980s is quite good (in light of what he and his staff had to work with). I have most of his jazz CDs. Two or three years ago I affirmatively sought them out and bought most or all I could find. No complete sets (other than the Goodman) but some great one to three CD overviews.

25. ella_swings

I received the "50 Tracks in One Day" reissue of the Thesaurus/Rhythm Makers LPs from the 1970s and there is simply no comparison between the two. None. My LPs are perfectly clean without even a hairline scratch and they sound awful compared to the CD version from Jasmine. I expected given that the LPs were mastered from plastic discs produced in 1935 that the CD version would only be able to get out only a limited amount of pops, clicks, and hiss. Much to my surprise, there is none. Not an errant pop, wandering click, or snake-like hiss anywhere on the CDs. I ordered the Carnegie Hall concert at the same time and am similarly delighted with it. I've been listening to the poorly mastered 1988 Columbia CD for years and just thought it was the best we could get. The Jasmine set blows it away. I can't imagine the amount of time and patience it takes to remaster these old recordings, but I am very grateful for it!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

misterjones likes this.