Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

I can attest that Point of Departure after a few IPAs is a wonderfully rewarding experience :righton:

musictoad, Twinsfan007 and mikeyt like this.
  2. Point of Departure is always rewarding. But I can think of a few enhancers myself :nyah:

alarickc, mikeyt and Aura like this.
  3. Has anyone compared Blue & Sentimental MM to the AP? I have the MM, but it is quite noisy. I was thinking of trying another copy or maybe just going for the AP instead. Any input would be appreciated!

Fender Relic likes this.
  4. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Don’t know about the AP but the MM i bought Used was definitely noisy on side one. I cleaned that thing multiple times, spin clean twice, vacuum clean, finally a friend’s ultrasonic and got it pretty good with only a few tics left. My guess is it’s such a quiet album with lots of space that any little noise is noticeable. Good luck, it’s a favorite of mine so i toyed with getting another copy but just couldn’t swing it

mikeyt and Fender Relic like this.
  5. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

One nice thing about SHF is reading posts like yours that send me scurrying to see if my copy is like yours....and it is! Some static background noise for sure. I think I did notice it upon first play and have listened a few times since but it must have never been a big enough issue for me to give it a clean...yet. Thanks for the heads up though.

I had a few guys over last night that buy/sell/trade with me and they wanted a few LP's that I thought were noisy and I random sampled play first to give them an idea and they were just fine with it. In fact, the one guy says...I like a little noise to remind me I'm listening to a real vinyl record.

:shrug: to each their own.

Dmann201, mikeyt, timzigs and 3 others like this.
  6. I’ve found the MMJ 33s (non-SRX) to be at least little noisy pretty much across the board. Not sure why. It’s not unbearable but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t wish they were quieter.

7. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Interesting. Not a single MMJ (45 or 33) I own is in the least bit noisy. I've had non-fill on a couple but got replacements which turned out to be perfect.

mikeyt and Greenmonster2420 like this.
  8. Fender Relic

I think I noticed another one out of 20 or so that I have but I forget now which one. My copy of True Blue on blue vinyl has what music be non-fill right near the end of one of the sides...slightly annoying but un-returnable IIRC.

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  9. Fender Relic

I'm almost thru side 2 of Blue & Sentimental and yes,it's much quieter than side 1...:agree: A great record though on musical terms alone.

Elofan and Greenmonster2420 like this.
  10. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

OK - sending this out there to see if any of you all wouldn't mind sharing your input on the missing MM's currently from my collection, and if I'm missing something that you'd consider "essemtial". I'm in a real good place currently with my MM collection and feel like I've got my priorities within the series pretty well covered, but you never know what gem you may have overlooked! Thanks for taking the time. Below is what I don't have MM wise:

Horace Silver Jazz Messengers 1518
    JR Monterose 1536
    Lee Morgan Indeed 1538
    Six Pieces of Silver 1539
    Stylings of Silver 1562
    Curtis Fuller The Opener 1567
    Sonny Clark Dial S for Sonny 1570
    John Jenkins with Kenny Burrell 1573
    Hank Mobley Quartet 5066 (have an original 10" twofer with some Wallington fellow)
    Johnny Griffin Congregation 1580
    Lou Donaldson Lou Takes Off 1591
    Sonny Rollins Newk's Time 4001
    Donald Byrd in Hand 4019
    Dizzy Reece Star Bright 4023
    Jackie McLean Swing, Swang, Swingin 4024
    Lee Morgan Leeway 4034 (Have the AP)
    Stanley Turrentine Look Out! 4039
    Jackie's Bag 4051 (Have the AP)
    Freddie Hubbard Goin Up 4056
    Grant Green Green Street 4071 (Have the AP)
    Donald Byrd Royal Flush 4101
    Herbie Hancock Takin Off 4109 (Have the BN80)
    Dexter Gordon Swingin Affair 4133
    Joe Henderson Page One 4140
    Lee Morgan Sidewinder 4157 (Have a Liberty issue)
    Lee Morgan Gigolo 4212
    Hank Mobley Another Workout 4431

My goal is maybe to get one final MM order in before the end of the year and call it done! Thank you for any input you might have.

Bryce likes this.
  11. From that list, I consider Page One and Royal Flush as essential. Takin' Off and Sidewinder are essential, but if you're happy with the copies you have, I'd personally opt for more variety, especially since these ones aren't cheap. I also love Byrd in Hand and Look Out! is near the top of my to-buy list. Finally, The Congregation is an absolute steal for $35, I'd have to recommend picking that one up.

My apologies to your wallet :laugh:

timzigs likes this.
  12. Interesting. "Noisy" is subjective, I suppose. But I mean minor surface noise, not non-fill or the like. Many of my 45s are about as flawless as vinyl can get, but the 33s not so much. But I am very, very picky when it comes to noise, so noisy to me may be unnoticed by others. I also do a lot of headphone listening which makes any amount of noise more apparent.

13. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Thank you! No worries to the wallet, its been hurt a plenty this is just the final tearing off the bandaid!

Currently have Page One Byrd in hand and Congregation in the cart :) Should have bought Look Out! when I saw it vacationing in Phoenix over the summer and it was enticing me on one of my record shop forays, I'll need to look more into it as I'm not super familiar with the title, I've got all the other Turrentines and enjoy them a lot.

The Takin Off BN80 is solid sounding but in the world of BN Hancock I found it musically lackluster (its no speak my child, inventions dimensions, maiden voyage nor empyrean isles). My Sidewinder OG Liberty pressing is a freaking banger, such a fun party record not audiophile sounding whatsoever but tons of fun for the $10 I spent on it, wouldn't mind actually grabbing the MM but its OOS. I'd love the Royal Flush but that's OOS and currently on my discogs watch list.

EDIT: Page One Byrd in Hand Look Out and the Griffin Congregation leaves you $5.15 short of free shipping :p

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  14. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I agree w Greenmonster about Page 0ne and Royal Flush.
    But Id say Gigolo is the biggest oversite. Maybe in my top 3 of Lees work
    Other then those three I am a huge Rollins fan so Newks Time would be a must have as well

timzigs and Greenmonster2420 like this.
  15. Fender Relic

Your list looks a lot like mine :)

Page One would be my call. I don't have it either but it's on my "to buy" list. Goin' Up ....maybe?

timzigs likes this.
  16. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

1. Donald Byrd Royal Flush
    2. Joe Henderson Page One
    3. Hank Mobley Another Workout
    4. Sonny Rollins Newk's Time
    5. Lee Morgan Gigolo....or Leeway to get you free MMJ shipping :)

17. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

This might be one to consider as well -- I've always liked Dexter on this record but have the Classic.

recstar24 likes this.
  18. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

Royal Flush and Page One are two I couldn't go without, close to essential. Dial S For Sonny is another I really love.

AaronW and timzigs like this.
  19. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

And of course the one common one you all recommend, Royal Flush, is the OOS and going for wahoo prices online :D

20. Since Joe Harley and Kevin Grey announces that Tone Poet releases would continue for 4 or 5 more years, I wonder if that will affect future MMJ releases!!!??

21. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Nah. MMJ has their licensed releases and will only rehash them. TP doesn't duplicate MMJ. They will always be separate.

recstar24 likes this.
  22. wellers73

wellers73 Forum Resident

Just ordered Adam’s Apple and Solid, both in SRX. I already have the 45s of both. But, you know...

23. Understand that, however I thought there may be future SRX MMJs of different titles next year ?

Why would Bluenote license any others when they can keep everything in house ?

Unless you are saying any future MMJs will be rehashed of the same titles and nothing new ?

24. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

My understanding is if they do more SRX titles it'll be titles they already have licenses to. I highly doubt they'll acquire new licenses.

Mazzy likes this.
  25. thank you. That’s what I thought.

musictoad likes this.