M*A*S*H Memories

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Wildest cat from montana, Oct 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Towards the end, especially noticeable among the minor characters and supporting cast like Potter, Margaret, Klinger and Rizzo.

Dwight Fry likes this.
  2. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

I probably said this in another thread, but where the show really started to overstay its welcome was when family members started showing up. Potter and Margaret both had visitors.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  3. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Unfortunately, you're not misremembering it... In the later seasons, a lot of the show's dialog became one bad pun after another...

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  4. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

You ain't kidding, those episodes are horrible, no matter which season/"era" they're from...

5. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

The all time champ:

MARINE SGT: "We're here to arrest Captain Pierce."

B.J.: "Oh Hawkeye... Have you been rotten to the Corps?"

6. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

What I wonder is why any of the other characters who left didn't express concern about their planes being shot down over the Sea of Japan like Henry's was!

Seoul is already 50 miles from the front. A flight to Tokyo isn't going to get any closer. There was no sea battle in Korea as North Korea's navy was always bottled up. So no support for any planes venturing over the sea. So either some rogue went deep into UN airspace simply looking for stray planes to shot down, or Henry's plane was far off course. Doesn't seem like a very likely death.

czeskleba likes this.
  7. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Seoul was actually captured four times during the war:

Battle of Seoul - Wikipedia

I don't believe this was ever mentioned on the series

8. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I watched the entire series in my youth (reruns or when the show actually ran), but I've never seen the final episode. Weird, huh?

9. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

I've only seen a few moments of it

10. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

It is a 2 1/2 hour episode, and Fox declined to split it up and show it as five episodes in the standard syndication package (the right call, IMO - contrast it with the “Cheers” finale which is split up and badly edited for syndication). CBS showed it twice in 1983 and then showed it once more in 1984, a year after the series ended. It was released on home video, but not shown on TV again until the early 90s, when Fox syndicated it as a special, separate from the series (in my home market, a different station showed the finale than the one that was still showing the regular series).

Since then, it has turned up occasionally on cable and even on ME-TV, but always as a special and never part of the regular rerun rotation. So it’s arguably the hardest MASH episode to find on TV.

11. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I never thought of that before. It would have been just as easy (and far more plausible) to say his jeep got hit by a sniper en route to Seoul. I guess they wanted there to be some passage of time between his departure from the camp and his death, though, for dramatic purposes. Or maybe Henry was on this flight... MASH was never big on historical accuracy or proper chronology.

12. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

Margaret's dad was an ass.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  13. Wildest cat from montana

Weird? Maybe. But you ain't missing much.

GodShifter and evillouie like this.
  14. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

My memories of MASH not related to episodes or characters are:

M*A*S*H Gin. It came in an I.V. bottle with a little stand to hang it upside down. It even had a rubber stopper with a rubber line going through it to dispenses the gin and one of those devices burses use to control and stop the flow. Pretty clever, I thought.

For the final episode, a hotel in Hartford had a viewing party in a big convention room. it was all decked out to look like the MASH camp with tents and jeeps and everything. I went dressed as Hawkeye in a bathrobe with army boots and carrying a golf club. It was a lot of fun and a great party (I swilled martinis, of course).

15. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

And trite. The strict parent who the child feels they could never be good enough for?

I know that happens in real life and needs representation, but it's just so overused in tv.

16. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

That was all over by April 1951. Hornberger, the original source, was there from 1952-53. Despite multiple wonky dates and a few feints at bugging out, it is Hornberger's MASH that is portrayed in the show.

Otto Apel, a consultant for the show and a fellow MASH surgeon during the Korean War, wrote a non-fiction book about his experiences. Apel served from 1951-52. Apel was mostly satisfied and proud of his service. He'd taken a deferment during WWII along with other med school track students, with the promise of later service. He could've lined up a reserve slot like many of his fellow students, but opted to go to Korea anyway. Even re-upped for an additional 4 month stint when asked to by the Army.

Apel's MASH comes across as more primitive but still building towards the permanence of Hornberger's MASH. Following his service, Apel made a return visit to his unit during what would have been Hornberger's time (not Hornberger's particular MASH) and was appalled by how dissolute the atmosphere had gotten! Guess he never watched the show!

17. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

18. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

The opening episode is set in 1950.

The show could have dealt with Seoul being captured: Hawkeye and Trapper on leave then trying to escape the attack, or for a later episode, Hawkeye sends Radar to his favorite Seoul brothel and is guilt ridden when Radar turns up missing during the battle.

19. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Hawkeye would have had a year or two service commitment. That he was there so long was very unrealistic.

20. Wildest cat from montana

It ' s available on YouTube...if you're interested.

GodShifter likes this.
  21. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

I always liked Igor, I wish thay would have made him a regular cast member, or at the very least given him an episode or two where he was prominently featured.

22. vinnie

vinnie Senior Member

Jeep...tent...boom!

23. questrider

questrider Forum Resident

[​IMG]

24. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

Like I said, the dates are wonky.

"A War For All Seasons" really messes things up by taking place over an entire year. New Year's Eve 1950 to New Year's Eve 1951. But Potter is there, and we've already seen Potter arrive... in 1952. "A War For All Seasons" also has the misfortune of being tied to actual historical events, so hard to explain away.

25. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

I watched the last episode after reading through this thread, unsure if I’d ever seen it (it’s on YouTube)

Wow what a stinker of an episode, badly written overtly sentimental and bombastic acting.

A really terrible way to end such a iconic series.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.