Graham 2.2 azimuth problems

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ashulman, Oct 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ashulman

ashulman Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm having trouble setting azimuth on my Graham 2.2. The tungsten weights seem to have little effect on azimuth in either direction. Has anyone else experienced this or have any advice?

2. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but its likely a defective tonearm. I remember reading some years ago about about manufacturing problems impacting the quality of Graham tonearms, particularly with respect to azimuth. This is not uncommon for small, boutique manufacturers who don't have any training and experience in industry best-practices for providing quality, e.g., measurements systems analysis, capability analysis, and statistical process control. The problems Schiit is having with the Sol TT is a case in point.

My advice is to send it back to Graham for repair or service.

macster likes this.
  3. puroagave

puroagave Forum Resident

When you grasp the pivot housing does it rock back and forth freely? I owned the 2.2 and Phantom for a number of years, the B44 used a completely different scheme (magneglide) to adjust azimuth employing a rotating carriage and magnets. The side weights on the 2.2 worked flawlessly for me. Remove the retaining cap and inspect the bearing cup, perhaps damping fluid has gummed up and is inhibiting proper movement. If you're sighting the cartridge head on, we're talking very minute side-to-side adjustments which may not be obvious with the naked eye.

@Puma Cat: why comment with 2nd hand information about the workings of an arm you never owned or used?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.