Groups you would never even check out, due to their name.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jaycat, Jan 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Thanks for bringing it to my attention. It's good to know that I'm not the only one who hate that band name.

2. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

Hey, Cradle of Filth is an awesome name! The guy who writes their lyrics really has a way with words--he's kind of the Morrissey of Metal in that regard. Btw, if you are interested in black/goth metal, their Cruelty and the Beast is a masterpiece.

3. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

4. writteninwater

writteninwater Forum Resident

Unimaginative band names. So unimaginative.. I can't even remember them.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  5. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

That's literally what it is.

Geggy Tah is a band initially composed of writer/singer Tommy Jordan and keyboard/guitarist Greg Kurstin. Each of them has a younger sister who was unable to pronounce her brother's name when very young; "Geggy" and "Tah" were the baby girls' mispronunciations of their brothers' names.

robcar likes this.
  6. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

This ^ , also, in general, any name that even the most tolerant of people would find to be in extremely poor taste - the theory being that any artist lacking the class to not choose a name I wouldn't want to hear tripping across the tongue of a six-year old has nothing of value to offer.

7. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

You can't judge a book by its cover ...

8. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

"My Dying Bride"

Just the name makes me wince. What was he/she/they thinking?

9. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Such as The Band.;)

10. writteninwater

That's simple brilliance. Post-modernism at its best. ; )

danasgoodstuff likes this.
  11. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Thanks for the recs.

12. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

You're welcome.

There's also The Pop Group, but they were being ironic.

13. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Saw them several times in Boston. Pretty good Texas LSD music. I believe their lead guitarist made an attempt to bring back Roky Erickson, another example of trippy music from the south.

14. writteninwater

Yeah, it's not so good. It's more pop art maybe. I love The Band. I'm more sceptical when I stumble across new bands that call themsves The Band or Nirvana and stuff like that. They take a name that already exists. That's unimaginative in the internet era when you can google everything..

15. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I think The Band struggled to find an alternative, and the name just stuck. Radiohead is one that just seems like an afterthought. Is the Talking Heads track that important to them? Sometimes I like the band name more than the band, e.g., The Mooney Suzuki (named after the two lead singers in Can).

16. writteninwater

The thing with The Band I think is that it fits the group of musicians. They were -the band-. It's part of it, in my opinion, that the music and the aura and everything goes with it. It's not for eervryone to call themeselves The Band, it creates expectations.

17. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

Smegma and The Nunz
    Mike Hunt's Honorable Discharge (almost an early Chrissie Hynde band, i believe?)

18. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

The Dead Kennedys do NOT belong in that list of s****y bands. Just trying to keep it real... (ok maybe Anthrax)

19. BillyBuck

BillyBuck Forum Resident

In my college town in the ‘90s there was a band called Vomit Launch, which might suggest heavy industrial or aggro-punk. In reality, they were a very melodic indie band with two female members, possibly an influence on later dream-pop bands.

Incidentally, Vomit Launch’s bassist was Larry Crane, now a studio owner and the publisher of the highly-regarded Tape Op magazine and podcast.

Dodoz likes this.
  20. mojo525

mojo525 Music Accumulator

I'm friendly with the owners of a local concert facility. They said the rudest bunch of assholes they ever hosted were And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead. The band strutted around barking orders at staff, trashed the facility, trashed the facility's equipment before a poorly attended show. Now they're forever known around here as And You Will Know Us By the Lack of Fans.
    Another band name that I thought pretentious was Minus the Bear. Then I heard the band tell the story: One of the members had a date with a particularly beautiful woman, and was way excited. The day after the date, his bandmates asked him about it. "Do you remember that old TV show B.J.and the Bear?" he replied. "It was like that, minus the bear."

21. Finch Platte

Finch Platte Lettme Rundatt Bayou

Was this in Visalia, by any chance?

22. mojo525

mojo525 Music Accumulator

No -- Ohio. Why? Do you have a similar experience?

23. Finch Platte

Finch Platte Lettme Rundatt Bayou

No, I just remember seeing a poster for a gig they did in Visalia, and thought- man that would be weird if it were the same gig.

24. The Circle Jerks.

25. yesteryear

yesteryear Wild Honey Laureate

Anyone that uses titles or phrases from classical literature. I find that cringeworthy.

(I’m sure something I actually like will come back to bite me, but this is pretty rule of the thumb)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.