Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, May 26, 2019.

1. To the best of my knowledge I don't think there was a TV promotion for this, perhaps you're thinking of this one?

2. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

No I remember that one. My Mom ordered it as a gift for my Dad. For some reason I can hear the TV announcer's voice saying "Elvis-Double Dynamite". I could be wrong though.

mark winstanley, Shawn and Dave112 like this.
  3. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

I remember The Wonderful World Of Christmas being sold on TV at Christmas time and I can see where Double Dynamite could have been advised as a mail order album. Did you live in the southern US?

mark winstanley and clhboa like this.
  4. Cool - I'll do some looking/digging then because if there is one I would certainly like to see it! If I find anything I'll post it here.

mark winstanley, Dave112 and clhboa like this.
  5. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

ELVIS - A LEGENDARY PERFORMER, VOLUME 2 (LP)
    (US) RCA CPL1 1349
    Released: January 1976

[​IMG][​IMG]

Elvis: A Legendary Performer Volume 2 is a compilation album featuring recordings by American singer and musician Elvis Presley. As with the first volume of the series, issued in 1974, the collection was a mixture of previously released and never-before-released recordings.

The album was certified Gold on October 25, 1977 and Platinum and 2× Platinum on July 15, 1999 by the RIAA.[1]

Side A
    1. "Harbor Lights" (previously unreleased Sunmaster) Jimmy Kennedy, Hugh Williams July 1, 1954 2:35
    2. "Interview with Elvis: Jay Thompson" August 12, 1956 3:34
    3. "I Want You, I Need You, I Love You" (previously unreleased alternate take) Lou Kosloff, George Mysels April 11, 1956 2:40
    4. "Blue Suede Shoes" (previously unreleased live version) Carl Perkins June 27, 1968 1:37
    5. "Blue Christmas" Billy Hayes and Jay Johnson September 5, 1957 2:30
    6. "Jailhouse Rock" Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller June 14, 1957 2:25
    7. "It's Now or Never" Eduardo DeCapua, Wally Gold, Aaron Schroeder April 3, 1960 3:12

Side B
    1. "A Cane and a High Starched Collar" (previously unreleased) Sid Tepper, Roy C. Bennett August 12, 1960 2:40
    2. "Presentation of Awards to Elvis" March 25, 1961 1:24
    3. "Blue Hawaii" (previously unreleased live version) Ralph Rainger, Leo Robin January 14, 1973 2:29
    4. "Such a Night" Lincoln Chase April 4, 1960 3:36
    5. "Baby, What You Want Me to Do" (previously unreleased live version) Jimmy Reed June 27, 1968 1:44
    6. "How Great Thou Art" Stuart K. Hine May 25, 1966 2:58
    7. "If I Can Dream" Walter Earl Brown June 30, 1968 3:14
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here we have a follow up to Legendary Performer. It actually has some previously unreleased tracks on it, and one of which is certainly new to me.
    The track list for this is actually excellent, and having a somewhat roughly chronological order, helps it in terms of flow, at least from a visual look at the album, as I have never had this release.
    Again I have little to no knowledge of this album, and the only thing I can really say is that I wouldn't have been a fan of the interview and award ceremony interrupting the music.
    So please give us your input about this album, and we'll hit the bonus tracks tomorrow.

Cheers
    Mark

6. This is another one I got soon after it came out and was a birthday gift from my parents (I still remember my mom saying she thought I'd like it as it came with a booklet). It's not one I specifically asked for but was happy to get it of course. I think I listened to the interviews once or twice at the time but would skip them every time after. Speaking of the booklet, it was mind-opening to me to see the various ephemera it contained, although was mad that a lot of the images were cropped so you only saw parts. Guessing this was the first time I ever heard an alternate studio take with I Want You I Need You I Love You. A very nice gift at the time, and I still have it :)

Dave112, RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  7. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

The best track on this (for me) when it came out was the false start on "Such A Night". I think
    that was the first time hearing a false start, way before all the ones we later got on all of the
    studio bootlegs to come....

Dave112, RSteven, Shawn and 1 other person like this.
  8. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

I had to buy this LP twice. I bought the first one used around 1979 or so. I read the booklet which mentioned something about "studio banter" and "extras" on Cane And A High Starched Collar and Such A Night. Well MY copy did not have any false starts or studio banter. So eventually I bought a new copy at JC Penny which did have it.

I wrote to Jerry Osborne telling him of my LP without the false starts, which earned me a contributor's mention in his 2nd Edition of Presleyana published in 1983. I also sent him confirmation on an earlier date that a Silver Top Stereo label version was issued for Roustabout. I am not sure if that was news to him or not. (It is STILL news to the people who designed the CD face for Roustabout for The Album Collection, apparently.)

All four volumes of A Legendary Performer were nice to have. Colonel's involvement was the nice booklets. The original pressings featured a die-cut cover exposing the inner sleeve which had the same picture as the front cover of the booklet inside. Later pressings had a solid cover replicating the die cut cover with a circle copying the cover of the booklet. V2 highlights for me was I Want You, INY, ILY alternate take, TV Special sit-down Blue Suede Shoes and the Such A Night false starts. The interviews on these volume were a nuisance and I saw no need for the masters to be reissued on these volumes. In fact I think all the good stuff could have fit on TWO volumes! Volume 4 was the most packed with new stuff.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  9. Dave112, artfromtex and RSteven like this.
  10. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I had to foolishly buy a lot of my first Elvis albums twice as for some reason I got suckered into buying eight track tapes, before realizing that I should go back to vinyl for my collection. Oh well, then I had to buy a lot of albums a third time when CD's came out. No wonder Elvis ended up with a few hundred million in record sales (I know some sources sight a billion; A somewhat dubious claim in my opinion). I have done my fair share to contribute to those numbers over the years. Those first two volumes of A Legendary Performer really were fine looking packages and both of them did have some interesting gems on them.

Dave112 and Shawn like this.
  11. SKATTERBRANE

Reading the contents on the back cover, it was exciting to see an unreleased Sun recording. But when I played it I was very disappointed. There are a few Sun recordings I just do not like and Harbor Lights is one of them. Blue Hawaii is from the after show Aloha recordings.

Dave112 likes this.
  12. SKATTERBRANE

I have never owned a commercially recorded Cassette tape in my life (but I made hundreds of mix tapes on the Nakamichi Dragon I had). And I never, ever had an 8-track player or tape. But I HAVE bought many, many Elvis albums more than once! A few more than once on LP and MANY more than once on CD. In fact I have many titles of different issues of CDs still in my collection for various reasons, such as for different masterings, mixes, and slightly different content. For example I have 3 CDs of Elvis For Everyone because of these reasons.

The reason I bought a few LPs more than once was to get the first pressing (and sometimes variants of the first pressing) to replace my later pressings. This involved replacing the "White Top Stereo" with the "Silver Top Stereo" from Elvis Is Back through Roustabout. (the ONLY mono LP I bought after Elvis Is Back was a MONO Roustabout). And to replace all my ERS LPs with the original "Long 33 1/3 Play" mono LPs. I had about 1/2 of the 2nd LP's possible variants, which included two version with the notes on the back cover and several of the versions with other RCA artists' albums depicted on the back cover. Plus the one with the alternate Old Shep! I had two LPM-1254 because of the difference shades of green and pink used. I also bought the 1963 MONO A Date With Elvis (not the 1965 monaural version) as a companion to my 1959 gatefold issue. Well, I could go on and on, but you get the idea. I never had to replace any of the LPs from Girl Happy and newer because I was able to buy all those first pressings new. (used after Elvis Now up to EP Boulevard).

I sold off all my ERS LPs once I got the proper 1st pressings in my collection.

Dave112, Shawn and RSteven like this.
  13. You and I have a lot of similar Elvis collecting history!

SKATTERBRANE likes this.
  14. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

I really liked this one when I got it. I enjoyed the booklet that was included. I'm surprised to read that Colonel Parker was so involved in the booklet creation. The album had a very deluxe feel about it. On a side note, does anyone else remember the cardboard sleeve for 8 tracks of this and volume 1? I never bought one but in the record store I noticed that on the cardboard sleeve, the owner could cut out a little mail-in coupon to get a copy of the book mailed to them from RCA. I don't know if the cassettes had the same thing.
    I liked all of the unreleased recordings from Sun and the '68 TV sessions especially.

Shawn, RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  15. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

It's worth noting that prior to the 2007 Anesini remasters, the Pair CD had the best sound quality for most of the material on it, so it was worthwhile for that reason also.

Since we're on the topic, there was also a Pair CD ("Great Performances") that contained most of Legendary Performer volumes 1 and 2 (like all Pair CDs, it lopped off several tracks from each album). For that matter, there was also a Pair CD that covered Elvis Today ("Remembering") though unfortunately it didn't omit Woman Without Love.

16. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

I found a couple of images (sorry for the quality) of the 8 track coupons for a booklet from A Legendary Performer Vol 1 & 2.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Nice to see a significant increase in unreleased material on this one. Probably was annoying to fans at the time that it wasn't 100% unreleased material. As another poster mentioned, the false start on Such a Night is great, and probably my favorite thing on the record. It really illustrates that Elvis was producing his own session, here giving on-the-fly instructions to Buddy Harmon as they record.

sixtiesstereo, Dave112, Shawn and 2 others like this.
  18. SKATTERBRANE

Speaking of Pair releases, it was "Forever" that had a lot of Elvis Today tracks a few from Loving You and most of the Aloha morning after tracks. "Remembering" had A Date With Elvis (terrible needle drop of Milkcow Blues Boogie) and Pot Luck. A Date With Elvis tracks had the album masters with the extra, super-duper reverb, which was even more than RCA's single masters of the material. But thankfully it was not ERS!

I agree, for some reason much of the Pair masterings were pretty good. I think it was because they were flat tape transfers without much or any "dicking with" going on.

19. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

What a bizarre compilation.

One side of 4 post-Aloha songs, one side of Loving You songs, and two sides of Today songs.

[​IMG]

Dave112, Shawn and mark winstanley like this.
  20. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

DirkM, Dave112, SKATTERBRANE and 4 others like this.
  21. Pelvis Ressley

DirkM, Dave112 and mark winstanley like this.
  22. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

This was probably better to have mentioned in the EIB section of the 1960s Elvis threads but I ran across this about 3 months ago. Since we are back at an album that contains Such A Night, look at this. Speaking of Elvis' talent for arranging and producing, this is an almost exact (although inferior) arrangement of Such A Night by Vince Everett. It's really not worth mentioning except the producer. That's what caught my eye. Non other than Felton Jarvis! From 1962. Interesting.

23. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

It has alternate mixes of some of the Speedway film songs also, doesn't it?

24. Pelvis Ressley

I believe so, yes. The alternate "Western Union" came to mind and is also listed on Keith Flynn's site.

DirkM and mark winstanley like this.
  25. Pelvis Ressley

Vince Everett? Wasn't he on Laurel Records?