Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. periclimenes

periclimenes Forum Resident

I had the same thought. Do you think Ron will pivot to other labels who still have master tapes in good shape or just wind the business down? I don't know if there was any sort of business arrangement, but it is interesting that Don Was is pretty up-front that the goal of Tone Poet was to copy everything Music Matters did (but be able to offer it at a lower cost since Blue Note does not have to license the music from itself). I know people have strong opinions about the pricing model that MMJ is currently using, but it's a little sad to see Ron become a victim of his own success.

2. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

There are some "sleepers" on that list from @recstar24 that I'd like to mention. The Opener sounds great, has some really nice playing on it, and hits the spot if you're a trombone nut like me. The Jenkins/Burrell record is rock solid sounding a bit like Jackie Mac with Burrell and Clark in fine form. And J.R. Monterose is fun straight-ahead bop with a somewhat angular groove to his playing.

recstar24 and Gabe Walters like this.
  3. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

This is largely informed conjecture, but I believe Ron was semi-retired and the business selling through old inventory (the last series began Oct. 2016 after a 10-month gap) when the introduction of the SRX formula prompted the releases at the beginning of this year. I doubt he would have difficulty getting new licenses for any titles NOT being slated for Tone Poet, but I also wonder how interested he is at this time. He had a great run and set the bar high, but I think he's mostly winding down.

nosliw, mikeyt, MisterBritt and 4 others like this.
  4. periclimenes

periclimenes Forum Resident

Thanks for weighing in, @Gabe Walters. I have gathered that you have insider knowledge, so your informed conjecture is always very interesting to read.

5. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I've heard rumors about Ron pursuing some other avenues but nothing confirmed, and while I speak with Ron personally on a weekly basis, I never bother him with business or fanboy stuff unless he shares it with me.

From what I gather from our conversations, Ron is in a place in his life where money isn't an issue, and probably wants to travel more and have fun and do things like sun bathe in Hawaii (not a direct quote lol). He still has some licensing rights left over from BN for current titles, so don't be surprised to see some more SRX but of current titles as he uses up whatever he has remaining licensed from BN. I don't think he wants to invest any more money in procuring new licenses though, and now that Don knows how much cash he can get doing the MM thing himself, I highly doubt he would even consider licensing new titles for MM or anyone without a lot of cash being a part of the discussion.

Dignan2000, nosliw, wellers73 and 3 others like this.
  6. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

The Rolling Stone catalog is ripe for AAA treatment, and Mick would love the auction-style pricing that Ron is enamored with.

7. Welp, I have another order from MMJ on the way. When I saw Maiden Voyage was back available, and at $60 no less, I had to jump on it. I was worried I wouldn't get one, because it showed OOS after adding it to my cart, but I placed the order anyways. It shipped today with no refund or note from the MMJ team, so fingers crossed!! Also in tow will be Rollins Vol 1 SRX. Although the 45 is a comparable price, a few forumites previously recommended the SRX to the 45, and I will roll with that!

timzigs, mikeyt, recstar24 and 2 others like this.
  8. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Any thoughts on Freddie Hubbard Goin Up or Here to Stay? I really like the ballads on both (Body and Soul, I Wished I Knew) and both seem to have really solid players with him for the more normal hard bop stuff. Any tips on some of his others? I have Open Sesame and Ready for Freddie.

Pretty sure my next buy will have Shades of Redd, Page One, and Our Thing. Tossing around one of those Hubbards and maybe Evolution for something a little outside my comfort zone

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  9. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

No inside knowledge in this case, just making an educated guess having followed the company and this thread for years. I think some folks have been drawn to MM recently and therefore don’t have the sense that it isn’t much of an active concern. It probably confuses things that they started up a more active social media profile at a time when they aren’t really introducing a lot of new product, apart from the SRX drop in January.

10. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Nice pickups! Sonny Rollins especially. I saw Maiden Voyage a few days ago at $50, and thought about it, and the time I went back it showed out of stock . Doh!

spacecoyote and Greenmonster2420 like this.
  11. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I love here to stay. It plays like a jazz messengers cut which is awesome in my book.

mikeyt and guidedbyvoices like this.
  12. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

I received my MMJ 45 release of Stanley Turrentine's Jubilee Shout!!! and it sounds lovely. This particular release was cut by Kevin Gray at Cohearant Audio (not AcousTech) with Ron Rombach included in the dead wax (KPG & RR@CA).

13. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

I'd like to dedicate the first spin of this record to @geddy402 who facilitated one of my scores of the year!

[​IMG]

14. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I picked that one up too, thanks to this thread!

Briskit likes this.
  15. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

The boys from downunder - lightning quick on the mouse!

SJR likes this.
  16. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

:righton: I was straight onto it the moment I saw!

17. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I've just pulled the trigger on the MM Grachan Moncur III's Evolution :righton:

Dmann201, Jimbo912, timzigs and 6 others like this.
  18. Piero

Piero Forum Resident

One of the most beautiful jazz records ever.

Vic Trola and SJR like this.
  19. Unpacked my most recent MMJ order and am a little disappointed from a QC standpoint. I ordered 4 albums, but they accidentally sent two of one and did not send the other. Minor mishap, I’m sure they will take care of it. So I open the 3 I plan to keep and clean them up. All 3 jackets are defective. Two have inside splits and one has creasing. Then to cap it all off, two of the 3 albums are littered with small scratches and are audible throughout :realmad:

Paid an average of almost $70 an album for these, this is simply unacceptable. I’m quite frustrated at the moment and so tired of the hassle of dealing with pressing QC issues. I have been on a really bad luck streak lately with new vinyl, hopefully it turns around.

AnalogJ likes this.
  20. spacecoyote

spacecoyote Astral Resident

Very unfortunate.

I’m about to place an order, could you please share the names of the offending titles?

21. Rollins Vol 1 SRX, Maiden Voyage, and Point of Departure.

The latter two were the ones with defective records. Rollins SRX was perfect aside from an interior gatefold split.

spacecoyote likes this.
  22. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Listening to The Real McCoy now. My goodness I love this session. Pure fire!

@Greenmonster2420 I'm crossing my fingers you get a replacement for Maiden Voyage given it's OOS again. And you got it cheaper than I did 3 years ago lol. I swear I have the worst luck with MMJs pricing model.

MisterBritt and AaronW like this.
  23. The Real McCoy is a great one. I appreciate the positive vibes but a replacement on Maiden Voyage seems like a no go. I was offered a refund but will likely just keep it and chalk it up to another noisy 33. Every single one of my non-SRX 33s are noisy. Noisier than many of my $15-$20 albums. It’s unfortunate but they sound good enough that I can live with it and they still get plenty of play.

24. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

That's terrible...I'm wondering if you had received "already returned" items...hmmmm?

25. WatchMaker

WatchMaker Well-Known Member

I am sorry to hear of your incident but I am sure MMJ will help to resolve them soon, one way or the other. They are very helpful people.

I had recently ordered about 20 records from MMJ, and had two with some minor defects. Carol was quick to resolve them by sending me new replacements. They even help to test both the replacement copies on my request because my shipping cost is very expensive.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019