The Vinyl Community on YouTube

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jon9091, Feb 18, 2019.

1. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Here's my thoughts, for what they're worth!

I think you are maybe being a little hard on yourself, you have a very good channel going on there.

It's a niche subject (same niche as I'm in), and of the channels in that niche that I've seen, only Vinyl Rewind is beating you for subscribers, be proud of that. You're maybe getting close to the ceiling of what a channel in this area can do, we're never going to be getting PewDiePie subscriber numbers! Despite being potentially close to the ceiling, I can see you're still over the last 30 days consistently getting more subscribers per day than me (and I'm supposedly a growing channel), except for about 3 days around the release of the Abbey Road remix when I had a good boost in subscribers.

Your videos are undoubtedly well made, good quality and enjoyable. What I don't understand is why YouTube to my knowledge has never once recommended any of your videos to me, so I've never seen them before. Maybe now that I've clicked on your channel and some of your videos it probably will start doing. So you are certainly at the mercy a little, as we all are, of the YouTube algorithm, which for whatever reason isn't promoting your videos to me as someone who regularly watches that type of video. If you want a tip it would be, if you've not done this already, to read up on how to drive more views and subscribers, maybe follow the advice of someone like Nick Nimmin

To sum up, I'd say relax, you seem to be doing about as well as anyone in this topic can be doing. If you're not growing much these days it's likely that there's not much more scope to grow in this area. :)

If anyone fancies giving me any constructive criticism on what I could do better, let me have it ;) - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkDCZnGoiha9rXhuhMR3auw?

jon9091 likes this.
  2. Matt Kessler

Matt Kessler Well-Known Member

This is awesome, and way more than I expected posting my exasperated response to this thread! Thank you.

I'm actually #3 from what I can tell. VinylEyezz is #1, and then VR. VR is a good buddy of mine actually and his videos are terrific. His move into more "video essay" type videos was huge for him and contributed largely to him going from around where I'm at to close to 100k. I feel like my content is in a similar niche to VinylEyezz and to see his channel at 6x the subs as me, it's a bit discouraging. Furthermore, your comment about how the algorithm has never recommended me to you is also discouraging and I don't know how to get around that. I feel like my lack of visibility has everything to do with the algorithm. If the ceiling is, let's say 150k subs, then there should easily be another 20-40 thousand people that should at the very least be AWARE of my channel. Very discouraging :(

I'll check out Nick Nimmin for sure.

Your channel has killer views for the number of subscribers - of which you just got another ;)

Echoes Myron and OobuJoobu like this.
  3. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Cheers Matt I shall do the same and subscribe to you, I can definitely see plenty of content there that will be of interest to me!

If it's any consolation VinylEyezz has very rarely been recommended to me, I remember seeing a video slating Crosley turntables but that's all!

Nick Nimmin is great for advice, as is his friend Brian G Johnson TV

Good luck! :righton:

4. Mike6565

Mike6565 Hyperactive!

I've met Ed a few times at Record Store Day, he runs an Elvis channel,
    The King’s Court
    very entertaining

jon9091 likes this.
  5. Mike6565

Mike6565 Hyperactive!

just subscribed, good luck with the channel!

6. Matt Kessler

Thank you my friend

7. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality Thread Starter

Good stuff, Andrew. Subscribed.

OobuJoobu likes this.
  8. jon9091

BTW...

The reason I started this thread was for people to come forward and introduce themselves, and show us where their channels lived, because I really enjoy watching these. I learn a lot about new music, and I like hearing people sharing their experiences with their collections.
    The thing I found frustrating about YouTube, was the searching for “Vinyl Community” was always giving me the same people....just multiple videos by those people. I was able to branch out and find others by watching there videos, and see other suggestions, but that’s been my experience in finding VC channels. A lot of them are kind of buried. So, hopefully this thread is another avenue to meet some new viewers.

OobuJoobu likes this.
  9. jon9091

Hi Matt,

You have a very nice channel, and a HUGE viewership, so you must be doing a lot of things right. Congratulations! I guess my critique would be that they seem a bit too much on the scripted and produced side for my tastes. Not that I don’t mind some editing and titles, as I was a video editor for many years, but I tend to watch the more fly by the seat of the pants videos more often. I just gravitate to that looser style with a bit of humor. But, you are obviously killing it with the number of viewers, so...there ya go. And again, your channel may have come up long ago in searches, but it hasn’t been suggested to me for a long, long time.

cheers,
    Jon

10. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

All the advice I read suggests the importance of scripts but it's a step too far for me, press record and wing it, that's my style! :)

jon9091 likes this.
  11. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

I prefer vlogs that review vinyl pressing quality and differences (for multiple reissues). Also I'm a gear head fan boy so, I enjoy watching hardware reviews. :targettiphat:

jon9091 likes this.
  12. GLENN

GLENN Forum Resident

Does anyone know approximately how many "Vinyl Community" channels there are on YouTube? Several have been mentioned here that I have not yet seen (I definitely need to check out Mazzy's stuff) and meanwhile I have my own favorites that I more or less stumbled across (Dixieland Farms, Tone In Grooves, Matt Hayes Vinyl, SupraWes, Kristine Summer, etc.) I have to like the personality of the presenter to enjoy their videos, no matter how informative they are or are not, and I prefer those who are conversational and seem to be winging it to those trying to do an ultra-slick presentation.

jon9091 likes this.
  13. Malinky

Malinky Almost a Gentleman.

Hi Matt, I watched your channel for a long time when you had the girl with you (sorry can`t remember her name?), it was fun that you were `teaching` her about music, but then you split up and the channel was all over the place for quite a while, it seemed as if you just could not get the right formula, also your posts were only intermittent, (and still are). With the change of name it`s settled down, but posts still few and far between. The music that you feature may be a problem for many on THIS forum, being mostly obscure indie and electronica etc. I wish you well and will continue to follow you, you can be interesting and passionate about music when you get it right. :wave:

14. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I may have been the first person to make vinyl collector videos on Youtube. I was doing it 14 years ago and unbeknownst to me Record Collector magazine in the UK saw my videos and wrote about them;

[​IMG]

andrewskyDE and OobuJoobu like this.
  15. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

I'm wondering whether "DLT" means the same thing in the US as it does in the UK, I suspect not.....

Dave Lee Travis "The Hairy Cornflake".....
    [​IMG]

16. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

It's a UK magazine and that is the guy they were talking about.

OobuJoobu likes this.
  17. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

You'll very seldomly come across VC channels that do vinyl LP pressing comparisons, since many of the them just "show and tell" in a rather shallow way.

Ron Beaudry and Barakapdub are the only ones that I can think of who do pressing comparisons or interject their opinions on what sounds best (the latter actually post sound clips of them).

18. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

When I do have time to view these channels, I'm not really interested in subjective gear reviews and such. What I do like to see is music discussion, records that deviate from the same 'ol stuff, and get a sense of why the person likes what they do. There have definitely been instances where I've picked up records while digging because I saw them mentioned in a video and appreciated the person's taste and recommendation.

troggy likes this.
  19. Matt Kessler

Interesting notes, Jon... it's so tough trying to figure out that balance between scripted and unscripted. A lot of channels in the VC are just guys talking at their camera with bad lightning and no charisma and I'm trying to be as far from that as possible. I've upped my editing a lot lately and started writing scripts (that I do deviate from) to try and make sure I hit all my points. I've seen some people say they prefer the looser stuff too, but that's really tough to nail all the time and make it an interesting concise video. Gotta keep trying that out.

Thank you for the support man! Yeah, things were different back with Sandy, for sure, and I was a bit directionless after the name change -- but I haven't stopped putting out content. I haven't missed a week in 5 years! My output hasn't changed, if anything, it has increased, so I'm not sure why you think they're few and far between :(

I'd like to think that this is what my channel does best.

20. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Vinyl Rewind regularly include vlogs that cover different pressings. His latest covers Abbey Road.

andrewskyDE and nosliw like this.
  21. nosliw

I forgot about Vinyl Rewind. He's one of the better VC channels out there.

Michael Rose and andrewskyDE like this.
  22. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

This would be my critique too.

I can't even watch that VinylEyezz guy. He's far too obnoxious.

Aftermath, nosliw and jon9091 like this.
  23. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Just watched this. Very nice video and collection, Mazzy!

24. nosliw

Forgot to mention Myke C-Town as he's another of my favourite VC related channel: Myke C-Town

Out of the VC channels on YouTube so far, I like Barakapdub, HiViNyws, Vinyl Rewind, Ron Beaudry, Myke C-Town, Omaha Introvert, and Audiophilelaws.

jon9091 likes this.
  25. nosliw

Also not a fan of obnoxious clickbait titles from thumbnails from the aforementioned channels either. In fact, it turns me off completely.

jon9091 likes this.