Unfinished Films

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JozefK, Oct 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident Thread Starter

Perhaps the most celebrated example:

I, Claudius (film) - Wikipedia

I, Claudius is an unfinished 1937 film adaptation of the novels I, Claudius (1934) and Claudius the God (1935) by Robert Graves. Produced by Alexander Korda, the film was directed by Josef von Sternberg, with Charles Laughton in the title role. The production was dogged by adverse circumstances, culminating in a car accident involving co-star Merle Oberon that caused filming to be ended before completion. Footage from the production was incorporated into a 1965 documentary on the making of the film, The Epic That Never Was.​

Here is The Epic That Never Was, featuring interviews with Josef Von Sternberg, Merle Oberon, Robert Graves, and others connected to the production.

Von Sternberg, Oberon, and Laughton on the set of I Claudius

[​IMG]

unclefred likes this.
  2. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Reminds me of the Beatles "Let It Be" movie.... :shh:

3. JozefK

The Story of William Tell - Wikipedia

The Story of William Tell is an unfinished film about William Tell. It starred and was produced by Errol Flynn. It commenced filming in Italy in 1953 and was meant to be the directorial debut of Jack Cardiff. It was filmed in Cinemascope. A £10,000 model town set was built near Mont Blanc.​

[​IMG]

Flynn on the set with Jack Cardiff

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

fr in sc likes this.
  4. JozefK

Does anyone here know anything about Not Fade Away (1973)? It was a Buddy Holly biopic -- that co-starred Gary Busey as drummer Jerry Allison.

All I can find out about it is a brief interview with Busey where he claims it stopped production because the makers could not secure the music rights.

5. Certainly Orson Welles' "The Other Side of the Wind" would qualify for this kind of thread.

I've not seen it myself (I desperately wanted to see it in a real theater, on a real screen, but unfortunately they only screened it for a week or two in New York and LA, so it could be considered for the Oscars, etc.). Eventually whenever my wife and I get around to getting on Netflix finally (maybe next decade, I suppose), it'll be one of the first things I watch -- though I'd STILL rather see it on a big screen.

The Other Side of the Wind - Wikipedia

unclefred likes this.
  6. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member

Dark Blood, the film River Phoenix was working on when he died...

7. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

There's the first attempt to film a Don Quixote epic by Terry Gilliam starring Johnny Depp. A documentary was put together about it and its certainly an entertaining viewing.

The documentary is called Lost In La Mancha and highly recommended!

delmonaco and FredHubbard like this.
  8. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Sergei Eisenstein's "Que viva Mexico" is unfinished as well, if mind serves correctly. Only about an hour of material is currently in circulation.

9. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

Henri-Georges Clouzot's Inferno

JulesDassin likes this.
  10. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

11. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

Marylin Monroe’s last film, I forget the title. I think just some nude rushes survive of her in a swimming pool or something.

12. JozefK

Something's Got To Give

Actually, quite a bit of footage survives:

fr in sc, a customer and AppleCorp3 like this.
  13. JozefK

Number 13 (film) - Wikipedia

In 1922, Alfred Hitchcock obtained his first shot at directing for Gainsborough Pictures with the film Number 13 (or Mrs. Peabody). Clare Greet and Ernest Thesiger were to star as husband and wife. The story was about low-income residents of a building, financed by The Peabody Trust, founded by American banker-philanthropist George Foster Peabody, to offer affordable housing to needy Londoners.

However, the film's budget fell apart, and it was pulled from production after only a handful of scenes were shot.​

Hitchcock filming Number 13 in Rotherhithe, London.

[​IMG]

14. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Seems there a re few unfinished Orson movies floating around and according to that Netflix documentary, most are located in some museum or something in Germany. I wish someone would release them regardless of whether they are finished. I would imagine a lot could be gleaned from them even in their unfinished state. Right now it seems the only person who gets to watch them is Peter Bogdonavich.

15. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

The film was basically finished, but then Sol Lesser took the footage and made an edit that wasn't approved by Eisenstein. In the 70s, or 80s, Grigori Alexandrov re-edited it in a way he thought Eisenstein would have approved of.

LeBon Bush likes this.
  16. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

How about films that were taken away from the director by a completion bond company, and finished in such a way that ruined the film, like the animated "Thief and the Cobbler"?

17. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I saw the 'reconstruction' on TCM a few years ago. I think the last thing is a scene with her and Dean where they finish and look at Cukor and ask was that ok?

Gary7704 and AppleCorp3 like this.
  18. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Laughton was the perfect casting choice.

19. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

Jerry Lewis' infamous "The Day the Clown Cried" was never really finished, nor released. Between financial swindles and production shut-downs, the thing wound up as a legendary debacle that gets brought up now and then when we talk about misguided films.

20. JozefK

21. JulesDassin

JulesDassin Forum Resident In Memoriam

22. JozefK

Wanna give us a hint?

23. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

Shot for three weeks in 1964, everything fell apart including the director having a heart attack.

24. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

Really interesting clip .

25. JozefK

Was it really unfinished or just not released?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.