'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. periclimenes

periclimenes Forum Resident

Malachi Lui. He's a member here, as well, though his username fails me at the moment.

2. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

SoundDoctor

3. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

yes, the kid. or @SoundDoctor. or Malachai. a very nice kid, and very smart. also quite pleasant to talk to.

scotti, Kimiimacman and Bobsblkwax like this.
  4. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

Fascinating stuff here.
    Great story about the stiffs of Hackensack freaking out over activities at the Van Gelder place.

ausgraeme and scotti like this.
  5. Aeryn Sun

Aeryn Sun Forum Resident

Is this a April Fools joke? That is very exciting news indeed!

6. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Sorry to ask again...Has Analog Planet reviewed any of these since the Clubhouse review? I ask again as I really enjoy the reviews and have not seen any since. Thanks!

7. periclimenes

I don't believe so, but @SoundDoctor can confirm.

paulmock likes this.
  8. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Ya know, I should have done that but I am not using all brain cells today. Many thanks!

scotti likes this.
  9. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Analogplanet’s posts are arranged in chronological order, newest at top. You can scroll through their site to see.

scotti likes this.
  10. periclimenes

One interesting quirk about that site is that sometimes a post from years ago appears in the chronological feed as though it's new, so it's best to check the date in the actual post!

scotti likes this.
  11. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Very cool! Another 100 or more Tone Poet titles to be welcomed into my home. I thought I heard Joe say in this video there were 20 titles released this year, I guess more of an off the cuff statement. I thought I missed something, but next week we will be at 16, with still no rescheduled release date on "Poppin" and "Coming Your Way"...correct?

Took some what of a break from the series, but now after watching that video, going to fire up some "Cornbread", "Introducing" and "State of The Tenor" this afternoon. It's such a beautiful day here, it's just going to make the music sound even better!

By the way, Speakers Corner just announced another new Jazz title coming in late November. Phineas Newborn Jr.'s "Here is Phineas" from 1956 and in glorious mono. Pretty cool little record, and if some enjoy piano played with a bit different style, this is a nice listen. Oscar Pettiford on bass, Kenny Clarke (oh yeah!) on drums, and with Calvin Newborn handling the guitar on a few songs, but more in the background so to speak. I guess not the most known title, but I enjoy it and will be be picking it up.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    Dignan2000 and Briskit like this.
  12. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

paulmock and scotti like this.
  13. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

14. gov

gov Forum Resident

I'd love to see them do Witch Doctor. Great cast on that one and my 1981 Applause reissue feels long in the tooth

action pact, johnpisme and ausgraeme like this.
  15. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

WOW! Reading the comments on the Clubhouse review (I haven't been back there since it was published) make what went on in this thread read like passages from The Bible. Sometimes the internet can just go crazy-assed over a simple thing that brings so much joy to so many. It's so very sad. BTW @SoundDoctor did write a great review!

Crazysteve, scotti, ausgraeme and 3 others like this.
  16. Briskit

Great record. Phineas Newborn, from a technical perspective, is an absolute freak of nature. Plays some stuff I have never heard anyone else do. May spring for a new version. More brown rice dinners for me!

scotti likes this.
  17. Briskit

Yep, that was a brutal read. Nobody behaving particularly well.

18. AFA

AFA Forum Resident

A quick tip here: Blackfire is currently listed at CAD $25 on Amazon.ca. this is even lower than the preorder price. Seems like demand for this one fell dramatically .... possibly after all the brouhaha on SH? :) In any case, if you are one of those lucky (or unlucky) ones who are unable to hear the warbling pianos, this is the best time to get it. caveat .. you may still encounter warps and off-center pressings (i have returned 5 copies of blackfire over these).

paulmock likes this.
  19. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I love the way members are pointing out sales, price-drops, etc here. Nice work, y'all!

Kimiimacman, scotti and AFA like this.
  20. YEX 750-1

YEX 750-1 Long-winded Brother

Oh, man. I'm finally spinning Face to Face. This one slaps!

Kimiimacman, Rekkerds, Bryce and 7 others like this.
  21. YEX 750-1

YEX 750-1 Long-winded Brother

So much so that it got me to pull my sealed Mr. Shing-a-Ling out of the "to sell" bin and rip it open. It's become an organ-sax-guitar soul jazz kinda night. Recently added a subwoofer to my system and it's loving these fat organ bass notes.

22. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

23. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I never paid attention to the comments after the initial review. Holy crap, where do people like this crawl out from under these days??? I have been on several respective threads with @SoundDoctor and he has always been respectful, enthusiastic, and brought good content to his posts...good review.

Been enjoying some more time with "Face To Face" this past week and just more fun after each listen. That above pic that @SJR posted of "hub-tones" has put me in the mood for this one later today. Plus I have been in an all things "Hancock" mood as of late. Just got a copy of the MOV of "Mwandishi" and this one might be my favorite from the trilogy so far, oh how I love this record! And MOV did a really nice job with it.

Well we are finally at the start of the new week when we are graced with two more Tone Poet titles. As excited as I am to get "Born To Be Blue" and "Minor Move" (hopefully this Thursday) I am also saddened at the same time (but thankful $$$ wise) that these appear to be the final releases for 2019. As I reflect back at all of the awesome Jazz titles that have been released this year, this series has delivered some wonderful magic to be heard for years to come! And speaking of years to come, more Tone Poet...oh yeah!!!!!

MisterBritt, Twinsfan007, SJR and 6 others like this.
  24. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Not TP, but has been mentioned here so I shall chime in for what it's worth. Played Coltrane's Blue World last night. LP is in fine shape and quiet as can be. I enjoyed quite a bit. Very nice, warm and mellow mono sound.

Mazzy, scotti, PATB and 1 other person like this.
  25. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

@Joe Harley im not sure if you are still following this thread, but I think considering some of the Kurt Elling back catalog on BN would be an awesome choice considering your philosophy to release some of the more unheralded titles. I’m thinking “The Messenger” that has a beautiful cover, and never was released on vinyl!