The Lighthouse new movie by Robert Eggers, director of The Witch*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by justanotherhifienthusiast, Aug 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. justanotherhifienthusiast

justanotherhifienthusiast Forum Resident Thread Starter

Is anyone massively hyped for this like I am? I got strong Lovecraftian vibes from the trailer. Lighthouses are such a cool, spooky aspect of a time that has came and went. But still standing. I love all the HP Lovecraft stories that had settings in remote seaside towns.

I'm planning on watching the Witch soon. Anyway, The Lighthouse is getting a limited release even in the biggest city in Canada. Just a few nights. One to catch for sure.

2. Reid Smith

Reid Smith Forum Resident

Thanks..this looks very interesting and the trailer doesn't give away too much either.This seems to be the perfect movie for black and white to,even more so than The Witch.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  3. PADYBU

PADYBU Forum Resident

I've not read any Lovecraft or watched the VVitch but I'm dying to see this, I've never rewatched a trailer as much as this one, how long have I been on this rock?!

4. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

I can't wait for this --I hear it is great. Kind of get a bit of a Guy Maddin vibe from it.

5. Reid Smith

Reid Smith Forum Resident

If you've not read any Lovecraft you should.I'm still waiting for a big budget "At The Mountains Of Madness" to made by someone.It's been talked about a lot and that's all.

Solaris likes this.
  6. I agree. There's some terrific stuff in Lovecraft in terms of imagery. Del Toro stated his version is dead in the water. Universal said "no" because it would have been an R rated movie. That was before "Prometheus" which Del Toro felt stole some of the thunder.

7. Looks interesting

8. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

So is this also based on the Smalls Island incident from the early 1800's? There was just a movie a few years ago about that, also called "The Lighthouse".

The Lighthouse (2016) - IMDb

EDIT: Okay, I see from the FAQ at IMDB it says "The story is very loosely based on a real-life tragedy from 1801, in which two Welsh lighthouse keepers became trapped on their lighthouse station during a storm. Other influences were seafaring literary classics by Herman Melville and Robert Louis Stevenson, and supernaturally tinged weird tales of H.P. Lovecraft and Algernon Blackwood."

9. A24 continues to put out some good and interesting stuff.

10. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Shot on actual black-and-white 35mm film at the academy ratio of ye olde movies... looks gorgeous.

I've said it here before and will do so again; Eggers could be this century's new Kubrick, that guy is going to deliver an absolute game-changing masterpiece at some point, mark my words.

His proposed Rasputin project could be one for the ages...

11. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Trailer #2 is out. What?

12. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Got a dreadful review in SFChronicle today unfortunately but he did think the film looked great.

13. justanotherhifienthusiast

justanotherhifienthusiast Forum Resident Thread Starter

He probably didn't like the witch either. Just purchased my ticket for thursday next week!

chacha likes this.
  14. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Any takers? I'd love to see this one just based on the performances.

15. htom

htom Senior Member

The director's name in the thread title needs to be corrected to Eggers.

16. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

I love movies set on lighthouses. This is a must.

17. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

we saw this last night. Big theatre with about 30 people in it for a 7pm showing. Definitely "different".

18. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Just saw this. Stunned to see how many people were at the multiplex on a Sunday afternoon in Boise-frickin’-Idaho (!!!) for this. Especially since it’s also playing at the arthouse theater in town...

Honestly it didn’t do much for me; I seem to be experiencing a bunch of wtf films lately. This was another one. Was hoping there might be some more chatter on here about it.

19. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

"Look, I thought the job advert was for a little light housekeeping!" - The Goodies.

20. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Rotten tomatoes info shaping up almost exactly like The Witch - to me that's a good thing. I loved The Witch and I'll see this.

Borgia and Scotian like this.
  21. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

This movie was shot in my province of Nova Scotia. Not much work for extras though.

Jazzmonkie and Chris DeVoe like this.
  22. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

Wow childhood memories... was that the Jolly Rock?

mrjinks and Chris DeVoe like this.
  23. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Yep! Don't know for sure that the quote is exact, but it stuck in my head.

24. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

Looks intense! I'm up for it.

25. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

The Witch was incredible. Haven’t watched this trailer. That guy Mick at
    The San Fran Chronicle is
    Kinda a knucklehead

Richard--W likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.