Is your main CD player a dedicated CD player or a universal one?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by KevinP, Nov 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

OPPO !!!

Bill Mac likes this.
  2. Robsonschoice

Robsonschoice Forum Resident

Got rid of my Cinema set up as I now watch films via streaming (Amazon etc) so back to basics and 2 channel stuff...CD/DVD Arcam UDP411 (which also plays the few SACD's I own), plus dusted off my turntable after the purchase of a Moon Neo Ace (which I love to bits) so streaming also...did wonder about using the onboard DAC of the Moon and getting a stand alone CD transport but streaming HD quality is getting in the way !!

3. Dingly Del Boy

Dingly Del Boy Forum Resident

Cambridge Audio CXC transport into the DAC of the Hegel h190. Perfectly good for the small amount of CD listening done in our house nowadays.

4. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Wow ! Good for your. I got a 32¨ 720p TV set, because it was my understanding that the more the player and the screen had to upscale, the more artifacts it would introduce, and bigger screens would show imperfections on a bigger scale. So, while I can't say DVDs look as good as BDs, they look terrific. So with BDs I actually have the player DOWNSCALING from 1080i to 720p. I would have thought that upscaling 480p to 4K would be problematic, esp on the bigger screens, but I'll have to take your word for it. Bet it's the OLED screen doing the job there.

Anyway, 32¨is OK for my living room, and it's what I can afford anyway.

5. Memphisflash

Memphisflash Forum Resident

Two dedicated CD players, Yamaha CD3000 and a Sony XA50ES (almost forgot, got also a Sony 3000ES)

George P likes this.
  6. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

My Esoteric K-03 CD/SACD player is a dedicated one.

7. I have an old Esoteric DV-50.

8. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

A place that I buy my used media and books from has a sale on their DVD's and Blu-ray disks once a month, for $2/ea.

So to me also, cost is also a factor.

I can look at upscaled DVD's all day for $2/ea.

Wasabi, The Pinhead and MGW like this.
  9. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

Blu-rays at $2 sounds like a real bargain. I tend to buy DVDs for my daughter's at £1 each, typically. Brilliant entertainment on long car journeys (for them, not me as the driver, obviously).

SandAndGlass likes this.
  10. Wasabi

Wasabi Forum Resident

I’m in Broward often. Where might that place be? :D

11. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

It's called the Big Apple Bookstore. It is located at:

5461 N. Federal Hwy
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33308
    (954) 772-7761

They are located on US1, just north of Commercial BV, on the west side.

It is the nicest clean used book store that I have ever been in. All of their used books look like books that you would find in a new bookstore. They don't even accept trade-in's that are not in good condition for free.

The DVD's and Blu-ray's are all the same price. I think they are only $2.50/ea. when they are not on sale.

They have a good selection. I have bought hundred's of them, when I was running the motel.

I had a free lending library. My guests could borrow what ever movies they wanted from the general collection. I have a separate private collection also.

[​IMG]

Wasabi and MGW like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.