Your favourite Sci-Fi film of all time ?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Oct 14, 2019.

1. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Me too!

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Lifeforce
    Novel :The Mind Parasites(Colin Wilson)
    Was better, but not as titillating.:)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Species

4. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I'm watching Rodan on TCM right now. The creature is no cinematic wonder on this, it's first appearance on film but compared to the cartoonish puppet it became in it's second film, Gidorah, it's almost Spielbergian here. And I'm still not sure why it has supersonic speed if it's just some kind of pterodactyl.

cleandan likes this.
  5. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

I would like to point out that some of my favorite sci-fi, and some
    of the best and most important sci-fi, has been on television.

1959-64 The Twilight Zone -- it changed the world.
    1964065 The Outer Limits
    1965 Star Trek: The Cage pilot -- a soulful bounding leap in the development of space sci-fi.
    1967-68 The Invaders -- still ahead of its time.
    1968 The Prisoner

These five programs continue to exert a pervasive influence. It was a sixties thing.

6. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

2001: A Space Odyssey & When Worlds Collide
    [​IMG]

SandAndGlass, Richard--W and alexpop like this.
  7. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

Planet Of The Vampires
    Queen Of Blood
    Duck Dodgers In The 24th And One Half Century

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  8. And why all other supersonic flying machines do not decimate everything as they fly by?
    And why it seems to fly with a causal forth and back sway to its course?...almost as if it is hanging from strings.
    And why Godzilla doesn't just eat the big bird...I guess a ten minute Godzilla feature would not be very exciting to watch.
    And why, in some scenes, Rodan is scaled to be absolutely HUGE, with a seemingly few hundred foot wingspan, while in others Rodan appears to be just pretty big?

Oh the things these movies brought to mind...at least to a kids mind...a kid who watched them all with great anticipation and joy. A kid who totally geeked out on the really great vehicle models, and sets surrounding them.

9. Ahab

Ahab Forum Resident

Interstellar.

Tough choice. Numerous others I could choose depending on what mood I'm in.

4_everyman likes this.
  10. shokhead

As did/does my wife. She know all the name, what they can do and all and everything about those movies. I’m recording all of them off TCM for her

11. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Two excellent choices that people tend to forget were science fiction. The choice of "Charly" tends to make me think there are a lot more films with plots based on medical fiction than what we are choosing in this thread.

wayneklein likes this.
  12. shokhead

Guess I’m just old school as I like org in body snatchers, war of the worlds and the thing.

13. JoeOnWheels

JoeOnWheels Forum Resident

1. Invasion of the Body Snatchers 1956 2. The Invisible Man 1933

HairyWeimer and shokhead like this.
  14. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Lol. I never thought about any of that as an 8 year old. That damned thing scared the crap out of me at the time. Of course, as an adult, all those questions pop up in every one of those movies. Some of my favorite, laugh out loud moments come in Mothra and all the toy soldiers positioned on various tanks, fire trucks and military vehicles. Somehow, I never noticed those either as a kid.

15. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Lots of people feel the same way. Most would agree that every version of Body Snatchers is good in its own way - but I like the original best, I think how it shows the comformity of the 50s taken to its extreme - and I love the black and white.

I do see that there might be some advantages to accepting life as a pod person:

[​IMG]

16. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Great freeze frame from a fantastic scene from this movie. It sums the film up.

SandAndGlass and Tim S like this.
  17. shokhead

Do pod people have sex?

18. I appreciate each one of them and still think they are terrific movies Carpenter, though, reinvented The Thing by going back to the source novella by Campbell.

I look at Kaufman’s as a different take and providing a commentary on how in a big city is would be even less noticeable due to the anonymity. You know your neighbors in a small town but what’s more insidious is not knowing about these changes and not being able to convince anyone because of it. Kaufman’s film isn’t a remake as such but an extension or sequel with just as much punch.

19. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

The Stepford Wives, the original one. I saw it in the theater then watched it many times on HBO in the 70s. Katherine Ross, hubba hubba! And one of my faves, Paula Prentiss.

20. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

It was the 1950s, no one had sex.

21. One would hope if someone looks that great but sadly no. They just generate more pod people. Seriously though, I can’t recall if Finley had anything to say about that certainly not in the story in the era it was set in.

22. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Lol. Well, my parents certainly did! Oh wait, am I a pod person???

23. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I forgot the overwhelming science fiction basis of "Get out" - not my favorite, but a movie I liked a LOT

24. Wildest cat from montana

Did you see that abomination of a remake with Mathew Broderick? What a stinker.

wayneklein likes this.
  25. Wildest cat from montana

Ditto.