Evil - CBS Horror Drama

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Scotian, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed Thread Starter

I was on the fence about this show the first three episodes but episode four had some serious teeth. This episode was probably the darkest show I've seen on network TV since Millennium back in the late 90s. This is also by the team that created The Good Wife for a plus or minus.

2. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

It's directed with a pace and quietness much like The Exorcist which makes the tension and scary scenes more disturbing. Some of the scarier scenes are downright disturbing like the way a baby is calmly shown floating just under the top water in a swimming pool. It's shot as if the viewer is sitting in a lounger slightly from a distance on a bright sunny day. You're not quite sure what your looking at and then "Where's the baby?!". Caught me by surprise. And the very non-formulaic and relaxed acting style from unknown actors (at least unknown to me) is what sells it. It's also a very compelling and believable premise for a drama and very informative in what it deals with.

I'm surprised CBS executives green lit this because it's too good for what I've come to expect from CBS. "Evil" has a cinematic quality most likely demanded either by viewers or new blood at CBS who want the same cinematic quality from Breaking Bad. I mean CBS is still doing cop, court, lawyer and doctor dramas which I've been sick of for decades. I rarely watch CBS prime time but after seeing "Evil" I"m back to making myself remember Thursday's line up at 9PM the time I now tune in on a regular basis.

3. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

When's the debut?

EDIT: Never mind.

4. dmiller458

Why is it that the folks investigating evil in these shows are always Catholics? Why no Protestants or Orthodox?

Karnak and Lightworker like this.
  5. Scotian

I think these people are investigating incidents for the Catholic church to determine demonic activity that might require an exorcism. I think exorcisms are a Catholic thing pretty much.

rburly likes this.
  6. Scotian

Episode 4 comment

I was sure that little bundle floating in the pool would be a doll wrapped up in a blanket. I was shocked it was the actual baby.

7. dmiller458

I'd just once like to see a snake-handling, hellfire & brimstone Pentecostal preacher in one of these shows. A character similar to Robert Duvall in The Apostle.

Karnak and unclefred like this.
  8. dmiller458

I've got on-demand so I'm going to be checking out the first four tonight after work.

9. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

This is a really good series so far. Ratings started poor but have been increasing. Spread the word.

10. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Me too...was surprised it was the real thing.

Definitely a dark ending...about as dark as you get on network TV without showing any violence or shocking scenes.

11. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

A lot more scarier considering all the folklore inspired by it such as Dracula. And here in Texas we were taught in 7th grade about the Healer Of Los Olmos, Don Pedro, a local curandero claimed to be an immortal through the scary folk tails associated with him. Besides Dia De Los Muertos "Day Of The Dead" is celebrated by Hispanic Catholic culture. Catholics just have a spookier style about them with all the Gothic churches and such.

Greg Gee likes this.
  12. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

Ray Bradbury wrote a story based on this.

unclefred and Greg Gee like this.
  13. Greg Gee

Greg Gee "I tried to change but I changed my mind..."

Yeah, I've been trying to keep up with this show, too, but missed the last episode. What I've seen, I've liked, not what I expected from CBS.

14. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Saw the pilot. Pretty good show.

15. dmiller458

This is not what I expected. Much better.

MoonPool likes this.
  16. Much better than I expected. I was afraid this would be an X Files rip off but it’s almost like the flip side of that. Great casting.

MoonPool and dmiller458 like this.
  17. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

Sorry, watched three episodes and I don't like it. At all. Laughable storylines, bad acting/casting IMO (the deer-in-the-headlights female lead, the tortured-black-dude-that-found-god, the demon-by-numbers dude from LOST etc), story twists announced from miles away, etc ad infinitum

18. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

My daughter got me to watch several episodes of it this weekend. Somewhat interesting to me but certainly not scary so far.

19. rjp

rjp Senior Member

not bad at all.

we will keep watching for sure.

20. Trace

Trace Senior Member

I watched the first 5 episodes this weekend, and, to me, it did seem a little bit similar to the X-Files, except they replaced the Aliens with Religion.

SixtiesGuy and wayneklein like this.
  21. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Just how I feel and Katja Herbers is pretty hot!

22. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Is this in "The Big Bang's" old time slot?

23. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Reminds me of Alanis Morrisette. A Jagged Little Thrill.

24. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Big fan of hers (and how she looks :righton: ) since I first clocked her in Manhattan, which I also recommend although it's very annoying when it got cancelled half way through the story

25. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Latest couple of episodes have really upped the ante, looking forward to seeing how this plays out

neo123 and MoonPool like this.