Paul McCartney/Wings-song by song thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bemagnus, Sep 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

About Monkberry Moon Delight...

In Mexico is known as "El Monje" or "Monk"

[​IMG]

Mexican EP
    Source: Discogs

Bemagnus likes this.
  2. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

Get on the Right Thing is my second favorite track on Red Rose Speedway. An absolute hoot. I always wished Paul would do it live.

3. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

Next one
    One more kiss
    The love theme of RRS continues with this bittersweet venture into country-rock. One of the rare Wings songs with Paul on lead-vocals without any backing VoiceOver
    I love this song-such a beatiful, longing melody topped with Pauls regretful vocals. Henrys lead guitar creates a tuneful answer to the vocals .
    A lovely and all but forgotten sweet little gem

4. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

One More Kiss - 7/10

5. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

Something that strikes me about this period is how (uniquely) intimate the songs (and recordings) are. In-jokes and in-family.

I like the amateurism of this period. I think "Wild Life" and "Dear Friend" are stunningly primitive. "C-Moon" and "Hi Hi Hi" are pretty intimate in the way they come across, but in a different way. Love the way "Hi Hi Hi" speeds up and goes like a rabbit at the end. Pretty naughty.

I also find it weird how many people get hung up about the lyrics as it is obvious that so many of the songs of this period are about the vibe, the sound, the feel.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  6. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Yep 7/10 for me too. Decent tune, but not his very best.

Yorick likes this.
  7. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

Exactly! It’s a nice song, but one of RRS’s weaker spots. I Lie Around, Mama’s Little Girl or Country Dreamer would have been so much stronger here!

WilliamWes likes this.
  8. Bemagnus

Like all the songs mentioned but personally think One more kiss belongs on the album. Perhaps Im used to it since 1973 but also because I sincerely think the song is a great bridge to the song that follows
    :)

joy stinson, omikron and Yorick like this.
  9. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

Very pleasant song. 7/10 sounds about right.

Sounds a lot like “Nashville Skyline” era Bob Dylan—both the song and the voice.

10. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

For me it's also a 3.5/5 (=7/10 :D)

11. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

Arles, 1972:
    [​IMG]

Bemagnus likes this.
  12. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

13. Bemagnus

We are n
    But the album was rekeased 1973
    I think

14. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

Of course, but this is so close to the recording sessions it's the same era!

Bemagnus likes this.
  15. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Was gonna say the same thing. Of the mellow acoustic type tunes, OOMK is by far the weakest.

16. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

I’ll argue that it is not weird to consider the lyrics in a song by song analysis thread. Would you like us to not discuss that? I mean, it’s a song by song thread. Most of these songs have lyrics. We’re gonna discuss them.

in regards to this period, some of us can be pretty hard on Paul’s lyrics. I don’t think those criticisms are unfounded. Note too that many of us who take exception to stoner, lazy, made up lyrics still quite enjoy the finished product. But could it have been better with a little discipline?

I am also not sure it’s so obvious to listeners that these songs were simply about the vibe, sound and feel. At the time, people were not exactly grasping that concept about Wings - we were wondering just exactly what kind of band they would be - and if they would get better - and nearly fifty years later it’s still a worthwhile discussion.

There are plenty of albums from the early 70s that are dripping with vibe that don’t contain lyrics that sound like they were made up on the spot.

17. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Well if we stick with the arbitrary rules of no live songs, no covers, and no songs by anyone but Paul then I would argue that they could have added the only two songs still in contention Little Girl and Country Dreamer to the album without losing One More Kiss and it would have made a stronger album with more depth and diversity. If album length was an issue drop Loop.

Oh look, here is that playlist now.

Paul McCartney and Wings - Red Rose Speedway Extended, a playlist by Dr. Pepper on Spotify

Side one
    1. "Big Barn Bed" 3:48
    2. "My Love" 4:07
    3. "Get on the Right Thing" 4:17
    4. "One More Kiss" 2:28
    5. "Little Lamb Dragonfly" 6:20

Side two
    1. "Single Pigeon" 1:52
    2. "When the Night" 3:38
    3. "Mama's Little Girl"
    4. "Loup (1st Indian on the Moon)" 4:23
    5. "Country Dreamer"
    6. "Medley: Hold Me Tight/Lazy Dynamite/Hands of Love/Power Cut"

Bemagnus likes this.
  18. Bemagnus

I don t disagree with you. Ecspecially Mama’s little girl would have benefited any album
    However I find the bittersweet melancholia of Only one mor Kiss a great bridge to the song that follows. Soon to be discussed.

19. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

One More Kiss - I dig that guitar. 7/10

joy stinson and Bemagnus like this.
  20. Bemagnus

I don t disagree that a lot s of Pauls lyrics from this era are very simple both in message and delivery. Sometimes for the good sometimes for the bad. At his best Paul has the ability to write brilliant lyrics-a strenght not that often showcased during this era. However I find lot s of these seemingly simple and one-dimensional lyrics far more effective in the context of the music
    One more Kiss is a good example -of one reads the words they fall flat but when I hear the song
    and Pauls delivery it actually makes me feel something beyond the simple words. That s why it s impossiible to judge these lyrics as “lazy” or “bad” since the sing as a whole-at least for me communicate something far deeper.
    That s the magic of song
    :)

WilliamWes likes this.
  21. Bemagnus

Me to. Great pattern and tone. Just as most of Henrys playing

22. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Some of us are lyrics people. Some aren't. That should not exclude you from discussing them if you wish.

Being a non-lyrics guy myself, it makes it very easy for me to be a Paul fan.

joy stinson, Who Cares, BZync and 3 others like this.
  23. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

This is a definitive instance of a back-handed compliment!

24. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Yeah I suppose it was but really, let's face it.

Paul is an endless stream of amazingly written and arranged MUSIC.

But lyrically it can be a crap shoot sometimes.

For my part I just don't get too hung up about that aspect. Things like Biker or Bogey do make me cringe a bit but I really just am not enough of a lyrics guy to care.

I think maybe he just has SO much music in there that he starts creating placeholder lyrics just to get them down and then isn't sure how to finish them properly?

I don't know but for me the music is so great on RSS that I just don't care if he's singing about pigeons or beds in barns or power outages.

Wordnat2, Who Cares, BZync and 4 others like this.
  25. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Mumbo

A jam song. This is a statement of freedom through the scream of a man in a new world trying to survive in a wild place. Wow... Paul's scream is so powerful, really wild and strong in contrast to the optimistic sound of the instruments.

Credits:

Produced by Paul McCartney
    Written by Paul McCartney and Linda McCartney
    Bass, Electric Guitar, Tambourine (?), Vocals by Paul McCartney
    Organ, Piano by Linda McCartney
    Drums, Tambourine (?) by Denny Seiwell
    Label: Apple Records
    Release Date: December 7, 1971
    Recorded at Abbey Road Studios, London, UK
    Length: 3:55 minutes

Paul's own words:

Paul Du Boyer's book:

"Mumbo is just a big scream of no words. A wacky idea, cos it was just ‘Whuurrrgghh A-hurrgghhh!’ and we mixed it back so it was like ‘Louie Louie’. Everyone’s going, What are the words of that? Just hope they don’t ask for the sheet music. Which no one ever did, luckily."

Source: Mumbo (song)

"PM.com: And while you’ve been sitting here remastering the album, are there songs that you’d forgotten about?

Paul: Yeah, absolutely! Well, to tell you the truth, I don’t listen to my old albums much, you know. I just don’t. So, I mean, to me it’s very strange that I would dare to do a track like ‘Mumbo’. To open an album with a track that hasn’t got any lyrics! It’s like, ‘Whoah!’ I mean, I think it’s kind of cool now. Like, ‘Wow, okay…!’

PM.com: It’s a very spontaneous way of making music – just getting in a room and playing.

Paul: Yeah. And, you know, this was following The Beatles. I’m not trying very hard, you know! [Jokingly sings the opening line of ‘Mumbo’, ‘Welllllllllllllllll….!!!’]

PM.com: Listening back to the Wild Life record today, what’s your impression of it?

Paul: […] I mentioned earlier about ‘Mumbo’ being quite experimental, especially to finish off the record with the shorter “link” version. I think that song came from, you know, the band would just get an idea of a chord, or something. We’d just jam on it. And, it would be just, ‘Okay, this is in F’, or whatever key it’s in. And we’d just play. And I’d sort of shout stuff over the top. It’s all part of becoming a band. You know, you learn that I’m gonna be goofy and sing some goofy things, and you – for example – as the drummer have got to come along with it and do your own thing. And Denny Seiwell, I think, is really brilliant on all this stuff. "

Source: You Gave Me The Answer' - 'Wild Life' Special

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.