Frank Sinatra Sings for Only the Lonely - Deluxe Edition - October 19, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack Forum Resident

My stereo remix is from the '98 UK box set so it only has 12 tracks. The bonus tracks from the '87 CD "Sleep Warm" and "Where or When" are from the same recording sessions?

2. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

No. Those were from Sinatra’s next Capitol session (September 11, 1958), but that was 2½ months after the last album session (June 25, 1958). The (mono) LP had already been released (September 8, 1958), when those two tracks were recorded.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    Hatchet Jack and JediJoker like this.
  3. teag

teag Forum Resident

After originally thinking I would buy this release, I had decided not to buy it in either format. However (sound familiar?) I just got a smoking deal on the 2 CD version of this 2018 remixed, remastered set.

I have many, many versions of this album including the MFSL silver box vinyl, the Dell box vinyl, the MFSL mono gold CD and mono LP, a mono and stereo original vinyl, an 80's vinyl repress, the previous Walsh remaster.

I decided to throw it on and not do a bunch of A/B tests. Just put it on and see how enjoyable it is. Well, this remix/remaster sounds really good! I am so glad to have it. Larry Walsh and Ron McMaster dd a great job on this release.

I wonder if the vinyl is this good.....damn....another copy ......have to find out......etc, etc.

funknik, Tommyboy, RSteven and 2 others like this.
  4. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I am so glad you like it. I was really pleased with the remixing and remastering that Larry and Ron did on the whole project. I now have all the versions on CD that you have and they all sound pretty fine, but this version is probably my favorite one and now it is my go to version for this amazing album.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    kt66brooklyn, Record Rotator and teag like this.
  5. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

So... any chance for a remaster/reissue of another Sinatra title? Any rumors worth listening to?
    Fingers crossed, RH

6. mikizee

mikizee Forum Resident

I put this release on my turntable today. Bloody hell, it sounds PHENOMENAL. Dead quiet, dead flat record. Best pressed release I have bought in quite a while. And that includes the Beatles mono pressings I have been buying up recently.

7. I appreciate the feedback but to be honest The Beatles mono records are not the best yard stick to measure anything by. I've had multiple copies of some of those and none are flat.

8. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

There's an anniversary re-issue of 'My Way' looming in October. (It really should have been re-issued in March of this year.) A questionable purchase for me, personally.

There's another thread on the Forum regarding this.

Two Frank Sinatra albums set for reissue | The Music Universe

‘My Way’ 50th Anniversary and ‘Sinatra Sings Alan & Marilyn Bergman’coming October 2019

Rob Hughes and Greenalishi like this.
  9. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

Yeah, I'm guessing the thread on My Way won't make it to 56 pages... Sort of a puzzling title to celebrate, from my perspective, but: different strokes... I hope the re-release finds an appreciative audience.

CBackley likes this.
  10. Bob F

Obviously, they are reaching out to a less discerning and Sinatra-knowledgeable audience. At this forum, “appreciative” may depend on the mix and mastering (although I’m not holding my breath, as expressed in post #43 of the target thread). It’s still a nice gift to vinyl lovers, who have not seen a proper LP release in ages.

roda12, Rob Hughes and rangerjohn like this.
  11. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

I like pretty much everything on this album except for the final track.

12. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

I wonder if we'll get a 50th Anniversary release of 'A Man Alone'? I know it's not a fan favourite but I've always liked it - have to be in the right mood for it of course!

13. juanmanuel

juanmanuel Forum Resident

At last I pulled the triger and bought this edition. I was hesitant because I am a lover of the First 1958 stereo mix of this album ( Sinatra MFSL vinyl box set) but once I heard the first bars of the first track I was astonished at how good this edition sounded!!!. What I like best about this edition is that it seems to me that Larry and Ron tried to close the stereo mix to the original mono mix sound. Now I can hear sounds that were far away in the original stereo mix but up front in the mono mix. The album sounds fantastic really. I do not know how they could do it so good but this album sounds now absolutely marvelous. On par with the Nat King Cole albums our host did for Analogue Productions some years ago!!. Bravo!!!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    D.B., kt66brooklyn, kennyluc1 and 3 others like this.
  14. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

15. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Funny, for whatever reason I decided to play the stereo CD of this set last night. I got through 2 tracks and had had enough of it. I could not stand how far "removed" from the orchestra Mr. S's vocal track is. It sounded so unnatural to me. Went immediately to the stereo LP from the MoFi box.

aza14782 and MarkusGermany like this.
  16. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

I agree and the new My Way releaee has the same unnatural mix.

paulmock likes this.
  17. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

is it true Sinatra had a fear of clowns?
    do any of his biographers write about a fear of clowns?

18. Bob F

Nah. He did many clown paintings himself, and they were used on Christmas cards he sent to family and friends.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

roda12, MMM and bluesbro like this.
  19. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

Hardly think he would sing “ send in the clowns “ if that were true

peace and love✌Dave

20. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Is this Jimmy Durante's nose? ;)

21. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

I'm a huge Frank fan, but I will never ever be able to unsee that clown!

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  22. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

This is one of the threads that should be listed in the sticky.

23. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

I don't think I knew that Frank painted! That's actually pretty good. Typically "rock star" art is terrible (big exception being Pink Floyd's founder, Syd Barrett, who was a painter first that then became a rock star). Frank had talent.

paulmock, Bob F and RSteven like this.
  24. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Have you ever seen the paintings of one "Bennedetto"...aka Tony Bennett? Now HE is a painter/artist who just happens to sing.

25. Bob F

A book of his later paintings (mostly geometric abstracts) was published in 1991 — A Man and His Art: Frank Sinatra (Introduction by Tina Sinatra). According to daughter Tina, painting was a major passion of his (along with model railroading). A corner of the 2015 “Sinatra 100” exhibit at Lincoln Center was devoted to a mock-up of his home studio.