Finished Deadwood, Lost, Mad Men.. What's next?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Jan 2, 2014.

1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Not seen Succession or Dark.

2. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Treme. After the closing credits I usually have to rewatch the episode I just watched because I missed something. The guys who put it together were such experts on multi level stories they made it look easy. There must be about 13 plots running concurrently.

DLD, Werner Berghofer and alexpop like this.
  3. alexpop

4 seasons. If I can pick it up cheap I’ll get it. 40 bucks blu ray complete. I’ll look for the DVD methinks.

4. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

You can pick it up really cheap in Australia. I got the first three seasons for $1 each. Sealed.

alexpop likes this.
  5. proedros

proedros Forum Resident

+1on Treme - it is very good, very empathy/human series

David Simon is a master of TV.

they are currently on their 2nd seasons , both OK'ed for a 3rd one

Succession maybe the best US show atm ,fantastic writing takes a few episodes to takeoff but after that you'r hooked

Dark is a Netflx sci-fi ,with time travelling , but itis very much a character shows

Reminds me of Treme ,but in a sci-fi level.

alexpop likes this.
  6. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Same period as Berlin Alexanderplatz only better, more, different, sophisticated, daring.

Don't worry about the subtitles, they're okay.

Download it off netflix or wherever.

alexpop likes this.
  7. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Dark is one I posted about a few pages ago. Very hard to follow, especially the first season. Is in German with unknown (to me anyways) actors. Many characters to try to keep track of which at first is extremely confusing keeping in mind that you have to read the subtitles as well as deal with unfamiliar actors to try to remember who is who and who is related to who or means what to who, exacerbated by multiple timelines involving the same characters played by multiple actors.

I found that in order to even make the slightest sense of what was going on in the first season I had to watch each episode once, then read the description about that episode on wikipedia, then watch it again. Then make notes/questions to ask a friend at work who already saw it to try to explain some things I was not following. It was only in watching season 2 that I became acquainted enough with all the characters/actors/stories/timelines that I was able to follow things just watching an episode once but even then there are still many unanswered questions (to me at least). I have gone back and started watching season 1 again now and picking up on many things I missed the first time through. But I found that the payoff in watching the show is worth it, some really cool stuff going on. It takes effort to stick with it though (I tried to turn some friends onto it who gave up because they were too confused).

I think I mentioned all this above already but also in case I did not something important to mention is that if you go to wikipedia make sure you AVOID reading any of the character descriptions and DO NOT LOOK at the family trees etc as those all contain numerous spoilers that ruin some surprises better to discover for yourself while watching it.

alexpop likes this.
  8. alexpop

Thx for the tip!!!!! :righton:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  9. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Here are excerpts of a good review from the link below that touches on the essence of the show in season 1 at least and what it is like to watch it, removing any spoilers:

Netflix’s Dark Is Like Stranger Things, But Also Nothing Like Stranger Things

Netflix’s first original German series, Dark, will inevitably be compared to Stranger Things. Both series focus on children who have gone missing; both are set, partially in Dark’s case, in the 1980s; both involve unexplained phenomena that cause lights to flicker, among other things; and both reveal underground pathways that connect to a mysterious facility that’s key to the show’s central mysteries.

There are a lot of characters to keep track of, which is one of the key challenges in the initial episodes that inevitably suck you in regardless. The show opens with a voice-over explaining that “everything is connected,” which turns out to be true of the relationships between the parents and children in four families that are slowly introduced.

With the caveat that it’s best to enter Dark as spoiler-free as possible, I won’t say too much about the role that 1986 plays in the series, other than to say that the drama between its men, women, boys, and girls toggles back and forth between that year and 2019, in ways that support the Albert Einstein quote that flashes onscreen in the pilot: “The distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion.”

If this all sounds cryptic, that’s because it is. Dark is a mystery-box show through and through, complete with secrets and surprising twists and cliffhangers that put a cap on each episode while enticing you to immediately open the bottle of the next one. It is such a mystery-box show that it even features a box, containing the suicide note....and takes several episodes to actually reveal what the letter says. While that might sound frustrating, the thicket of story lines is so intricate that there’s no time to get annoyed when one piece of information takes a while to reveal itself. There are too many other elements of the puzzle to continue trying to sort out.

The overall vibe is so heavy that watching Dark can be a bit suffocating at times. I’ll also note that this show has never met a portentous moment that it couldn’t make more portentous by unleashing the sound of extremely ominous-sounding strings. If you’re looking for something that’s going to lighten your spirits at the end of a rough week, this isn’t it. But if you enjoy complex mysteries that embrace a sense of melancholy and never let go of it — think not just The Returned, but also The Killing or season one of Top of the Lake — this will be right up your creepy alley and/or shadowy gravel road in the middle of nowhere.

alexpop likes this.
  10. alexpop

Yeah ! The concept appeals to me.
    Just got to seek out the dvd.

11. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Also, unfortunately in your case (& mine), there is no DVD release of Dark, at least not yet that I know of. I'm hoping once the final season comes out (season 3) they will do a physical media release at which point I'll pick the whole thing up.

alexpop likes this.
  12. alexpop

I’ve come to the conclusion I like to own a tv series. Physical media. So it looks like unless it’s available from Netflix etc on dvd /blu ray ..I just have to pass on a few shows that no media version is available. Now there’s a dvd of
    “StrAnger THinGs “region 1 version, but I need to buy a multi region DVD player ...too much hassle + cost, pity. Guess I’ll be missing out on some great shows.

slipkid likes this.
  13. alexpop

Another (BBC) 3 part BBC drama The Driver.
    Pretty good, n pretty cheap new $1.00 blu ray.

14. rmath84

rmath84 Forum Resident

Came back here to recommend Justified since it's available on Amazon Prime now. I see it's already been covered. Margo Martindale is great in season 2. There is a scene near the end of the season
    where she is crying and begging Raylan to let her see Loretta and when he says no she instantly changes, shrugs her shoulders, and turns mean again

I also found it interesting to hear Damon Herriman's natural speaking voice, since he has the best Kentucky accent (to my Yankee ear). My favorite quote from Dewey Crowe is "The anus is on you to take care of it".

15. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Ray Donovan

Brenald79 likes this.
  16. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

I'm 1 episode in & it is as dark as I'd read in reviews, but it's very intriguing & the acting is tops. Question to those who've viewed in its' entirety. Would skipping to season 2 be workable, or would I be "L O S T"? Read that it was retooled after Season 1. I just don't feel a need to be on the edge-of-my-seat so much for entertainment, esp as there's only so much comedy to view after such intensity. Other series' that I've just gotten on DVD/Emmy FYC format are Chance & Shut Eye (Hulu series). 1 episode into Shut Eye - love this show/different, but wow, again, grim & violent. 1 scene in particular makes memories of The Sopranos seem like a Disney flick. Appreciate Leftovers opinions...:):tiphat:

alexpop likes this.
  17. alexpop

Leftovers?
    You have to ride it out. Worth it in the end.

LilacTeardrop likes this.
  18. LilacTeardrop

Thanks for taking time to give opinion...:):wave:

alexpop likes this.
  19. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

DLD likes this.
  20. proedros

proedros Forum Resident

need to watch it all from the start i am afraid ,as this is not NCIS so every episode adds something meaningful to the characters background stories

btw S1 is good , S2 is very good , S3 is spendid

enjoy

LilacTeardrop likes this.
  21. LilacTeardrop

Okay then...will just avert eyes when something too disturbing rears head. :) That's how I've viewed Luther! :yikes: (Haven't viewed Season 5 yet.) Thank You. :thumbsup:

proedros likes this.
  22. alexpop

I liked Leftovers didn’t feel it was extreme ( guess all subjective). What about The Returned( Les Revenants) only 2 seasons ?

DLD likes this.
  23. alexpop

Yeah ! Just started watching this drama mystery series again. Season 1, is pretty brutal ( 18 certificate). What drives it along is the soundtrack /score by German composer Max Richter. One of the cast Carrie Coon was in the MCU Avengers Endgame /Infinity. Other actors, Once Upon A Time In ..Hollywood, Margaret Qualley.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  24. alexpop

Finished deadwood The Movie. (DVD ).
    Anti climatic ending.
    Movie? Felt like a tv episode.
    Nice to see the characters again, but was expecting much more.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  25. alexpop

Vikings
    Last season. Don’t know why I stuck with this series for so long. Very pedestrian, a case of “ not” Not sexy enough, not exciting enough, not adventurous enough” apart from the England and Mediterranean...the Vikings ( series ) didn’t discover America.

Believe Season 6 has been cancelled.

slipkid likes this.