Second hand vinyl - are prices for classic rock going up, down or flatlining?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by back2vinyl, May 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

I'd love to see what those stores consider really rare and have displayed up on their walls and what prices they're asking. I sure hope they're not common Boston, Journey and Cars albums.

Their customers must be the "Clueless Crosley Crowd". Maybe they'll eventually wise up and start buying that stuff for far less on Discogs, eBay or at a record show.

But until that happens, they're getting hosed big time by those stores. I wouldn't be surprised if they're mostly vinyl newbies. Maybe they should get out their smartphones to check online what these records are really worth before paying those ridiculous inflated prices.

If I or anyone else priced those records for that kind of money at a record show we'd be laughed out of the room!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    lazydawg58 and uzn007 like this.
  2. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

It's a shame, though, if all those original pressings are getting chewed up by cheap gear.

lazydawg58 and vinylbeat like this.
  3. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

Yeah!.......and expensive new vinyl as well.

lazydawg58 and uzn007 like this.
  4. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

Lots of hipsters there I guess. :cool: But seriously the cost of living and doing business in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic is higher than most other parts of the country. The Metro areas of NC are high as well but not that high.

You did kind of move the goal posts too. You had said any 70/80 pressing now you are talking about first pressing. And Thriller is an in demand album. That is very different from a Boston, Cars, Cheap Trick album.

Let me add that there are record stores here in NC that have prices similar to what you describe. I can go to a Whole Foods or IGA for groceries. I will pay a lot more at Whole Foods for the same things. The same is true for LPs.

5. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

6. radickeyfan

7. radickeyfan

8. radickeyfan

9. radickeyfan

see my posts above. the market is rising , and rising fast ..it seems you ar not willing to accept this--see above posts

10. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Boston, Journey, Cars for more than $5 (Canadian) is kind of nuts up here too. But they're also selling Rumours up here for $20-40! I could see Boston's first lp going for more though if in great condition,

Could be just a weird thing in that market? Forget online prices, those are in a league of their own and are never explainable. :)

11. radickeyfan

but that is the issue , i think many (if not most) stores-price the inventory to kind of equal , what something sells for on-line (esp EBAY-as they are the used vinyl kings)....as i tell the stores i service all of the time, they would be foolish to not match online prices at EBAY

12. radickeyfan

and seriously Journey lps from Evolution onward , are a $20+ bill in NM (even VG++)

13. lazydawg58

Again what the heck is VG++ suppose to be? It looks like a marketing trick to me. Goldmine defines VG+ as audibly without any flaws, and NM as audibly without any flaws and appearing as if it may never have been played. I don't see any wiggle room in there. If a record has any surface noise, crackle, pop etc it is VG. Now there is plenty of wiggle room within VG. You might refer to a VG record with hardly any flaws VVG and a VG record with recurring noise that doesn't greatly interfere with listening as VG- but what is suppose to be VG+ is extremely clear.

If these shops are selling at these prices their grading also needs to be a listen grade, not a visual. Visual grading is nothing more than an educated guess.

14. lazydawg58

Again you are moving the goal posts. You said any pressing, now you are quoting first pressing. You said VG++ (which is nothing more than VG+) and now you are quoting NM. Even then this is e-bay and prices are all over the place on e-bay. Most online record buyers will eventually migrate over to Discogs where prices are more stable and reasonable. And "collectors" will use a forum like Steve Hoffman to buy and trade.

15. lazydawg58

For every bubble there is a bust. It is an artificial high.

16. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

How about listing those stores that you're referring to as a courtesy to forum members........so we can avoid them!

uzn007 and lazydawg58 like this.
  17. lazydawg58

EBay has a worldwide pool of potential buyers. A used record store has a pool of buyers limited to the surrounding area. If you are located in a high density, high income, youthful market maybe.

18. lazydawg58

How about Styx. I've got a bunch of Styx albums I'll sell you for half that. I was going to sell them for $4.

uzn007 and vinylbeat like this.
  19. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

No. But I have a lot of "Chicago"albums. Double LP's are $50, singles are $25. Sealed copies are 4x those prices. Get em' while there hot........not!

lazydawg58 likes this.
  20. lazydawg58

I checked and you can get Evolution for $10 plus shipping VG+/VG+ for a 100% rated seller on Discogs. You can get a NM/NM from a 99% rated seller for $12.50 plus shipping, but you can also make him an offer so figure you can probably get it from him for $10.

uzn007 likes this.
  21. lazydawg58

I've got a gold mine then!!!!! I too have Chicago albums out the ying yang!!!!!!!

uzn007 and vinylbeat like this.
  22. radickeyfan

never stated Chicago , Styx , etc...they are pretty much dogs everywhere
    add Yes (for the most of their catalog) , also ELP --ELP they pretty much toss in the garbage when they are in collections---Boston , Journey , Cars though , all , are very solid sellers from what i see , esp in nice grade vg++ or better

23. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

I knew one day all of those "Corporate Rock" albums would be worth a fortune! I bet those "Grease" and "SNF" soundtracks are going for big bucks too.....lol!

lazydawg58 likes this.
  24. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Those are important points. Online prices have to be taken in context to the market size. The best stores will take account of their local market and their particular buyers.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  25. lazydawg58

It was a joke.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.