The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Ignored!

2. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Now I feel stupid having stated the above in a serious manner. (You're not serious, right buddy ol' pal?). Again, you guys have defanged the wolf of Ignore. I hope you're pleased with yourselves because now chaos can be the only result here.

"West L.A. Fadeaway" on In The Dark--essential!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    Crispy Rob, Archtop, US Blues and 2 others like this.
  3. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I guess "Tons Of Steel" will never lose its clunkiness. And then the sweet litheness of "Throwing Stones." If I was a bear, I'd dance to this. But then there's this whole issue that the bears are actually marching, even goose-stepping, and not dancing. I read that, and did not approve.

4. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Crispy Rob, laf848, ARK and 6 others like this.
  5. Day_Tripper2019

Day_Tripper2019 Forum Resident

Playing 7/16/76 (DaP 18 bonus disc)

1976 is good for digestion after dinner.

The actual release -7/17/76- is beyond loved on here but I find it to be one of the worst releases along with #10 12/12/69.

Have given both these shows numerous listens and find them dull. Might be time to hopefully be proven wrong.

6. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Did it travel to hell and back ? Box looks a bit worse for ware.

Matthew Tate and US Blues like this.
  7. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Nah, it's not too bad at all. I think the shadowing and cellophane is making it look bad. The bottom corner was dinged a little, but after taking the cellophane off I've since straightened it out. To be fair, it was packaged pretty well in double cardboard boxing — miles better than the crappy jiffy bags they use to send DaP's in! It's a real nice box set — looking forward to diving into it!

Edit — I've just had a look again at the box, as I'm ripping the discs and it's actually in pretty great condition.

laf848, ARK, wavethatflag and 2 others like this.
  8. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

21 October 1978- Winterland.

Finished this morning. A fine listen from front to back. From Egypt With Love.

Stella Blue :love:

Crispy Rob, LucaB, budwhite and 11 others like this.
  9. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

I remember we trawled through these fake posters earlier in the thread, but this one I hadn't seen before:

[​IMG]

At this point, they must be taking the piss, as the English say.

10. US Blues

22 October 1978- Winterland. From Egypt With Love.

Hamza el Din opens the show with a very kind version of Helalisa.

11. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

I feel like this is a subliminal note to listen to Los Lobos’ version of this song, East LA Fadeaway....

12. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Senior Member

13. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

The 30-year "Bring Out Your Dead" reunion.

14. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Pig at MSG. Maybe it a poster from an alternate time-line!

15. <as usual, Pigpen is the only one with any modeling poise or fashion sense

16. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Can't believe Jerry was still sporting that denim shirt in '94.

17. it was his most formal attire.

Crispy Rob, ARK, budwhite and 7 others like this.
  18. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I'm sorry, did you say something? :nyah:

notesofachord, sami, bzfgt and 2 others like this.
  19. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

Ordered my Dave's Pick of 3-24-73 just about a half hour ago. What a crapshow. I can see now why people are complaining about the Giants Stadium deliveries, because their whole ordering process is ridiculous. Don't let that stop you from ordering if you want one, though, it's a great show.

20. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

They actually have a message that says "Please expect a delay in your shipment" before you've even checked out. They have this stupid system where you're supposed to search google for your address (using a widget) instead of just typing it in like a normal person. The first time I tried to check out, I didn't "select" the option correctly and it left my shipping address blank. Then when I tried to check out, it didn't give me the option to edit my shipping address. Went back to my cart and started over... the "search" widget was also entering unnecessary information into my address, like putting the name of my subdivision in as "Address Line 2". Thanks for that, google widget.

Really embarrassingly bad for an ecommerce site from Warner/Rhino in 2019.

21. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Ugh. I'm a subscriber so I didn't worry about that today, but it sounds like the whole system has gotten (miraculously) even worse.

22. US Blues

I need a miracle, I need a miracle...

23. STGATX

STGATX Forum Resident

Ugh, don't say that. I finally decided to grab the Circles Around the Sun CDs from Dead.net because it's not easily available anywhere else. It's been almost a week and I haven't heard anything about it shipping....

24. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

This Dave's Pick was one I thought about trying to buy, but then I thought better. I still don't even have all the studio albums on CD, I'm thinking about maybe getting that PNW set etc.

Meantime I just came across this quote from Garcia, which was in a review on the Believe it if You Need it comp on Amazon, and I suspect comes from the box set booklet.

Anyway, if that's the case, and he was talking about this in the early 70s, the degree to which they achieved that (or didn't) was a defining aspect of most of the rest of their career:

"What the Grateful Dead has to do...is to try and invent alternative structures and forms which will allow music to fit in with life in a manner that doesn't devour the artist." Jerry Garcia.

25. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

I'm not sure you're really obligated to own all the studio CDs before purchasing this official release of a killer show, but to each his own.

rcb30, ARK, Six Bachelors and 6 others like this.