Paul McCartney/Wings-song by song thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bemagnus, Sep 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Oh I think you are definitely on to something. This is just song titles . . .

Who Cares, Yorick, Bemagnus and 2 others like this.
  2. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

Ooh my you have some nice lists there! Didn't realize how many day songs there were but yeah, there's a lot of both. I keep forgetting to do Meatless Monday. I had a hamburger yesterday. Whoopsy - okay I'll make up for it today (and tonight). Just remembered Paul had the Egypt Station cover in day and night versions.

omikron likes this.
  3. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

Good observation
    The album could have been titled
    The night time is the right time
    Assorted night-tales
    from
    Paul McCartney and Wings
    :):)

4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Man! I haven't been paying attention, probably because I never really listened to the album, something I should probably do today. But, as i've heard the hits, i'll quickly comment on "My Love".

"My Love" is the first Wings song I really took notice of, mainly because it was all over the radio in the late spring of 1973. I know a lot of people around here hate it, but I always loved it. It's a damn good pop song!

joy stinson and Bemagnus like this.
  5. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Paul McCartney - Knight of Nights and Days, a playlist by Dr. Pepper on Spotify

omikron likes this.
  6. coco77

coco77 Forum Resident

Single Pigeon. Simple, evocative, and continues Paul’s affinity for birds! I love the way he sounds on this one, his natural voice I guess. Cool arrangement, with the loud brass coming in, reminds of of mid 2000s indie pop, like it could have been in an iPod commercial in 2007...

There’s a story in Man On The Run (great book) about a fan on an early morning jog encountering a haggard looking Paul sitting alone on a park bench in NYC and this song always reminds me of that moment. Sunday morning fight about Saturday night...

Who Cares, BZync and Bemagnus like this.
  7. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

Single Pigeon 4/5 ~ yet another great song on that album. Short and beautiful. Indeed very whitealbumish ...

Red Rose Speedway is GREAT!
    3.5/5 is my lowest RRS song rating:righton:
    [​IMG]

The MEZ, Who Cares, Big Pasi and 2 others like this.
  8. Dr. Pepper

omikron, said, Oh I think you are definitely on to something. This is just song titles . . .
    I'm sure I missed a few but here is the list:

Day

Another Day
    A Fine Day
    All Day
    Big Day
    Birthday
    Early Days
    Great Day
    Good Day Sunshine
    Heaven On A Sunday
    Here Today
    Meat Free Monday
    One Of These Days
    Somedays
    Stella May Day
    Summer’s Day Song
    That Day Is Done
    Valentine’s Day
    Yesterday

Night

Beautiful Night
    Dance Tonight
    Gonna Set This Town On Fire Tonight
    Goodnight Princess
    Every Night
    Night Out
    No More Lonely Nights
    On The Wings of a Nightingale
    Rode All Night
    When The Night
    The World Tonight
    We’re Open Tonight

Day/Night Bonus Points!

Goodnight Tonight
    Daytime Nighttime Suffering

Paul McCartney - Knight of Nights and Days, a playlist by Dr. Pepper on Spotify

Bemagnus likes this.
  9. Dr. Pepper

That seems a little high, what about it makes it two notches better than One More Kiss that you gave 7/10 I believe?

Bemagnus likes this.
  10. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Nice job. Enjoyed it for the most part and I can see how 'Red Rose Speedway ' could have been a much better album.
    Speaking for myself, I don't like mixing live cuts and studio versions on the same disc. I can see the attraction this has for some but not for me.
    Thanks for steering me to this. I'm not a Spotify guy but it's clear you certainly are!
    Cheers.

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  11. BZync

BZync Senior Member

Single Pigeon is another unassuming charmer from Paul. The verse, to my ears, is an indication of just how melody came naturally to him. Such a lovely melody in what amounts to a throwaway song. Only Paul.

The MEZ, Who Cares, Big Pasi and 2 others like this.
  12. Bemagnus

I give One more kiss 8/10
    Single pidgeon 8,5/10
    To high?
    :)

The MEZ and omikron like this.
  13. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

One More Kiss feels like Macca-by-numbers, a song he could write in his sleep. It’s nice and effortless, but that makes it sound a bit less sincere to me.
    Single Pigeon on the other hand sounds very sincere and special to me. Maybe having sought out the chords on the piano helped me realize just how great it is. I just love everything about it.

14. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

I agree with this. One More Kiss is a bit rote and a bit simpy. Single Pigeon is a small inspiration, easily could have been on Side 2 of the White Album.

Yorick and Bemagnus like this.
  15. Bemagnus

I really like the simplicity of One more kiss but agree that Single Oidgeon is a far more acomplished song-both regarding lyrics and music.
    ”Sunday morning fight about saturday night” is a brilliant line and the music is kind of special to.

joy stinson and Yorick like this.
  16. Bemagnus

Next one
    When the night
    Second song on side 2 is this RnB-infected bluesy ballad. It s a fine perfomance from the band with nice vocal-harmonies and another great lead-vocal from Paul. I ecspecially like his full-throated scream towards the end. There are some melodic patterns here that somehow remonts me of Tomorrow from Wild Life
    A moody track that I always have liked-still do.

Well the night was beautiful and mellow, mellow
    And the light of the night fell on me, fell on me
    You said right, made me a happy fellow, fellow
    And the light of the night fell on me
    I never will forget the night
    I held you close, I held you tight
    Oh darling, dont you know
    The way you made my senses reel?
    I fell in love and now I feel
    Like I will never go
    Oh little darling dont you know
    That the night was marvelous and yellow, yellow
    I never will forget the way
    You taught me how to swing and sway
    Oh darling dont you know
    That ever since that special day
    My mind can only contemplate
    The magic that you show
    Oh little darling dont you know
    That the night is beautiful and yellow, yellow
    Yeah the light of the night fell on me (etc)

omikron and Piiijiii like this.
  17. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

When The Night to me is forgettable in all facets. At this point in the album it is to me the low point. The lyrics are cliched; they don't flow very well in the B section. The backing vocals are a bit of an annoyance; and I simply do night like Pauls "dur de dur de dur" scatting behind the guitar solo. Shoulda mixed that out!! Sorry - this one is low flying Wings. And it doesn't swing, either.

Yorick likes this.
  18. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

"When The Night" > "Single Pigeon"

joy stinson likes this.
  19. Dr. Pepper

When The Night - 8.5/10

I like the vocal work Paul does on this one. Ni-ni-ni... ni-ni-ni...ni-night. Always been one of my favorites on the album. Nothing essential, but nice and fun.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  20. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Single Pigeon: 4.5/5 Like One More Kiss, this one is awkward but I really, really like it. It has an interesting approach to it. Fairly different for Paul’s music. There is some sorrowful emotion in there too.

When The Night: 5/5 One of the true highlights of the album for me. Just a gorgeous song all around. You might start off thinking that this song is going to end up to be a plodding snoozer but Paul's singing and seemingly even the drumming are done off-beat for most of the song in a little melodic flourish. I like the backing vocals. I really like Paul's vocal throughout the song and then he screams it out at then end. I like guitar strums at the end. I guess I like it all!

21. Dr. Pepper

Naw that seems about right. After thinking this through, I'll revise things a little.

One More Kiss 7/10
    Single Pigeon 8/10
    When The Night 8.5/10

Bemagnus likes this.
  22. BZync

BZync Senior Member

When The Night is a well crafted track. It's a good album track but not a particularly inspired one. Having said that, the vocal coda is pretty exciting.

23. Bemagnus

Pauls vocals at the end of When the night is one if those great, magic Macca moments. What a singer he was back in the days
    In fact I have listened to When the night three times in a row now and think the whole track is phenomenal. Rootsycand simple but at the same time very sophisticated. Put this beside Call me back again and Souvernir and we have three great RnB-ballads from Paul
    :)

joy stinson likes this.
  24. Dr. Pepper

You are so welcome! They obviously agreed with you about the live tracks in that they dropped all of them off the original single album. I think as a double album it's alright to mix the Live and studio, especially in this case in that the studio performances have issues on all of these tracks and the live versions are objectively superior. Now having said that, I would also say that what they really should have done is re-recorded these three tracks in the studio to emulate more of the energy and vitality of the live tracks, then they could have had the best of both worlds, but since they chose not to do that, the live is the way to go in my book.

As far as Spotify goes, I obviously love to make and share playlists, reminds me of when we would do mix tapes for our friends, but much easier. I also just can't get over the fact that I can get 5 premium accounts for my family at about $3.5o a month each under the $16 family plan.

25. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

"Single Pigeon" is my favorite on the album.

"When the Night" is fun and has a great McCartney vocal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.