Thoughts on the Marantz TT-15S1?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TheRavenPoe, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

This is truly a spectacular little turntable and cartridge for the money, I have had mine set up about 2 weeks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

Where'd you get the dustcover?

3. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

:righton:

Merely relayed what I had read. Having said that, my Dynavector carts sound better but that's an unfair comparison due to cost and, really, it's all subjective in the end. But it does sound much better than the 2M Blue that we tried on it! I think you'll be pleasantly surprised and personally can't wait to read your thoughts once you get it.

As for the setup, though the protractor advice is spot-on, nothing wrong with using the default setup. The Marantz was super easy to set up and its sound and operation is terrific. My only niggle is the arm descends too quickly for my tastes as I've been spoiled by the VPI Prime where it goes down much slower, therefore allowing me enough time to head to the couch before the stylus hits the LP, but again, this is purely nitpicking.

That and the power button being awkwardly placed. Since I'm paranoid about having the motor touch the plinth and there's little wiggle room, I suggested to my father-in-law to use a power bar right next to the Marantz he could power on and off so as to prevent the need to reach all the way back to activate/deactivate it and possibly disrupt the location of the motor. Easy cheap fix. :)

When are you getting it?

dolsey01 likes this.
  4. dolsey01

dolsey01 Forum Resident

I used one of these with my TT15 for the motor power. Worked great! And if you find out your don't need it later down the road, use it for your X-mas tree!

https://smile.amazon.com/Woods-3255...ix=outdoor+remote+o,aps,149&sr=8-7&th=1&psc=1

PooreBoy, izgoblin and Strat-Mangler like this.
  5. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

Does anyone use one of these, or am I the only one? :):
    [​IMG]

6. Strat-Mangler

My father-in-law uses one. Unnecessary on the Marantz, in my experience. It was dead-on out of the box but my FIL is a tinkerer and gadget lover by nature and having a simple setup is something he is seemingly allergic to.

I've read of a few people who had some puzzling issues which were traced back to that device. My personal opinion is if it's unneeded, best not to use one. Keeping the setup as simple as possible is always what I recommend.

7. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

The Marantz is spec'd at 5W and the Speed Box DS says "up to 3W". I guess your FiL didn't have any problems though?

8. Strat-Mangler

He hasn't had any yet but you never know.

9. Jujigatame

Jujigatame Forum Resident

How did you do the LED lighting?

10. Strat-Mangler

Usually, an LED light is installed underneath the plinth. Since the plinth is essentially transparent, the light propagates easily.

izgoblin likes this.
  11. Jujigatame

Yeah, I get that, I'm just curious on the specifics.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  12. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Yup, the power thing was the LEAST of my worries! I already use an easily accessible power strip, so no problem here. Sounds like the issue with the belt riding too low can be worked around too, so I'm already on that thanks to the many helpful posts in this thread.

Looks like it should arrive early next week, and I'll probably take off of work on Wednesday to set it up and play some records. I will post in the other thread what I find, probably first my immediate observations and then again after I've had some time with it (where I will certainly compare certain LPs played on the Marantz and the VPI Scout).

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  13. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

I'm finally getting around to setting mine up and am getting no sound (only buzz) in the left channel. Can someone with one of these units please confirm the correct cartridge connections for me? The manual seems to suggest that looking from the back of the cart, the colors are: top left: white, top right: red, bottom left: blue, bottom right: green. Am I reading that wrong? Can someone take a look at theirs and confirm? I'd like to know for sure before I fiddle around with those tiny wires more.

14. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Correct. The picks at the top of this page show wrong connection.

izgoblin likes this.
  15. Litejazz53

JackG likes this.
  16. Litejazz53

Strat-Mangler has it correct, an LCD light that changes color placed under the table. It really works out nicely.

17. motorstereo

motorstereo Forum Resident

Another option for the Emotion and the one that I use on mine is an acrylic cover and stand from an old Pioneer PL41 tt. A custom wooden base completely separates it from the Emotion so airborne vibrations do not get transmitted to the plinth.

18. warp2600

warp2600 Forum Addict

I notice something strange in your pics. Your tonarm wires going to the Clearaudio cartridge have a different order in colour than mine. You have white and green in the upper row while I have white and red.

[​IMG]

formu_la likes this.
  19. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

20. Danilo

Danilo Forum Resident

Your colours order is the correct one

warp2600, CraigVC and formu_la like this.
  21. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

If you have any links to the Baerwald device you prefer I would be very grateful, thanks.

22. Jujigatame

Danilo and sound chaser like this.
  23. snp304

snp304 Well-Known Member

Just got this beauty in today and set it up, which was an absolute breeze.....I came from a Project Expression III with a ortofon red...wow, what an upgrade...so happy with this table. I poured over this thread for days before I made the purchase...thanks all for the advice, input, thoughts etc...

24. sz117

sz117 Active Member

Bought this TT two weeks ago. Out of the box, it actually sounds worse than my old Rega Planar 1. Surface noise is more noticeable, so are clicks and pops. Is this normal for a new TT and cartridge?

25. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

How is the tonal quality, the imaging/soundstage, etc., compared to your previous turntable? if the exact same LP sounds like it has more pops, clicks, and surface noise on the Marantz compared to your previous turntable, it might be because the Marantz is more revealing and transparent?

Danilo likes this.