Thinking of Buying a Marantz 2275 Receiver

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bubba-ho-tep, Oct 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well Thread Starter

A friend at work asked if I would be interested in buying a Marantz 2275 receiver that he did some work on. He has He replaced the old incandescent backlighting with new LEDs and recapped it. The only thing not working at the moment are the level gauges. He purchased a replacement set but never got around to installing them since he bought another receiver that he has made his primary listening receiver.

He’s asking $600 for the receiver, replacement gauges, and an extra set of LEDs. I have brought it home and done some critical listening and the thing sounds (and looks) pretty sweet.
    Is $600 pretty reasonable considering that I’ll need to be responsible for the gauge replacement?

Echoes Myron likes this.
  2. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

It always depends on who has done the service work. A ham-fisted drooler? A qualified technician with the brains and experience and good sense to replace caps (etc.) to original spec? A wanna-be soldering goof who overheated everything while making changes? If the service work was done by an amateur with a proprietary interest in great sound and great care for vintage receivers, that works too. Based on that last bit, US$600 is well below what fully restored units are going for on HiFiShark and a lot of other sites.

I own a 2250B that was fully restored by a great technician who treats Marantz receivers like treasure. It’s a great receiver, and the 2275 you’re considering is even more of the same. It contains a wonderful tuner, an amp that sounds like liquid gold, and looks terrific as well.

patient_ot and Echoes Myron like this.
  3. bubba-ho-tep

He definitely cares about sound and build quality. Just about all of his audio equipment is vintage hardware that he restored.

4. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

If it were me, I'd have him fix those before exchanging any money.

rockclassics and waaguirr like this.
  5. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

I owned a 2270 for many years. The lack of a remote would be the only drawback for me.

6. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

$600 is a very fair price. $900 to $1,200 is what they are selling for frequently. At $600 you could pay for a restoration if/when needed and still be able to come out on it.

7. onemug

onemug Forum Resident

If it's cosmetics are as good as you say, then "I" would do it. Just about any 'sound' problem can be fixed, scratches, bends, dents ...not so much.

As far as the level gauges go, and I'm assuming you mean 'signal strength and center tuning', they are only useful in dialing in FM stations and you really don't even them to do that. Fix them if you have to.

8. bubba-ho-tep

I considered this but I decided that the receiver is in such good condition otherwise that I wouldn't mind having them fixed at a later date since I think that $600 is pretty low for this particular receiver in this kind of condition.

This is the way I'm leaning. $600 is pretty good for this.

Yeah, that what those meters are. I don't listen to FM radio enough to really need these but I will probably get them repaired at a later date for aesthetic value.

Thanks for the input, everybody. I think that I'm going to pull the trigger on this (pending spousal approval, of course).

bluesaddict likes this.
  9. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

If your friend is too busy to fix the meters, he's too busy to fix the receiver when it has a real problem. Think about that for a minute before you plunk down cash. I'd get him to fix the meters now, or no deal. That's just me though.

jeffsab likes this.
  10. harby

harby Forum Resident

If you're thinking of a 70's Japanese-made receiver, you can probably find a Sansui for a fraction the price that rolled off the same assembly line.

Sansui 9090 (most expensive):
    [​IMG]
    Marantz
    [​IMG]

11. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

If you find a 9090 for a fraction of $600, grab it. The sell for well over $1,000, you’d be lucky to get one for parts at $600.

reidc and classicrocker like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.