The Beatles' "Rubber Soul" - Putting together the proper tracklist

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by yesstiles, Dec 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill

Bill Senior Member

There is help available for you.

drad dog and Cronverc like this.
  2. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

and Help! (Both configurations).

Cronverc and Bill like this.
  3. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

I'm sure he'll show up soon.

4. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

A record like The Kinks' Village Green Preservation Society didn't chart, neither in the UK nor in the US, and today it's considered one of the most influential of the 60s. There are best-sellers that are forgotten in the mist of time.

Rubber Soul is a highly influential record, the US version in the three countries in which it was released, the original in the rest of the world. It is pointless to compare sales, because only one version was sold in each country. I'm pretty sure if both had been released in the US, fans would have bought the 14-track Beatles-approved version over the 12-track Capitol-assembled version, but that we will never know for sure.

You love playing with words, but you know what I mean.

Now you are changing the argument. I only talked about Spanish bands because you said I could not know about the influence of the album outside of British and American bands.

In any case, if you recognize the influence of the original album on UK bands, you agree with my point: the original album had an influence too, so it's not a particular effect of the Capitol configuration.

5. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

At 56 pages in, have you come to any conclusions on the proper track list?

6. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

Village green was not a hit. So it's one of the best of the decade, but it would have been a lot more influential if it had been more popular. You could say that about the Kinks band.

You are not refuting the fact that the wider and deeper the penetration the more influence is exerted. And you can't refute the massive market the US represented for the fabs. It was their paradise, and they set out to conquer it. Because of all the consumers.

It's not playing with words to say that "milestone" is a good word for a lot of Beatles LPs, but US RS was much bigger. I know what you mean, but I disagree.

I mentioned Spanish bands as a stand in for rock groups around the world, in making the point that most successful rock music that we find familiar and was influenced by the fabs, in a very large part, comes from the english speaking world. The US is such a large part of the beatles sales and audience, and remit, and mission, that it makes an influence just by that fact.

OK I'm going to stop calling it the US RS. I'm going to call it the Canadian RS. For reasons I have already given: Joni, Neil, Leonard, The band, Gordon Lightfoot, Ian and Sylvia, Anne Murray. The first four names on that list alone are plenty of justification for the C RS being canon.

7. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Wrong!!

abzach likes this.
  8. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

The only point I was trying to make, and it's made, is that of the American and UK combined sales of Rubber Soul, 90% is from America, 1o% from the UK. Doesn't matter if it's 1965 figures, doesn't matter if it's 1987 figures, gold, platinum, double platinum, the percentages are the same.

So the US version shall be canon because it's the version that the overwhelming amount of people listened to and were influenced by from 1965 to 1987, before it was classified as an 'oldie'.

9. schnitzerphilip

90% US
    10% UK

Nothing else matters. The sales figures prove without doubt that the US Rubber Soul is canon, the UK Rubber Soul a niche compilation.

10. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Dip into BFS/Help!/RS.

a STUNNING 14 tracker !!!!!!!!

11. schnitzerphilip

[​IMG]

Think about that. Think about the gross negligence of Help Side 2.

Martin & Epstein had the biggest song standard in world history, bigger than White Christmas, sitting there buried as Track 6 on the back of a movie soundtrack album! Then they have the opener to an album that changed the entire music industry in North America buried as Track 5! Not bad enough? The other US Rubber Soul side opener as Track 2! And there's that formula, just like UK Rubber Soul, there's Ringo opening Side 2 with a flop and an awful George song too.

Hermes and drad dog like this.
  12. schnitzerphilip

No version of Revolver without I'm Only Sleeping is worth anything. Dave Dexter Jr. made a mistake on that one. Yellow Submarine was the track that should have been cut. Pity.

ajsmith likes this.
  13. schnitzerphilip

I put You've Got To Hide Your Love Away on my version of Rubber Soul earlier today and I'm sorry, just doesn't sound right, it's a Help track.

drad dog likes this.
  14. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

Source please?

15. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

Anyone who understands sales figures knows that most of those sales come pist CD

16. alexpop

Too slow pick a faster song.

17. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

Velvet Underground’s first album not influential then?

ajsmith likes this.
  18. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

But the sales figures don’t prove that
    But you’re not keen on that are you?

abzach likes this.
  19. WildWildHorses49

WildWildHorses49 Forum Resident

NO ONE CARES

20. WildWildHorses49

WildWildHorses49 Forum Resident

You've Got To Hide Your Love Away is as much a Help! track than I've Just Seen A Face and It's Only Love are. Period. Those two tracks don't sound right on Rubber Soul either.

21. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Dave Dexter Jr had nothing to do with Yesterday & Today and Revolver. Your ignorance of Capitol records is astounding.

22. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

The Kinks were a niche band appealing to Anglophiles as they built a shrine to U.K. culture but didn’t expand their horizons much beyond all things Anglo. Unless they were singing songs like this, a song some view as racist:

23. alexpop

Aping the Bonzo Dog Band.

goodiesguy likes this.
  24. central616

central616 Forum Resident

1. I never said She Loves You should be on RS.
    2. Hello Goodbye doesn't belong to Sgt. Pepper. The albums are what they are and not what you want.
    Sadly for you US Rubber Soul is a compilation album made by a record company, and the UK one is the proper version of the album. Not because I want or like it, but that's what the band wanted to be released. You could make a perfect album by borrowing tracks from other albums or singles, but that's called a compilation.

paolo and WildWildHorses49 like this.
  25. central616

central616 Forum Resident

"[​IMG] BPI certification awarded only for sales since 1994.[236]"
    Man c'mon. You quoted wikipedia, but deliberately ommited this.

Bill likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.