The Beatles' "Rubber Soul" - Putting together the proper tracklist

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by yesstiles, Dec 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

All of those points are aundeniably truth, yes.

2. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Different songs produce different effects. Always.

drad dog likes this.
  3. A well respected man

In the case of Rubber Soul, it produced the same effect with different tracklists. I guess 10 songs in common (and practically in the same order) makes the US version not so different from the original. So it kept most of its effect.

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  4. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

So do you feel the exact same way about the UK and US Rubber Soul albums and their effects on your life thus far? Which one do you prefer and why?

5. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Please stop. There is no way to know, other than to engage in more of the self-serving speculation and tortured analysis that have allowed this thread to stagger on as long as it has. We all like Rubber Soul and our version of it. Can't we just leave it at that?

6. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Tell that to the other guy. : )

You said you were leaving the thread today. If you don’t like the subject, please don’t tune in.

drad dog likes this.
  7. A well respected man

I like the UK version better, but I think the US album has enough in common with the original to make it a compelling listen, so it's no surprise it had a similar effect.

8. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

I think most here know.

Can you name 4 other artists who you think were better exemplars of the direct and spectacular influence of Rubber Soul on the sound of new music in the 60s?

9. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

Same effect? How on earth do you know that? Can you describe that effect in sales, or influences on bands and music in the era?

notesfrom likes this.
  10. GlassPepper

GlassPepper I can't get no

I know it is seen as a 'soundtrack' album, but the UK A Hard Day's Night feels like the first "put together" Beatles album for me. Not Rubber Soul.

11. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

When you need to massage the differences between them, you do that, but when you want to arrogate the influence of the US LP to your purposes, you say that they "share 10 songs" so it is all the same really.

Cutting 4 and adding 2 is a big deal on an LP. It's not the same.

Hermes likes this.
  12. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

Very much so. I wonder what influenced them?

Hermes likes this.
  13. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

He does mention "collection of folk songs", but to be fair the US version still includes "You Won't See Me", "The Word", "Think For Yourself", and so on, and these are not acoustic folk tunes by any stretch. I've always felt what inspired Brian Wilson about Rubber Soul was just the high quality of mature, original songwriting throughout. He didn't then set out to make a record that sounded like Rubber Soul, whether a folky album or a rock album, he simply set out to make an album that was great start to finish, and went beyond simple love songs. There is no direct style influence otherwise from Rubber Soul that I can readily hear on Pet Sounds, except maybe some minor instrumentation ideas. There's more Pet Sounds influence on Revolver to me.

14. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

John Cage, Andy Warhol, DooWop, Electroshock and Drugs.

15. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

:whistle:

16. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

Well, I guess I tried.

Thread Closed.

Bill, goodiesguy, BeatleJWOL and 9 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.