The big disappointment: announced but never released

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by no time, Sep 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

There’s a loss:cheers:

2. Cryptical17

Cryptical17 Forum Resident

In 1970 John Sebastian (of the Lovin’ Spoonful) was reported by Rolling Stone to be releasing a live album from the Isle of Wight Festival. While he did release the live album (CHEAPO CHEAPO REAL LIVE JOHN SEBASTIAN), it was comprised of a few smaller shows in California. I was initially disappointed because the Wight show was supposed to be spectacular. Overall it’s a fun record. And the cover photo IS from the Isle of Wight.

melstapler and phillyal1 like this.
  3. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

I doubt that very much. He's constantly made people wait forever for albums. This is nothing new. Nothing has surfaced since 2005.

Ed

No Bull likes this.
  4. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

I see what you mean. To think - back in the 70s, people thought that the two year wait for Songs In The Key Of Life was a long time!

5. MJConroy

MJConroy Senior Member

I thought it was "Hot Tracks and Cold Cuts". I used that for the title of my college radio show at the time.
    This article has some info: Cold Cuts (Paul McCartney album) - Wikipedia

6. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident

Neil is a Scorpio. He’s a control freak. Gemini’s just change their minds like the wind about everything says this Gemini.

7. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Will be the same with “Carnival Of Light” and the long version of “ Helter Skelter”....

WLL likes this.
  8. The Big Guy

The Big Guy Forum Resident

The Who announced a 50th Anniversary Box Set (even soliciting material from fans that might be usable). That never happened.
    There was also mention of a Super Deluxe Sell Out for that album's 50th anniversary, which never materialized.

marc with a c and Dondy like this.
  9. When it was first conceived, it was going to be a double album titled Hot Hitz and Kold Kutz, with one record being a greatest hits package and the other consisting of heretofore unreleased material. The “Hot Hitz” half morphed into Wings Greatest, while the Hot Hitz tracks continued to be worked on throughout the 80’s, with sone of them trickling out as b-sides, in movie soundtracks, and in the Archive series.

Ah, yes, the Wikipedia article that you linked has basically the same info, although it is incomplete regarding all the different incarnations of Cold Cuts. I guess I should have read it before posting the above!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    phillyal1 and MJConroy like this.
  10. Future Nostalgia

Future Nostalgia Host of Sending Signals podcast

The Blue Nile - High reissue (especially as I collected the first 3!)

PJayBe likes this.
  11. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

It is stunning that this great film still hasn't been released on DVD. I can't imagine what the hold up can be.
    I remember when I was a kid and Siskel and Ebert showed clips and reviewed the movie on their television show. I was still several years too young (for me) to 'get' Laurie Anderson - and still I was held captive and intrigued by the images I saw on that show.
    Home of the Brave was playing in cinemas, at least in major cities.
    Why no re-release?

Chris DeVoe and Beamish13 like this.
  12. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

Ac Dc - rock or bust concert film

13. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

14. soarer29

soarer29 Forum Resident

Whatever the Girl Talk album following All Day would have been.

bobloblaw and walrus like this.
  15. georgwithoutane

georgwithoutane Forum Resident

On the subject of Queen: in 1996, on the Let Me Live CD single, there was an announcement that their complete BBC sessions would be released imminently. It only took 20 years for that album to materialize.

faceinthecrowd and Ludger like this.
  16. Brewmeister

Brewmeister Forum Resident

Janet LaValley from Tribe was supposed to have a solo album that never materialized.

17. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

"Countryside Blvd" by Cheap Trick frontman Robin Zander instantly comes to mind. Aside from being released with some advance promo copies in circulation and as a download for less than a day, this album remains unreleased and was apparently shelved. This was intended to be his venture into modern country music, but it sounds much better. No songs about buffalos, rodeos, pickup trucks, dirt roads or big booties. This album actually of reminds me of Kasey Chambers meets the Traveling Wilburys.
    [​IMG]

18. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Definitely, it was Chicago that was filmed, was it not?

piepants likes this.
  19. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Whatever happened there? I mean, it seemed for awhile like that whole thing at run its course, but it's been long enough now where it'd be kind of a fun novelty again.

20. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

The Stone Roses hyping a third album for several years to sell tickets to pay for their divorces..

Lost In The Flood and Beamish13 like this.
  21. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Just today, Amazon cancelled my order for the new 2lp 45 rpm The Specials. Release date has been pulled.

:cry:

22. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

I saw an original release 35mm print with Anderson and one of the producers at L.A.’s Cinefamily a number of years back. Neither of them said that there were definitive plans to release it on DVD. I’ve asked the WB Archive people on social media, and I believe they said that they do not own it. Such a shame for an incredible film to be neglected and I shown in its full glory

Elliottmarx likes this.
  23. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

I’m impressed by how nothing from any of those sessions has slipped out.

Don’t most of the band members now have criminal records and/or have been accused of spousal abuse? Awful people

24. Eobard Thawne

Eobard Thawne Forum Resident

This was from Record Collector magazine December 2013 issue:

The Cold Cuts saga

There remains a significant unfinished project from the Wings era. As far back as 1973, McCartney began collating outtakes for a planned double album, Hot Hits And Cold Cuts. This idea stemmed from an abundance of material left over when the Red Rose Speedway album was chopped from a double album to a single set. Talking about the project in 1974, Macca commented, “We’re hoping to do it as a kind of budget album, but I’ve got to be careful as some people will think you’re not selling well if you put the price down. It’s got some nice tracks like Mama’s Little Girl. We don’t want to push it as a big thing. I don’t want people saying, ‘They made a great record called Band On The Run, now look at this.’”

The first real attempt to bring this idea to fruition occurred in 1978. McCartney offered EMI a tracklisting to work on that would have lined up various outtakes combined with some of Wings’ biggest hits on a double album. The material under consideration included Red Rose Speedway outtakes such the aforementioned Mama’s Little Girl, Nights Out, Tragedy (a cover of The Fleetwoods’ ballad form 1961), Didn’t We Meet Somewhere Before? (written for the film Heaven Can Wait), Same Time Next Year (another unused film theme), and Proud Mum and Proud Mum (Reprise), an instrumental from Nashville in 1974.

Ultimately, EMI opted for the single Wings’ Greatest package, issued in time for Christmas in 1978.

McCartney returned to the project in late 1980 under the abbreviated title of Cold Cuts, enlisting members of the final incarnation of Wings, Laurence Juber, Steve Holley and Denny Laine to overdub tracks – and going as far as commissioning US artist Saul Steinberg to design a cover. However, in the wake of John Lennon’s murder, he again pulled the plug, opting to commence sessions from which both the Tug Of War and Pipes Of Peace albums would develop.

Cold Cuts was back on the drawing board in 1987. During the hiatus following the Press To Play album, another tracklisting of the out-takes collection was formulated with producer Chris Thomas and engineer Bill Price. Once again nothing emerged and, for the next McCartney release, EMI took a safer route with the All The Best double set issued later that year.

Cold Cuts contender, Waterspout (an out-take from the 1978 London Town sessions), was announced as part of the tracklisting of All The Best but, subsequently, it was dropped.

In the mid-80s, bootlegs of Cold Cuts material began to appear – notably Cold Cuts (Club Sandwich SP-11) and Cold Cuts (Another Early Version) (Hot Hits SP-12). Inevitably the bootlegs became more comprehensive with the arrival of CD: a notable one was The Complete Cold Cuts Collection on the Secret Garden label.

Over the years, some of the songs have seeped out on official releases – Lunch Box/ Odd Sox turning up on the B-side of Coming Up; the Venus And Mars outtake My Carnival on the flip of Spies Like Us; Same Time Next Year and Mama’s Little Girl were twin reverses to the Put It There single; the McCartney/Laine composition Send Me The Heart turned up on Denny Laine’s 1980 solo album, Japanese Tears; Wild Prairie was the title track to Linda McCartney’s album issued in 1998; and A Love For You was on the 2012 extended Ram repackage. A snippet of Tragedy was officially released on an MPL promotional 7” single We Moved. (MPL Publishing Sampler MPL1).

With McCartney involved again in the reissuing of his 70s catalogue, rumours have emerged of an ambitious 4CD Cold Cuts out-takes collection being prepared for release, which is said to include a version of C Moon featuring the late Led Zeppelin drummer, John Bonham. Hopefully, this will finally become a reality and provide a longoverdue platform for the many excellent songs that fell by the wayside during the prolific Wings era.

Full link here before it disappears online! :

Macca’s cracker - Record Collector Magazine

25. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

Frank Sinatra, "In The Wee Small Hours" SACD.

"Meet The Beatles" vinyl reissue for Capitol's centennial.

"Leave My Kitten Alone" by The Beatles. (It was officially announced as an upcoming single in 1984 or 1985, then scrapped. The song finally surfaced as the stand-out track on "Anthology 1" in 1995).

"Sam Cooke's SAR Records Story" SACD with bonus tracks. (Officially announced, an SACD promo was sent out with one of the set's new bonus tracks and then it was all scrapped.)

supermd likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.