In Germany: What Artists or Releases Should I Get German Pressings Of?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by FloydVivino, Oct 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FloydVivino

FloydVivino Forum Resident Thread Starter

Going on a trip to Berlin (Kreutzberg/Shonenberg) and have a full afternoon for shopping. I've been advised for where to go for vinyl here (thanks @Neonbeam @uzn007 ).

Now, I'm in Germany, what should I be looking and watching out for in terms of German pressings, the ones probably more commonly found?

Setting some boundaries, I'm not into classical, which would be an obvious thing. I'm into 70s classical/prog rock - nothing obscure, Led Zep, Floyd and the like - and I'm into Bowie's trilogy own turf, of course! I'm into 50-to-70s jazz such as Miles, Evans, Coltrane, Monk and the like. Krautrock is now something I have in my collection (e.g., Neu!, Kraftwerk) but being in Germany is another obvious choice

AND.... any other stuff you kind souls think I should get my teeth (and ears) on - given the above! - that you guys think is highly likely I'll come across once in Berlin.

Also, what I should be careful about (fakes, etc!) Any rules of thumb on this respect.

Latly, I'm no collector and have no cash for rarities. Just wanting to know the pros of German pressings!

Many thanks
    Floyd

2. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Just a quick Bowie thing, the original German "Low" pressing is outstanding. The original "'Heroes'" is also interesting because of the German version of the title track - listet on the back as "Helden".

Fakes (aka Counterfeits) might also show up so keep an eye out, if necessary check an album you are about to buy on Discogs.

If you are remotely interested in Krautrock, originals of Klaus Schulze and Tangerine Dream albums are pretty common and not expensive. Not the super early stuff but from 1974 onwards. Looking at your preferences I'd recommend starting at Holly's Hit Records. The owner is usually a pretty honest and decent guy and has a nice selection of originals.

FloydVivino likes this.
  3. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Holy's Hit Records the correct name btw

4. FloydVivino

FloydVivino Forum Resident Thread Starter

All very good advice, thanks!

While we're here, widening the "Bowie circle" we get to Iggy Pop and Loud Reed, the former at least with "The Idiot" recorded at Hansa Studios, where the more poppy U2 recorded their "Achtung Baby" too. Whether this means the German pressings are ones to go to are a different matter, of course.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.