Echo In The Canyon - Have You Seen It?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tin Whisker, Jun 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

As far as i'm concerned this one is vastly superior:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    apesfan, RobRoyF, segue and 4 others like this.
  2. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

The doc piqued my curiosity about the film Model Shop as they kept inserting endless clips of this film. Is Model Shop any good? Doesn’t seem to be available on Netflix or Amazon Prime.

DavidD and Paperback Writer like this.

3. Thanks! Will watch tomorrow.

Hall Cat likes this.
  4. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

I have this. It concentrates on the album covers that Diltz/Burden worked on. Quite a few interesting, in-depth tales.

Paperback Writer likes this.
  5. Great pic of Stephen Stills and Peter Tork, in the Canyon.

• [​IMG]

Scott57, Scope J, DavidD and 4 others like this.
  6. Matt Starr

Matt Starr Forum Troglodyte

I enjoyed this a lot, thanks for posting.

DavidD, Hall Cat and Paperback Writer like this.
  7. Anyone else seen this since last post?

Would love to hear your comments, if so.

DavidD likes this.
  8. JamieLang

JamieLang Forum Resident

I saw it here with Jakob doing QA and playing after.

Enjoyable flick.

mlew and Paperback Writer like this.
  9. Tarantino’s On e Upon e Upon Time In Hollywood - would be a great pairing with this movie to see.

Sort of a reverse funny mirror version of Canyon with all the warts , quirks and horror associated with that time and a Tarantino film.

Great soundtrack, see here on this thread!

Soundtrack: Tarantino’s Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

~dave~~wave~ likes this.
  10. Doors’ Jim Morrison and Joni Mitchell - both missing from Canyon - Get a reference in the Tarantino film.

Morrison/Doors Fan is teased for listening to and digging Paul Revere and the Raiders, The Mitchell penned Circle Game Song is in soundtrack, as performed by Buffy St. Marie.

11. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

I tried watching Echo In The Canyon last night. What an uninspired, awful film. It would have been fascinating had it focused on the originators of that sound and their stories. The focus on wet blankets Jakob Dylan, Beck and friends was abysmal. What a missed opportunity.

sbsugar, peachyg72, zphage and 2 others like this.
  12. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

yes, this one really is great! It ran a few times in LA on local ABC affiliate.

Paperback Writer and Hall Cat like this.
  13. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Was very much looking forward to it, then learned that a movie focusing on the Laurel Canyon scene between 1965-67 never mentioned Love, the exact equivalent of a film about the 1960-63 Liverpool scene that completely ignores the Beatles. No interest whatsoever in this garbage anymore.

14. TaumpyTears

TaumpyTears Forum Resident

15. I am looking to do one on Beck where I confuse him purposely with Jeff Beck, blend their stories together nonsensically and mostly get shots of bewildered and confused respondents (as to which Beck we are talking about).

16. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Despite of its idiosyncracies and concpetual messiness, it's really entertaining. I have the sense it was shot in like 5 days (over a period of time) with people who became circumstantially available. It certainly doesnt seem well planned.

Though I think some of the artists are not very nice people, as artists they were remarakable and took advantage of the time and place. Enjoyed Jakob's singing more than I thought I would - the songs seem to mean a lot to him. In a sense he's doing what his dad is doing but for the next generation. At this point, he has a better range than his dad, though maybe less personality. Who would have guessed he would put across something like "Never My Love" so carefully and considered.

canadian73, TaumpyTears and maui jim like this.
  17. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Agree on entertaining but no way you get David, Jackson, Michelle and Roger in 5 days. Roger doesn’t even live in So Cal.

Paperback Writer and Fannymac like this.
  18. Maybe Bob made some calls “My kid is making a movie, can you help him out?”

Paperback Writer and maui jim like this.
  19. dixiedixie69

dixiedixie69 Forum Resident

Just watched it a few nights ago.. Enjoyed it a lot.
    Some of the covers were great too.

DavidD and TaumpyTears like this.
  20. trickness

trickness Gotta painful yellow headache

~dave~~wave~ likes this.
  21. DavidD

DavidD Forum Resident

After reading this thread, I watched The Legends of Laurel Canyon and then Echo in the Canyon back-to-back tonight.

Both were fantastic! Whatever shortcomings in either film as noted in prior comments above, these do not detract from either of the narratives. Together, these documentaries certainly flush out a more complete view, but each stands on its own very nicely, imo.

While Legends is perhaps more of a point-form accounting of events, Echo in the Canyon illustrates the dynamic feedback loop of the 1965-67 LA music scene in nearby Laurel Canyon. Expanding on this theme, the story reminds us how similar periods of wondrous creative magic have arisen before, and suggests this will occur again as our creative synergies echo down the canyon of time.

And so I think the title, Echo in the Canyon, is bang-on. :)

Thanks for starting the threat, OP. :edthumbs:

P.S. Perhaps Napoleon Hill's Master Mind reverberates ...lol

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  22. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

Watched this last night. I really liked it, but yes, it was lacking in several areas: i.e. No Joni, no Doors, not enough Zappa,etc. Obviously it wasnt a pure documentary of the Canyon, so I guess maybe that's why they didn't go into great detail, or maybe those artists didn't give rights, or whatever. Either way, i enjoyed it and really got into the spirit of it. I thought the performances were enjoyable enough too.

23. Christian Söderholm

Christian Söderholm Well-Known Member

Didn’t like it. Way too much J Dylan, who lacked any form of charm. Missed many artists/bands. And the new versions of the songs didn’t do anything for me, they didn’t add anything to the originals. WHAT did you who enjoyed this enjoy? I’m a big fan of the music of this era and this was a huge missed opportunity!

sbsugar likes this.
  24. ~dave~~wave~

~dave~~wave~ Forum Resident

The interviews, Stephen Stills and Clapton trading licks in different recording studios, and the vintage footage and photos.

Paperback Writer likes this.
  25. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

I liked the Michelle Phillips and CSN segments a lot. The NY bit was odd (fittingly so). The aerial shots of the Canyon were cool too. I was laughing when they showed the old CSN footage, with Croz on the hammock. I was just waiting for Stills to start screaming: "You're a f'n hypocrite!"

I do agree with some of the criticisms of the movie though: Too much Beatles/Beach Boys, not enough <insert LC resident>; Dylan was a bit of a dry host; seemed like an infomercial. However, it had just enough LC for me to enjoy it.

Is what it is I guess. If they couldn't get Joni, Doors or Turtles, how about Danny Hutton at least? Or Diltz? Again, maybe they all said no, not sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.