Abbey Road 50th contents, outtakes and sound quality thread .. only

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiotom, Aug 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kenneth Womack

Kenneth Womack Forum Resident

That is very kind of you, Rob. But I should note that I owe absolutely everything to Mark Lewisohn. He is one of the great positive influences in my life.

KW

DK Pete, Jet Age Eric, 905 and 12 others like this.
  2. jeighson1

jeighson1 Forum Resident

BD?

3. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

Blu-ray Disc.

4. RobGeurtsen

RobGeurtsen Forum Resident

As "an industrious editor and writer" with the best stylistic and literary qualities yourself and you being a professor in English your praise of Lewisohn matters even more. In the interview you elaborate on the role of Lewisohn as an influence in your life. Your praise of the literary qualities of Tune In is beyond any doubt. The Beatles Review of History: Kenneth Womack's dinner party with Vladimir Nabokov, Sylvia Plath and John Lennon.
    [​IMG]
    I agree with you and Erin Torkelson Weber, in her informative and perception changing 'The Beatles and The Historians', that the influence from Mark Lewisohn on the Beatles-field regarding research, publications etc, is immense, and every author today stands on the shoulder of all the work Lewisohn has done, his attitude and the methodologies (interviews, focus on documents, etc.) he applies.

BeatlesObsessive likes this.
  5. MCK57

MCK57 Forum Resident

There are TWO guitars on that track 8.Do you really believe Peter Cobbin can't tell the difference between one guitar and two guitars?Do you really believe Cobbin is just making this up as he goes along?The man was being filmed by CNN as he was saying this and it was going to be broadcasted on television to millions of people,many of whom were going to be Beatle fans and he was going to lie about this?
    The outtake that is out there and is from the basic track of Something being recorded at Abbey Road has a piano that is heard and we have TWO guitars on another track so if John is on track 8 and is playing guitar he can't be playing the piano on the basic track and there is a piano being played on that same basic track.Billy Preston on that piano!!
    I don't have the time right now but on the piano coda you mention there IS an organ at the very beginning.Also,listen to the take 37 that is out there and tell me what you hear.

6. nesfan1964

nesfan1964 Forum Resident

No it wasn't John - it was Jasper Carrott :)

jmxw and BeatlesObsessive like this.
  7. nesfan1964

nesfan1964 Forum Resident

I agree. In the UK we call that a pavement. I also think that as Abbey Road is in the UK, we should refrain from calling it a 'crosswalk' - it's a Zebra Crossing :)

zobalob, Haggischomper and The Band like this.
  8. Onder

Onder Senior Member

There is just ONE rhythm guitar on Something. The one played via Leslie speaker. There is an aural evidence, the track's isolation shows it clearly, no matter what Peter Cobbin says. It's a fact.
    George's rhythm guitar was recorded over two tracks originally. The signal was split. The clean sound went onto track 3 and the leslie'd sound went onto track 6. Maybe that's confused Peter Cobbin and he thought it's two guitarists on the backing track. It definitely confused Lewisohn as he claimed the same.
    But it's just one guitar, one player, one part. The clean guitar sound on master take 36 was later recorded over by another overdub.

905, baitzahn, zobalob and 3 others like this.
  9. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

I thought this thread was dead

10. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Mirroring the original non-release in 1969 of the songs recorded for the Get Back album, which didn’t see the light of day until the Let It Be film was ready for release in May 1970...

EDIT: Missed Post #4754...

Crimson Witch and Exotiki like this.
  11. Ern

Ern Senior Member

Yep.

On 11 July 1969, Billy overdubbed the organ part, but only on the main part of the song, not on the coda. Maybe it was already decided that the coda would not be be used.
    Still, on this day a reduction mix of the song, numbered take 37 (the bootleged version we all know with the coda) was made.
    The piano was combined with the lead guitar onto track one.
    Also of notice, by this time, the lead guitar is the same as the one on the released version (Recorded 5 May 1969 at Olympic Studios), so the story that George recorded it during the orchestral overdub on 15 August 1969 is false. If George recorded another guitar solo on that day, which is possible, it was never used!

Later on 16 July 1969, George re-recorded the vocal track with hamonies from Paul.
    New reduction mixes were made on this day, and the song lost the coda.

It's my understanding, that there was no piano overdub, as the new book implies.
    John's piano part was combined with the lead guitar on track one, but you can only hear it a bit on the 'I don't Know' part.

12. weaselriot

weaselriot Forum Resident

Pavement is a material, like vinyl. Calling a street, sidewalk, driveway or parking lot "a pavement" strikes me as akin to calling a record or LP "a vinyl". Or calling several records vinyls (which a few on this forum insist on doing even though they invariably get called out on it every time). We have streets, roads, highways, sidewalks, driveways and parking lots. They are all made of pavement. Unless they are unpaved of course. Now that's just here in Chicago, where we speak proper English, but IRREGARDLESS..:D

Paul H likes this.
  13. Marshall

Marshall Forum Resident

Hello all,

Sorry about the shameless plug again. I just published my web review/article on the Abbey Road Anniversary Edition box set. It has the 2019
    Here Comes The Sun and 1969 music videos within the article. I had a photo of my 1987 HMV Abbey Road CD box set at the end of the review/article, but
    ended up editing it and the mention of it out.

It's interesting about the footage of the BBC Abbey Road TV special from September 1969 now being ""discovered". It does look like the 1966 Beatles TOTP footage
    with a camera pointed at the TV screen again,but I'd love to proven wrong.

Marshall
    Link to the review/web article: The Beatles "Abbey Road Anniversary Edition" Super Deluxe Box Set Review

RobGeurtsen likes this.
  14. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Zebra crossing down under as well

nesfan1964 likes this.
  15. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

It's true that most people in the UK do refer to the side of the road on which pedestrians walk as "the pavement", but this is something of an oddity because legally and practically it is referred to - and always has been - as a footway and, as @weaselriot points out, pavement is a noun referring to the surface of the facility. I don't know how or why the term "pavement" came to be used colloquially, but it has.

Attempting to keep this minor conversational meander vaguely on topic, a zebra crossing is one of several forms of crossing, most named after animals: so we have zebra crossings, pelican crossings, puffin crossings, toucan crossings, Pegasus crossings and, even, tiger crossings. The Abbey Road crossing is definitely a zebra crossing and always has been, although it's layout has been changed over the years as the design regulations have changed (note the lack of belisha beacons on the album cover among other modifications).

gja586 likes this.
  16. More info here (with illustrations) :)
    5 different pedestrian crossings -WORLD DRIVING

17. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

18. RoryMcBride

RoryMcBride Forum Resident

Love that this thread has descended into "What do the British call the things next to the roads that they walk on with the feet?"

The answer is sidement.

Paul H, 905 and Gary7704 like this.
  19. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

Or like"Julia" or "Come Together" an address to one person that applies to two or more people.

AFOS likes this.
  20. BeatlesObsessive

I was listening on a cheap tab trying to listen to the differences and I'm surprised to say that the original LP sounded best in most cases!! Of course not hearing any bass. So it was like the old transistor days!

DRM likes this.
  21. The Refined Dog

The Refined Dog Active Member

I bought the 3 record (50th anniversary, Giles Martin, vinyl) set, and I am pretty disappointed. To me, the bass sounds bloated. The lowest end seems boosted, and the low-mids get washed out by the boosted low end. My favorite part of Abbey Road was McCartney's bass tones. To me, this release killed those bass tones. All the crisp, punchy, cutting bass is replaced with low end muddy bass. Compared to my original pressing, this entire release just sounds less clear and focused on the low end (for lack of fancier words). I much prefer the original pressing. Honestly, it's not even close, IMHO.

As far as the outtake stuff. Some of it is cool, some of it seems like filler. I have been compiling Beatles outtakes for decades, and I know there is stuff from these sessions that I would have included (over some of the things that were included). For instance, the bare orchestrations I would have skipped. I get that Giles Martin wants to show off his dad's brilliance - but, this is a Beatles record. A lot of quality outtakes featuring the actual Beatles were passed over for those orchestrations. All in all, I would have scrapped about half the outtake stuff, for different outtake stuff that I know is out there. But, that's subjective.

All in all, my recommendation would be to take the $$$ you'd spend on this box set, and put it towards the cost of a clean original. The outtake stuff isn't amazing quality, so in hindsight I would have been fine just getting digital copies of that extra stuff.

***NOTE: I felt the exact same way about the low end on the 2014 mono release of The White Album. Boosted low end muddied the entire album for me.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  22. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

Never heard of footway at anytime of my life. Pavement is rarely used. It's a footpath or just path

23. BeatlesObsessive

I'd assume Peter Jackson's timeline might be well beyond the anniversary. Of course, Michael Lindsay-Hogg was on record saying that the intended film rerelease was already completed years ago and I suppose a reissue of Let It Be wouldn't be too much trouble to complete by next summer!

24. BeatlesObsessive

Is there anything a subwoofer or equalizer can do to improve the bass on the releases you mentioned? Have you tried them on other systems?

Henrik Jutbring likes this.
  25. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Abbey Road cover in 2019

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.