New Springsteen Album "Western Stars" June 14*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FingerPickin'Triumph, Apr 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

Not a fan of either Patti or Susie, their onstage attitude/persona reminds me of the "Born on third base and think they hit a triple" quote. When I see Nils with the Band, I get the same sense, so maybe I'm not totally a misogynist.

Looking forward to seeing the film next week.

2. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I disagree with you about Nils.

Buy when it comes to Patti and Suzie, yeah. Neither adds much to the music in my opinion.
    But Bruce wants them there, and he’s The Boss.
    If it has anything to do with misogyny, then a large portion of Bruce’s considerable female fan base would be guilty of it as well.

Rockford & Roll likes this.
  3. stevelucille

stevelucille Forum Resident

I'm usually right there with ya. But in this case I think it really works. The story Springsteen tells before the song about sneaking around with Patti makes the song SEEM very personal. Their interaction during the song brings that home. I thought it was a highlight of the film.

ronbow and Rockford & Roll like this.
  4. John C Bradley Jr

John C Bradley Jr Forum Resident

No, you were not imagining that. My wife and I noticed it too. I think they set up a bar for staging some of the songs. There are several that feature a bar (beside Sleepy Joe's) and I think they used the bar in the barn for those shots. During the final credits, when the guy is sweeping up, Bruce and Patti are sitting at the same bar having a drink together.

5. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Just saw the film. Patti definitely adds something to the two songs she duets on. Will leave it at that.

6. Dellarigg

Dellarigg Forum Resident

Close to the end of the first listen of the live album. It's good, it's good ... but it's not coming close to displacing the album proper. The album sounds light and effortless, despite the heaviness of some of the material; this feels a bit more weighed down in the vocals. And I'm not usually a Patti naysayer, but I don't think she's adding much here.

The album is still my no.1 of the year, though. Can't see that changing.

7. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Vinyl delayed to December, but soundtrack on Spotify now. I plan to audition extensively before ordering, if at all.

Davidmk5 and Dellarigg like this.
  8. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

Nils? perhaps try google and read up.

9. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

Read what? Not trying to get into an argument, just asking.

My comment is about stage presence, attitude, not talent. And E Street, nothing else.

But full disclosure, not a fan, but most of my friends are.

And with my age and geography, multiple Teen Centers, local venues, etc., I saw Grin enough to make a decision. He’s a good guitarist, performer, just not for me.

So google what?

10. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Forum Addict

Ok so I compared the B&N version to the dark blue vinyl from his website. Well if I thought the B&N was a problematic pressing, it's a joy compared the noisy dark blue version. I'm really surprised in this day and age that pressing on colored vinyl is such an issue. I've had plenty of others that sound just fine. Maybe I just have a bum copy. Side 4 is noisy throughout on the dark blue. But it plays ok on the B&N. Go figure. Off to the RCM again... And off to amazon.uk for a black vinyl copy

Bill likes this.
  11. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

I saw Bruce play Jungleland at MetLife stadium in 2016. Soozie played the violin intro. Hearing that ALONE justified her presence on Bruce's stage. :agree:

12. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Bonus feature? Is that before or after the movie? How long is it?

13. Bill

Bill Senior Member

After. 15 minutes.

14. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

Did anyone watch the promo pieces for the WS movie that Bruce did for CBS This Morning? Did you see how gingerly and stiffly he walked and moved around? Not to get too far off the thread but he really seemed to move like someone in his late 70s/early 80s, and it occurred to me that perhaps all those years of marathon shows are going to be taking their toll on this man’s body in the coming years. Or maybe he just hurt his leg or something but...I wonder.

15. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

This extra material was only shown on Oct 19 and 23. It won’t be featured during the general run that started Oct. 25.

16. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

If he was 50 years old I’d see your point, but the guy did just turn 70 a month ago.

I saw Dylan the other night and he moved around like someone that was 84 or 85.

You’re likely correct on all accounts regarding Bruce.

The MEZ likes this.
  17. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

It actually looked like he needed help from Gayle King just to walk around. Maybe I should have said mid to late 80’s!

18. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

It would be nice if they could bring out a BluRay and vinyl package for a nice combined price, if only to recognise fans who bought the studio album, but I doubt it...

19. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

All the jumping from pianos, knee slides, crowd surfing and hanging upside down from his mic stand in the last 20 years might have taken it's toll...

No but really, that is sad news. I hope it's just temporary and that he gets better.

20. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Not true. Saw it yesterday.

kouzie likes this.
  21. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Listened to the live album a couple of times on Spotify and I must agree. Staging and pulling off a live performance was great, and the film was terrific, but the studio album nails it for me. No need for another version. May reconsider if the vinyl proves to be special.

Dellarigg likes this.
  22. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

It was still there yesterday when I saw the film.

23. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

The studio album is better, but the live version of the album is nice because it proves the studio album wasn’t a fluke—he pulls off the vocals with aplomb.
    He hasn’t sounded this good on a concert stage in years.
    And that-plus “Rhinestone Cowboy” —is easily worth about 11 bucks for the CD.

24. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I think the Blu-ray/ DVD will be out sooner than we think

RSteven, budwhite and Bill like this.
  25. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Christmas....

RSteven and Bill like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.