The last movie you saw in the theater

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Oct 31, 2018.

1. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

2. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...Well! Looks like the Fathom Events screening of HELLO, DOLLY! I saw recently may have been just in time then:eek:!

3. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Bohemian Rhapsody 01/01/2019
    Don't get out much!

4. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Growing up, I would have heard about many classic movies, but I could never view them. Once the major classics left the theaters, unless they were of lesser importance and made their way onto TV, they went into the studio's vaults.

Before VHS and cable movies, dollar cinemas popped up, showing all kinks of old movies and many times double features. When I was fifteen years old, I was fortunate to get to see Gone With the Wind at a local dollar cinema.

Once cable and physical media came out, these theaters largely went away.

But it was nice for theaters to be able to book showings of older movies from time to time.

It looks like we are again retreating back into the stone age, when movies will be back in vaults again, shame.

budwhite and Jazzmonkie like this.
  5. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I saw The Current War today and enjoyed it a lot. I did not know much about the story to bring electricity to the U.S., even though I know a lot about Edison’s inventions having visited his laboratories in West Orange, NJ just last year. I thought the story was fascinating. Benedict Cumberbatch was very good as Edison. Michael Shannon, whom I usually think is great in just about everything, did an okay job in what seemed to be an underwritten role as Westinghouse. I wish they had focussed a little more on Tesla as well.

Chris DeVoe and mtrot like this.
  6. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

7. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

The original Casablanca at least 5 years ago, maybe longer.

Jazzmonkie and SandAndGlass like this.
  8. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Edison’s winter home and laboratory is located on about 20-acres in Fort Myers, Florida. I visited there as a young lad back when I practically worshipped Edison.

In later years, as I learned more about Edison and more about George Westinghouse and Nicolas Tesla, I realized what a fraud and deceitful person he really was.

Edison did not really invent the incandescent light bulb, it was invented by a black inventor, Lewis Howard Latimer.

Light bulbs themselves were not new inventions at the time, they had carbon arc light bulbs around for years.

Edison's light bulb invention (and I use the term invention, loosely), had two fundamental problems. The first of which being that his invention did not work, in any sort of practical sense. His the Edison incandescent light bulb would burn out after only being lit for minutes.

The second problem was that Edison had no way of mass producing his filements, which would have been necessary for a commercially successful product, even if they did work, which they did not.

"Though Thomas Edison is recognized as the inventor of the light bulb, African-American inventor Lewis Latimer played an important role in its development. In 1881, Latimer patented a method for making carbon filaments, allowing light bulbs to burn for hours instead of minutes. Latimer's filaments could be mass replicated, thus allowing for viable commercial production.

Edison claimed that D.C. was the correct way to use electricity to light up a city, it wasn't. He claimed to invent the motion picture, he didn't.

Marconi was also a big fraud, having appropriated most of his designs for wireless communications from Tesla.

People can say what they will about Tesla, but he was indeed THE GENIUS.

Chris DeVoe, longdist01 and brownie61 like this.
  9. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Today I saw Last Christmas, which has not received good reviews. I went to see it because I love George Michael, Christmas, Henry Golding, Emma Thompson, and Michelle Yeoh. I thought it was okay, could have been better, until the totally unexpected twist came that made it all make sense and it totally warmed my heart!

I will admit that this may have chick flick appeal only. ;)

SandAndGlass and Chris DeVoe like this.
  10. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Saw Doctor Sleep today.

(See that thread for my thoughts.)

11. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

The Lighthouse. Great performances from Dafoe and Patinson.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  12. Doctor Sleep in theaters.

13. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Impressed me as a contemporary King Of Comedy meets Network (with dancing). A refreshingly apolitical and "well-executed" (LOL) film.

Scope J likes this.
  14. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Doctor Sleep. 7/10

15. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

Adams Family. Good voices, unique animation, and a well told story. Plenty of fun references for adults and my daughter enjoyed it immensely. She took her mom to it the next day.

16. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Doctor Sleep/ Parasite/ Terminator Dark Fate/ JoJo Rabbit.

Best was Parasite followed by JoJo.

17. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

[​IMG]
    the old '85 film​

18. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Yes. A couple weeks ago. It's excellent. I'd go and see it again. My wife and daughter both felt the same way, which isn't typical at all.

Scope J likes this.
  19. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

Just saw JoJo Rabbit.

Absolutely brilliant. Seriously, one of the best films I've ever seen.

20. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

If you want to see another example of how you were misled as a child, read up about Glenn Hammond Curtiss versus the Wright Brothers. They thought they had a patent on flight, sued Curtiss into bankruptcy several times, none of what they came up with is used in current planes, while most of Curtiss's inventions are still in use today.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  21. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

The Irishman
    Excellent. If I didn't know it was 210 minutes beforehand, I'd never have thought it was anything like that.
    It felt like two and a half hours, at most.

murphywmm likes this.
  22. Miss Information

Miss Information Active Member

Downton Abbey.

23. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Zombieland Double Tap, yesterday. :righton:

murphywmm likes this.
  24. murphywmm

murphywmm Senior Member

I saw Joker last night. Excellent and unsettling film. I couldn't take my eyes off the screen.

TheDailyBuzzherd likes this.
  25. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

"The Lighthouse". Went out of our way for that one.
    Then again, I HAD to see "The Witch's Dungeon" one
    town over. Good Halloween pairing, methinks.

"The Good Liar" looks interesting. Perfect for these times.

Chris DeVoe likes this.