Ethically purchasing used compact discs: ?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Cherrycherry, Oct 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

where does on come up with this stuff? ethical when buying something second hand? really?

2. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

I'd suggest you go back to Logic Class before you moved on and tackled Ethics.

melstapler, ted209, kronning and 2 others like this.
  3. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I feel no guilt buying a public domain release of a well over 50 year old album from a deceased artist at least as far as ethics go. I'm not at all bothered about paying the artists family. I only feel bad about the crap sources these records are sometimes taken from!

4. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

There would be a lot less brick and mortar stores if they outlawed selling used property. If it's a popular album, the artist just has to find a better way to make the album appeal in a new form. Many have done that with remixes, bonus tracks, deluxe editions, SUPER deluxe editions, repressing on vinyl, etc. If it's not that popular, either it's junk or it's rare and you probably will never see a new copy made. What bands are banking off their physical releases anyways? Most groups have always gotten a bad deal and made their money off touring. The industry caught on to that and got themselves involved. At any rate, I'm waiting on Son of Dave Dexter, Jr. to chime in.

Imagine70, melstapler and kronning like this.
  5. Uncle Miles

Uncle Miles Wafting in and out of Forum

I think that purchasing used product reduces waste.

It also takes used copies off the market, encourages purchases of new copies (if available).

6. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

I'm not interested in supporting a dead artist's "heirs."

I had to get a job long before my parents died, and neither of them left much of a material nature.

They did instill the value of work and self-reliance into me, though.

7. powerq

powerq Forum Resident

Of course not. However, many unethical things are done by those selling a used car.

D-rock, Grant and kronning like this.
  8. sjmin209

sjmin209 Forum Resident

9. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy

The artist has already been paid once. I wish I could be paid again for work I did years ago.

nick99nack, powerq, Grant and 8 others like this.
  10. Big Jack Brass

Big Jack Brass Two Separate Gorillas

I'll be dropping off a box of CDs and cassettes at a charity shop tomorrow. No doubt I'll have a rummage through their CD rack while I'm there and probably pick up an album or two. Is that ethical enough for you?

11. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

The worst thing is when a far lesser talented son overrides his Dad's hugely acclaimed and inventive work, rewriting history just for money, then having his work replace his fathers for availability new, as we have seen in the last two years. I'd rather not give people like that any money.

kronning likes this.
  12. Unless there is a specific contract describing the compensation chain over the life of an item, this falls into the area of agreed compensation.

The business model for producing, distributing, and selling music is somewhat clear if you look at it from a simplistic point of view.

The artist makes the song.
    Someone produces the song for distribution.
    The distribution chain gets the song to the dealers.
    The dealers offer the music to the customer.
    The customer purchases the song.

Part of the agreements of this process include agreed upon compensation to the original artist.
    Currently that agreement is a one time, up front, original sale, payment percentage.

Once the customer has legally purchased the song for the agreed price the customer owns that copy of that song.
    The customer does not own any other rights to any portion of that song.
    The customer also agrees to certain usage stipulations when agreeing to purchase the song in the first place.

For lack of a better explanation any use of that song, other than for personal, private use, is illegal and subject to specified legal agreements...that are onerous to iron out.

One such situation, that is not so difficultis the resale of said customer owned copy.
    You purchased the copy, you used the copy within the legal limitations, you can now sell that single copy one time.
    Just about any other deviation from that simple chain of events triggers some portion of illegal copyright laws.

One last thing. If you legally sell something you are free to send your version of just compensation, to said artist, if you feel it is the proper thing to do.

kronning likes this.
  13. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

I'm also VERY careful not to purchase those white label/promo vinyl records that say "Not For Sale" on
    the label. I know it 'hurts' some of my favourite artists like John Coltrane, Jimi Hendrix, Scott Walker,
    Gram Parsons etc....LOL.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  14. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Send those directly to @Slick Willie ! He will know how to properly dispose of them.

15. smith6552

smith6552 trust the process, not the internet

I tend to buy used cds because the first editions are generally uncompressed and unremastered.

16. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I’d say this ethics quandary you’re having is about 20 years too late. The horse is out of the barn.

BeatleJWOL and kronning like this.
  17. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

This interpretation of how intellectual property works fits neither the letter nor the spirit of the law

kronning likes this.
  18. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

:edthumbs:

kronning and jon9091 like this.
  19. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

I buy them, but mostly LP's, and give them a good home. Most of the cd's I buy, which isn't many, I wouldn't buy new. Thing about it, after being on these forums there are certain issues of certain cd's and LP's that I want so a new reissue that has been remastered might not cut it for me.

Man at C&A and kronning like this.
  20. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

Any used item purchase of any new commodity potentially takes away from someone. So, if you buy a used car, an auto manufacturer doesn’t get to make and sell you a new car. Same goes for a new house. Too bad, I say. The used market is a fact of life, so artists are going to have to deal with the reality of the real world, and not expect everyone buy new CDs as a means of charity.

Is it unethical for artists and manufacturers to rerelease the same material over and over and over in various iterations, special editions and remasters? It’s a 2 way street I guess.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  21. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

Yes, leave them for me...

kronning likes this.
  22. paustin0816

paustin0816 Forum Resident

musicians and their agents are always crying poverty...….anyone remember "Home Taping is Killing the Music Industry"?
    [​IMG]

23. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

What ethics? The artist was paid.

Grant, Imagine70, andrewskyDE and 5 others like this.
  24. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

Not only do I buy both used & new CDs, I also rip every CD to the computer & burn my own collections/compilations, be it the same artist or various artists. Once the CD is sold, it belongs to the buyer to do with as they wish.

When I collected LPs & 45s, the majority of them were used, & I made my own tapes from them to play in the car. Same difference.

nytechy and kronning like this.
  25. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

They were purchased, not rented, so I will do what I please with them.

D-rock, kronning, MPLRecords and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.