David Crosby (Cameron Crowe)- Croz's life, "Remember My Name" documentary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lemonade kid, Feb 8, 2019.

1. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Yes, I elsed this doc. Not a big Crosby fan but I really enjoyed it.

7solqs4iago, The MEZ, bzfgt and 2 others like this.
  2. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Billy James

3. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

I hope the fella is unemployed now. Easily replaceable, unless gossip and triviality is their thing. Not a word about the last 4 albums or the documentary, and would never have gotten there anyway.

steve722 likes this.
  4. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Yes but Crosby acts like a child anyway - he should have just stood up and walked out

5. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

I saw the film 3 weeks ago in a theater. A first gen Byrds fan so I’ve followed Crosby’s exploits since 1965. However I found his narcissism a wee bit off putting. And the multiple references about dying soon, I might be dead, I’ll be dead tomorrow - very tiring. I wanted to like this film more.

6. Jerquee

Jerquee Take this, brother, may it serve you well.

Yikes. What does that guy think he's contributing? Who wants to see the reaction of someone ignorant of the subject?

7. jumboshrimp

jumboshrimp Forum Resident

Saw the documentary in a multiplex in Kalamazoo , MI a couple nights back.
    Couldn't believe it was booked. One showing per night.
    Me and my bud were the
    only two there. Anyway, I thought it was totally worthy & I'm glad to have seen it on a big screen rather than my TV.

During the segment about Kent State there was a spare/acoustic version of Ohio playing before shifting to
    the full CSNY song . It was cool. I waited to see if the credits would help ID this version, but I didn't see it listed amongst the
    many others that scrolled by. Did I miss it or wasn't it there?

Anyway , does anyone know for certain the source of that "acoustic" Ohio which was used?

jeremylr likes this.
  8. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Now streaming on Amazon.

9. rjp

rjp Senior Member

neil young does it acoustically on his 'live at massey hall" album.

and CPR does it live on their 'live at the wiltern" album, but i'm not sure if that one acoustic.

10. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

Out for delivery today. Psyched for a showing in the 'rock room' tomorrow evening.

ianuaditis likes this.
  11. bonus

bonus Forum Resident

Haven't yet seen the film, but I'm guessing they used the version performed at the CSNY reunion that took place at Crosby & Nash's October, 1971 show at the Boston Music Hall. The only thing from that evening to have been released officially is the "Find The Cost of Freedom" that's on Stills's Carry On box.

And that's a shame because, by the looks (and sounds) of the footage, it was quite an evening. That "Ohio" turns up from time to time in various documentaries. I can't get it to embed, but the link just worked for me:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5ww3ot

12. rjp

rjp Senior Member

very nice

:tiphat:

13. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

STP was just a name for the DOB/DOC/DOM psychedelic amphetamines...much easier to play music on as they energize and don't have nearly the same mind fkc.

14. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

IDK, there's virtually no new information in the film. Same old stories. Talented as they are, people like Croz and Joni Mitchell who gave up their children and then turned around and pointed their finger at everybody else are, imo, a very rarefied species of hypocrites. And it being "The 60s" is no excuse. The whole Kent State episode seemed especially staged and unseemly. That was a lot more complicated than a Life Magazine article written a few days after ever conveyed.

Of course the Chris Hillman extended intervieww sort of contradicts my impression about Crosby. It's like Cameron Crowe didn't talk to the right people or ask the right questions but just wanted to play into the personna Crosby is selling these days. He might actually be a better person than that.

15. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

Hillman’s extended interview? Is that on the Blu-ray?

16. frummox

frummox Forum Resident

Saw the film in its first run in NYC at a small theater. Agree his dour self pitying prognosis got a bit wearing as a film. Director should have tried to steer this a bit. Last week went to see Steely Dan during their run at the Beacon. Good seat on the aisle. Look to my right and realize three feet away in the adjacent aisle seat I'm sitting next to Crosby, looking remarkably healthy may I add. He's lost a lot of weight. Considering the Type 2 Diabetes, the liver transplant and his previous consumption of drugs its amazing he's walking around at all. Donald Fagen called him on onstage midway through the concert and he played "Wooden Ships" with the Steely Dan band. He sounded alright as long as he didn't try to sing with power which caused him to strain. All things considered pretty good for an old guy with health problems. He's turned his life around, long may he prosper.

ARK, George P, zobalob and 7 others like this.
  17. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Really enjoyed it. Felt it was an honest look at him.

Like most recovering addicts that have left a lot of damage he has deep regrets and knows he is the cause of it. I don't find him "self pitying" at all, but rather in full realization that as much glory as he had in a long career, there is at least as much destruction that he is sorry for. It's truly sad, and yet luckily, he still has much to be thankful for and he really seems to be fully enjoying this part of his life.

Spencer R, phonograph and johnny 99 like this.
  18. frummox

frummox Forum Resident

Can't comment on the state of mind of a former addict, but rehashing his physical condition over and over in the film doesn't necessarily make good film making. As someone else on this thread commented he rather blithely chooses not accept much in the way of responsibility for the behaviour that caused his current condition. He's certainly not alone in this (it was the '60s blah, blah, blah). All things considered he has a lot to be thankful for and the director could have shaped the film a bit differently. At least he acknowledges how difficult he was to work with in the past. What's odd is that this appears to be a character trait that has not receded, considering his current disputes with Nash and Young. I've heard several interviews with him over the last couple of years, he's always been quite self aware and lucid about his shortcomings yet seemingly is unable to get beyond them. Write it off to being human.

jeremylr likes this.
  19. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

Does anyone know if it's worth spending the extra money on the blu-ray (instead of just getting the dvd) for this title? Because it's pretty pricy to start with, my interest in going blu would be either if there is a significant amount of music & the blu has 24 bit audio, or if the blu has extras. Any info would be appreciated.

If anyone knows of a reasonable price (lower than Amazon) I'd appreciate that also. I am region free on both blu & dvd.

20. moomoomoomoo

21. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

This DVD for some reason has a stunning picture and sound, much more so than any other DVD I own. I'm glad I didn't pay extra for the bluray.

As far as content, I really enjoyed this film. Croz laying it out there for all to see was it's strength for me. He's said he's afraid of death, most of us are. He lives everyday with the fact of all the years wasted; and now he's reminded of his mortality everyday. One thing for sure, we'll all be there someday, if we're lucky to have a long life.

The rides through the canyons and Sunset where it all began … no one has taken the time to show us that in such a first hand way.

I believe everything happens for a reason; and there is a reason Croz is still around (if just to be with Jan would be enough) … and hopefully around much much longer. Thanks for the music … and the film.

ARK, johnny 99, jeremylr and 3 others like this.
  22. moomoomoomoo

thanx! Mine should be here today.

23. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

24. moomoomoomoo

While I'm happy with the dvd, I have read that Sony "MOD" blu-ray's, like Warner are not burned (so why do they all them mods?)

25. somnar

somnar Senior Member

Just watched this for the first time last night. I'm peripherally a fan of his music - there are CSN and CSN&Y songs that I love and I recently got hipped to his first solo record and first Nash/Crosby record, both of which I'm loving - but have always been aware of him in the press. As a film, I loved it. As someone else pointed out earlier in this thread, it seems like every music doc these days is filled with people (people who have the most tenuous connection to the artist) telling us how XXX is "a genius," "brilliant," "decades ahead of their time," etc. And that gets old very fast, especially when it's somebody we've been hearing that kind of stuff about for the past 40 years (ie, Brian Wilson). I also thought the filmmaker was smart to pick his points and don't think the film was weaker for the stuff he didn't include (although I am curious about Crosby's brother and father).

That said - and I'm not sure this is a criticism of the film - I was fascinated by the gulf between the Crosby we see interviewed vs. the Crosby none of his closest collaborators want to have anything to do with. After watching the film, my first thought was "hey, this guy doesn't seem so bad - he's very upfront and honest about his behavior" and thought about what a shame it is that these old friends won't talk to him. I mean, he seems really sad about it. But, in thinking about it a few hours later, two things occurred to me. The first is just a little thing, about then Crowe asks, after Crosby has voiced regret for what he said about Neil Young and Daryl Hannah, why he doesn't just show up at Young's door and apologize, to which Crosby replies "I don't even know where he lives man." Which, coming from a guy who is saying that he wants to make everything right, seems like BS. But the second thing, which is the much larger issue for me, is that it's one thing to see an articulate, soft-sounding, seemingly contrite old man talking about how difficult he can be. It's actually very winning in a way, right? He's telling the world about his bad behavior, saying look, I know I'm an *******, but I'm talking about it. But I imagine being in a room with someone who's behaving the way he (and others) says he's behaved - whether in 1966 or 1986 or yesterday - is about the furthest thing (from the charming talking head we see in the film) imaginable. In other words: yes, I enjoyed spending an hour and a half with the David Crosby in the film, but my guess is that it's mostly disingenuous. That he's not as interested in apologizing to Neil Young as he is in tweeting that he wants to reform CSN&Y. That this is all about winning the public over (whether he knows it or not).

All that said, I was very happy to see it and am going to keep delving into his catalog (the new stuff sounded intriguing to me and I'm hugely impressed at his output of the last few years).

phonograph, jeremylr and bonus like this.