"Who" (2019) - New Who Album Coming 06-Dec-19*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RayS, Sep 14, 2019.

1. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Comparison is normal, it's a frame of reference. Not to discount what you said either. Because everything you said is probably true. But as changed & different as the 2019 WHO sound may be, it still has footprints & styles of earlier WHO works, it is the same voice, writer & guitarist after all. Making a deliberate attempt to make a WHO album, not something that happens often.

Detroit Music Fan and Shoeshine like this.
  2. johnny moondog 909

*Speculating*** about the 3 bonus tracks....it seemed at first when the 3 song titles were revealed, I thought..."Well it's just 3 recent songs from the Feb-March sessions. That were cut for album brevity, or because either Universal-Polydor, or Townshend-Daltrey, felt they were less commercial or sounded less homogenous to the standard 11 cuts..."..

As opposed to the 3 bonus tracks being less finished or complete, or quick throwaways of low quality..& since Richard Evans comment about Ringo playing uncredited on 3 tracks..& there just happen to be 3 bonus tracks...I'm wondering if Ringo's connection is to those 3 tracks. ? Really we aren't even certain if Richard Evans was being serious or not.

The other bonus track , SAND, exclusive to the vinyl set. I'm wondering why on earth include a 1965-66 home demo, on an album of otherwise all new, state of the art recordings ? I've speculated whether Sand has some modern overdubs, or if Sand was re-recorded with new lyrics, & its one of the other 14 songs, by another name. Also i've wondered if a hidden bonus track(s) are possible.

Our man inside WHO World is restricted for now, but maybe he can speak to a little of this, if only to shoot down 1 or 2 possibilities.

3. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

It might force a Who collector to buy both the triple album set and the deluxe set in order to get all the recordings.

dee and johnny moondog 909 like this.
  4. Shoeshine

Shoeshine Senior Member

Totally agree, and I'm sure I'll do it as much as anyone else. I'm so hopeful this will be genuinely a bit special, a late career Who that is for now, not an echo of the past.

5. jethrowup

jethrowup Forum Resident

Pete singing "Blackbird":

6. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

Absolutely, unbelievably stunning. That performance floored me. Just gorgeous. I had no idea how much control Pete still had of his voice. His pitch and enunciation was extraordinary. Wow. Just wow.
    Thanks for sharing.

7. johnny moondog 909

I'm bored yet anxious, waiting for more news or songs, from the upcoming new WHO.

Thanks for the clip of PT singing Blackbird. He sounds good, sings awfully deep now, but so what.

jethrowup and Elliottmarx like this.
  8. jethrowup

jethrowup Forum Resident

Kind of strange seeing him on stage without an instrument though!

J_D__ and johnny moondog 909 like this.
  9. Shoeshine

Shoeshine Senior Member

Nothing up there to protect him except a small microphone. ;)

mw1917, dee, Matze S. and 2 others like this.
  10. johnny moondog 909

Nov 1st now, so album in about 7 weeks ? I'd guess perhaps in 5-6 weeks we may get broadcast specials on radio & internet, where they may play a few cuts. Besides that however, qour insider thinks we'll get a 3rd song-preview this month. So i'm hoping 3 weeks or less ! Maybe sooner still ! Fingers crossed......

Hypothetically or probably, if the song isin't Hero Ground Zero, we'll have 3 out of the 11 main studio cuts, & we have a fairly good live representation of Hero Ground Zero already. Of course the studio version of Hero will be much different, but still we have a decent idea...Furthermore we heard pretty good representations of "DETOUR" on several of the "New WHO album" Vlogs this past March...we heard I'd say at least 2 minutes maybe 2.30 of the backing with Petes scratch vocal & the template or actual backing vocals...as well as percussion tracks & bass harmonica.....the big review.. ( London Times ? ) or perhaps either Mojo or the other Magazine...compared it....'I think'...to Magic Bus & something else....I myser lf compared it to part of the 65 album, "The R&B grooves...& I think I said Eminence Front...because of some of the keyboards on the rough.....but the Magic Bus comparison was pretty good.....driving riff & R&B groove, with important lead & answer vocals....

Also awhile back....someone posted Townshend's solo studio demo for a 6th song Beads On A String....I was told that the WHO record is "Substantially" different from the demo...so maybe Beads String is hard to get from the demo....

But right now we know 4 of the 11 soon to be 5, I think that's enough to tell us all 4 are strong tunes, & 3 of them are commercial as heck....& the 4th one Ball & Chain is quite interesting, if slightly less commercial....Common sense tells me, at worst....at the very worst....there are at least 5-6 really strong cuts...and probably more l8ke 10-12...

Just spinning around yakking, waiting for more news or the next tune..30-45 sec samples of at leadt the 11 songs would be nice.

I'm 99.7% ready to buy the deluxe 14 track version, with just slight hesitation, because they won't allow anyone to hear or talk or write about them. The bonus tracks..that is.

11. Shoeshine

Shoeshine Senior Member

Of the two, that one has really grown on me. ATMMF is a quick hit on the soul - the first time you hear it you go "oh yes". But this one for me at least has been a grower. And I seriously love the way it's acoustic to begin and then you hear that growl of the electric guitar come in, it makes me smile every single time I hear it.

12. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

I've been laying off of them until I get the album now; will be great to have them as familiar friends when the first play happens.

13. jethrowup

jethrowup Forum Resident

Do any of you remember Pete mentioning a song earlier this year about the Syrian refugee crisis? "Twice Refugees"? I wonder whatever happened to that song. Maybe it'll be on The Age of Anxiety? He seemed to be suggesting that it was a Who song at the time, if I recall correctly.

14. jethrowup

jethrowup Forum Resident

It certainly sounds like The Who, that's for sure.

15. jethrowup

jethrowup Forum Resident

Yes! "Twice Refugees" was mentioned here: Pete Townshend Talks New The Who Album & Avoiding Certain Songs In Their Catalog

So either they renamed it, it's an outtake, or it'll be on Pete's solo album.

I feel that "Street Song" is probably the homeless song and "She Rocked My World" is probably "the glorious girl from the past" song, which leaves "I Don't Wanna Get Wise" and "Rockin' In Rage" as possible contenders for "Twice Refugees."

16. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

The stage attire looks familiar-;)

[​IMG]
    ;
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
  17. johnny moondog 909

If they postpone the release again i'll probably have another heart attack.

Enough already, gimme gimme, gimme now please...

The upcoming song will help, feeds the hungry for a week or two until the belly starts gurgling....anybody know how much longer till we get a song ?

This week ??????

18. Geof

Geof Forum Resident

I didn't read through 41 pages of comments, but in case it hasn't been noted, Target exclusively has the US Deluxe version with the three bonus tracks, but in the past 24 hours since I looked Friday morning, their website pre-orders have sold out. It now says to check back on the day of release...

19. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

There will be plenty, they just want to get you into their store.

reb, slipkid, dee and 1 other person like this.
  20. johnny moondog 909

OH NO !!! NOT THIS !

21. So far after hearing the single, this is exciting to hear new good music from The Who, even if two. I do agree that the name could be better solely for searching like Free, The Band, etc. Hard to find in a search.

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  22. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

At one point Pete seems to morph into Roger’s style and voice. 1:26 point.

23. johnny moondog 909

I mentioned the same internet search issue "WHO" here, & on the Official WHO site.....they get kinda bent over there, if you say anything critical about anything. 20 attack dog posters immediately Reply that "WHO" is the most incredible album title, ever devised by anyone in history...and that a search engine issue is just an absurd fantasy...hmmm

Moving along, or Moving On ( tee hee ) a bird told me here, we'd get a 3rd new song this month !!@

PLEASE STOP BY & TELL US MORE, PLEASE !!!

Detroit Music Fan likes this.
  24. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Ugh. That makes it harder for me though. The Target near me usually has nothing CD-wise when they have these exclusives and I have to order it on-line then have it shipped or pick it up. Hopefully they will have more come the release time then.

The MEZ and Rockford & Roll like this.
  25. Shoeshine

Shoeshine Senior Member

I remember reading about the reboot of Magnum PI and them talking about the way they'd promote it without the full stops precisely because internet searches are important. I completely agree with you, and I'm genuinely surprised the record company signed off on the title, and that Townshend agreed to it. It's about the worst title for searching they could possibly have picked.