Pink Floyd DSOTM Immersion Blu Ray Failure

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tornado Red, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

So is the issue with the Dark Side blus only the ones manufactured in Germany?

2. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

It would seem so, and to be an issue with Blu-rays pressed by Optimal Media in general (at least, those for Pink Floyd Records).

Hattipper likes this.
  3. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

The ones manufactured in Mexico do not have any of the Made in the EU reported issues

JediJoker likes this.
  4. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

I've looked at all my Early Years discs and didn't notice anything (can't play blu-rays at the moment, unfortunately).

5. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Late to the party here, but I just tested out my DSOTM Immersion BR and everything seems fine... it loaded up normally and is now playing the quad mix, seemingly without issue.

For the record, I'm in Canada and am using a Sony BR player.

Simon A likes this.
  6. JediJoker

Was your Blu-ray pressed by Optimal? If not, you probably have nothing to worry about.

Hattipper, Bill Mac and Rocker like this.
  7. Smash

Smash Forum Resident

Jumping in from the Early Years thread. Only now finding out that I have two issues on my hands, possibly more if my other Immersions are dead too. I'm seriously pissed.

Where was I to hear about this replacement program? Was it only posted here? I was 14 when I got this box, I wasn't exactly running in niche audiophile circles back then. I was lucky enough to hear about the Early Years program early enough, but what about everyone else?

NunoBento likes this.
  8. albelTW

albelTW Go beyond

I tried mailing aeCreate again about the replacement programme and the automated reply I got changed from this old one:
    to this slightly new one:
    I don't really know if this is enough to hope for a reopening of the programme or not, but I guess I'm on the pessimistic side.

ti-triodes, JediJoker and NunoBento like this.
  9. I gave up on ever getting a replacement Blu-ray disc, so I threw the entire DSOTM boxset (with the exception of the Early mix/Household Objects disc) in the trash a couple of weeks ago.

10. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

The Abbey Road Blu-ray problems have been answered by Universal in the U.K. they’re sending out replacements immediately.

ti-triodes and Hattipper like this.
  11. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Care to give us an email address so we can contact them?

12. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Now there's issues with the Abbey Road Blu-ray. Unreal! Where's the quality control on the Blu-rays in these high priced box sets?

octopus92 likes this.
  13. JediJoker

Are you suffering from a head injury? What a waste!

Beyond Salvation, Bill Mac and Deek57 like this.
  14. I have multiple copies of DSTM and the Blu-ray was the only disc I listened to in the box set. Without it the remainder of the set was superfluous to my needs. If it makes you feel better I also kept the marbles. :winkgrin:

15. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I think he was truly worried that you'd lost your marbles...

I myself have kept the scarf. :D

16. albelTW

albelTW Go beyond

I contacted WMG's UK customer service to try and get a replacement but they confirmed the replacing programme ended on January 31st 2019 and also they have no further information on the issue.
    I knew it wasn't gonna work, but it was worth a try anyway.

17. stillrockin

stillrockin Forum Resident

I still can't get the quad mix to play on my replacement blu ray disc via hdmi. My cabinet weighs a ton and is a pain to shift but if/when I ever move it out again I will try a coax cable and see if that grabs the quad which I know to be a great sounding version.

18. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

[email protected]

Janice was the wonderful person who handled this.

19. robegian

robegian Well-Known Member

I have that faulty blu-ray disc too. Could you PM me the e-mail address where to report and to ask for a replacement? Thanks in advance :)

20. albelTW

albelTW Go beyond

Searching online I found some information about the issue. I haven't researched the topic in details but it seems the following is the gist of it.
    The defective bluray discs should be BD50 produced in Germany between 2009 and 2010 and the problem was a defective stock of resin applied between the two layers of the BD50. Supposedly the disc's instability comes 5 to 7 years after the date of production.
    Here are a couple of forums where this is discussed:
    Early Blu-rays that may have playback issues (Criterion, Well Go USA, etc.) - Blu-ray Forum
    [BD] Lista Blu-Ray che a distanza di tempo potrebbero avere problemi di funzionamento - Pagina 21
    The second one is an italian forum.
    So it isn't an issue confined only to DSOTM blurays.
    In particular, my DSOTM bluray has the following IFPI code (that indicates the production plant): 1GF0 which is the same of some defective Vampire Circus defective BDs.

In the meantime, I'm still trying to obtain a replacement disc with no positive results.
    I'm trying to find a used version for sale in flea markets around my place, so that luckily I could try the disc before buying it.
    My last option would be to buy a USA version of the box set (and possibly the WYWH one, if it doesn't have the clicks in it) in the future or the bootleg version on ebay (which is relatively cheap, though I don't like this option).

Keyser Soze, Frans T, mc9 and 5 others like this.
  21. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

I have an Optimal Media pressed "Zappa, Roxy the movie" BD that no longer plays. I've not made a complaint as it's not my favourite FZ period, I can live without it.

22. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Thank you for posting. Interesting to know.

albelTW likes this.
  23. albelTW

albelTW Go beyond

I can see where you come from. It's not like I can't live without it or it's in mind 24/7 but DSOTM is my favourite record and the bluray was the disc I play (well, played) the most from the box set because of the hi-res audio in it.
    Besides, at the time, I pre-ordered the box and paid the full price for it and it makes me really pissed that after some years a disc in it stops working out of the blue because it was improperly manufactured.

TaumpyTears and Deek57 like this.
  24. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

I too pre-ordered TDSOTM Immersion box, when I first read about BD's failing I checked mine just in case. I'd not played it for a few months, I was not happy, mine had failed also, so I ordered another box, that BD failed too after a few plays. Now unlike the FZ disc I cared so as soon as the replacement programme was announced I was right on it and sent the two useless discs away for replacements, when they arrived I backed one up to a BD-R and kept the other one still sealed in it's mailer.

25. albelTW

albelTW Go beyond

My bad luck was that I didn't know anything about the defective discs and the replacement programme. My disc played normally at the beginning of the year, than I could not play it until late May. At that time the replacement programme was over and then closed.
    Neither I thought of backing up my disc. That was careless of me. Lesson learnt now.

Deek57 and NunoBento like this.