Ethically purchasing used compact discs: ?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Cherrycherry, Oct 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy

That is my understanding, but I wonder how those involved work out a fair payment for the right to lend something over several years?

2. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Ultimately collectors, but critics can have a huge impact. And other artists and musicians themselves.

3. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Moderator note.

Multiple posts deleted!

Please do not bring politics to this forum!

I'll also add a note for the attention of those who accuse us of having a political bias here.....

We get accused of being to left wing and to right wing, so we must be doing something right in our moderation of politics. Members need to remember we can only delete content as fast we can see it or as quick as you guys report it, so if there are any visible political posts it means we are unaware of them and we need you to report them. We do not tolerate politics of any form here, left or right!

4. Paul Rymer

Paul Rymer Forum Resident

Not my understanding (have 2 friends who are librarians here in the UK). The big thing for the publishers and writers is that the popular titles will be bought in bulk by local authorities, budgets allowing, but there is also a focus on niche or educational titles as they all have a responsibility to support education. However a lot of libraries are now run by local groups so depend a lot on donations, meaning less for the publishers. My local library is in the control of a small charity and has set up a record and book shop to raise money to pay for new books. So it is participating in so-called unethical practices as well as buying new things!

Leaf and Groove

5. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Indeed.

6. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Don't need to, the rights of the intellectual property holder and the physical property holder can be balanced in other ways

7. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Public library lending here in the UK appears somewhat complicated when it comes to royalty payments. That's especially true of ebook.

FWIW, I once borrowed Miles Davis The Complete On the Corner Sessions from my local library (a somewhat non affordable title new or used).

8. PineBark

PineBark formerly known as BackScratcher

But if that was applied to music, people would be reselling the registration codes. Under current copyright law (at least in the USA), that would be legal (and also ethical), as long as the prior owner relinquishes all their rights to it.

9. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate

I bought a used car one time from a guy, poor GM lost a sale as the seller is the one that benefitted and the union workers didn’t get a dime for their engineering and labor.

melstapler likes this.
  10. The construction of any modern house involves tools and materials that are covered by a plethora of copyrights and patents. Same goes with a CD or a toaster.

ricks likes this.
  11. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

(A) It is a crime for someone to rip a CD and then sell the CD while keeping the digital copy.

(B) If one puchases a used CD knowing that the seller did (A), then one is knowingly purchasing infringing good which is at least an ethical issue - I am unsure if it legally makes one an accessory to (A).

If one purchases a used CD without good reason to be pretty sure that (A) did not occur (e.g., knowing the original purchaser well enough tp take his word for it; or CD being in original sealed packaging), then given how common (A) is, one at least faces the ethical issue that it is pretty likely one's behavior contributes to (A).

The issue is less relevant with LPs or Books because copying these and reselling them is currently much less prevalent than it is with CDs.

It is also less of an issue with CDs than it used be, as less sellers bother ripping-before-selling now that lots of folks are selling CDs based on the belief that "I can always hear it on demand on Spotify or YT so I can free myself from storing all this stuff and get some cash if I sell them".

12. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I was thinking I had heard of that much earlier in the thread where libraries were mentioned.

13. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Leaving aside matters of law, which vary according to territory.

The onus is really on the seller. Ethically it is fine to sell a CD provided you don't keep a copy of the contents. The CD gives you a license to enjoy the music and when you sell it you transfer the license to the purchaser.

Tim

14. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

So ‘ethically’ you could remove all the forum ads, 99,3% of the album sales on Ebay, 100% of the Discogs-sales, speculations about the net worth of the ‘Butcher Cover’ are strictly theoretical, because you’d have to pay provisional additional fees to the Beatles (or their estates). I think it’s a nonsensical debate...

15. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Regarding libraries, let's not forget that there are people in dire economical conditions, and they wouldn't be able to afford books or music anyway, so it's a good thing if they can enjoy culture for free.

16. I think it's unethical not to sell or give away a CD you don't want unless no one will take it off your hands. The planet is choking on plastic waste.

17. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Should I pay the car company when I buy a used car?
    Sounds like someone is blinded by empathy for the artists.

Grant likes this.
  18. humanracer

humanracer Forum Resident

I have to ask
    Has any record company or body actually complained about the sale of used CDs?
    This is a non issue or debate.

19. mrwolk

mrwolk One and a half ears...no waiting!

I have and will continue to buy used CDs and books....most of what i acquire is OOP (out of print)...better in my possession than in a landfill.

Grant and melstapler like this.
  20. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Now If I were to resell those CD-R's to the public, like AMAZON does......

21. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Oh, yes, sure, for years. Here's a story from 1992: Used CD Sales Put Industry in a Spin : Pop music: Record company executives oppose the practice because they fear that it will reduce the sale of new product. Garth Brooks 25 years ago famously complained about used record and CD sales: GARTH BROOKS HASN'T THROWN IN THE HAT ON USED CD CONTROVERSY

Imagine70 and starduster like this.
  22. mesfen

mesfen Senior Member

Ethicality!! Damn spellchecker will eventually doom me

ARK likes this.
  23. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

The ever-divisive Garth Brooks created controversy during the 1990s when he began bullying independent music retailers who stocked both new and used CDs. Brooks claimed that because no royalties are paid on the sale of used CDs, writers, labels, publishers and artists were being cheated. Not sure if Garth Brooks assumed that existing laws could be repealed, but I suspect it was more of a calculated publicity stunt where he could use the so-called "cause" to paint himself as the "champion of the recording artists and the music industry." Garth failed to realize that he had no more rights to secondary sales than authors did on sales of used books. Ultimately, Garth came to his senses and stopped bullying the independent music retailers, many of whom stocked both new and used CDs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Garth Brooks CD bar-b-q parties for retail freedom

24. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

These threads pop up from time to time and always get messy.

Essentially, if we're not "allowed" to buy used CDs or records, then we shouldn't be allowed to buy anything used.

Not a logical argument...

Grant and JamieC like this.
  25. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

This is what clued me in to Garth being a greedy ass. My only question at the time, knowing that Garth was an average guy in college, was if he EVER owned a used LP. Cannot think of ONE college student I knew who only had newly purchased LPs.
    My Spike Jones(among many) albums were bought for a quarter at a church rummage sale.
    Considering that recordings have been resold and traded since the beginning this is complete BS.
    Used copies of MY album have shown up on Amazon and Ebay. I am simply happy someone wanted it. The physical product is kissed goodbye after I get paid for it.
    Anyone want a copy? I still have hundreds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.