David Bowie CONVERSATION PIECE

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Sep 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nick jones

nick jones Forum Resident

the Pussycat recorded by Bowie is different

croquetlawns and gomen ne like this.
  2. gomen ne

gomen ne -

Good find. Those Omega Auctions are bringing some clarity. I got my info from Nick Pegg's book, who must be mistaken unless Bowie had two Pussycats.
    "8th March 1967 - David recorded a cover version of 'Pu55y Cat' an easy-listening novelty later recorded by Jess Conrad and released as the B-side of his 1970 single 'Crystal Ball Dream'."
    But Conrad had also released it (written by Charles Blackwell) in 1964.

Chris O'Leary has a bit about it:
    Brief Thoughts on Three Deram Outtakes

Even the recent bootleg Occasional Dreaming has Conrad's Pu55y Cat.

[​IMG][​IMG]

It just shows ya!

Purple Jim and nick jones like this.
  3. Aaa3

Aaa3 Active Member

Great thanks! With these (and first ever recording 'I Never Dreamed') up for auction does this mean nobody will ever hear them?

4. nick jones

nick jones Forum Resident

5. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

That’s cool- I can easily imagine teenage Bowie’s vocals on that. I personally love the pre-debut Lp stuff.

6. Aaa3

Aaa3 Active Member

Personally, I love the 60s Bowie stuff and look forward to hearing anything unreleased(later or 60s) I think with Bowie we are so lucky because unlike a lot of artists he recorded an amazing amount of material because he was so prolific, meaning there's loads in the vault still to discover. Three cheers for that!!!

skisdlimit, gomen ne and Ludger like this.
  7. Cat People

Cat People Forum Resident

I wouldn't pay £86 for this, as much as I would like it for my vast collection.

Only circumstances I would pay out for it would be in a 3 for 2 deal via superdeluxeedition or if it was drastically put on offer after the initial rush of purchases occurred. This is despite being a massive fan of the Dame's work.

8. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I have this on pre-order, but this week I got Tull's Stormwatch set for less than half what they want for the Bowie, which kind of puts it into perspective. I'm going to leave it on pre-order, but I fully expect this to be discounted not too far down the line.

Runicen likes this.
  9. Aaa3

Aaa3 Active Member

Down to 79.99 on including and 75.99 on Amazon. Defo going for this one!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
    MGW likes this.
  10. Aaa3

Aaa3 Active Member

Sorry 72.75 on Amazon

gomen ne and MGW like this.
  11. Aaa3

Aaa3 Active Member

I don't know what I am looking forward to more, the book( I always get the Bowie books when they're out anyhow) or the Cds with 'Reverend Raymond Brown' and the other strange oddities! Is there ANY info AT ALL on that particular song? Lyrics, tune, background or whatever? If anyone knows that would be fantastic.

gomen ne likes this.
  12. MrBitey

MrBitey Forum Resident

I’ve been looking for a download option I can pre-order. Don’t need all the fancy packaging, books etc. Just the music.

13. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

This means you don't have the most valuable Bowie book of them all, Nicholas Pegg's The Complete David Bowie (Seventh Edition).
    QUOTE: The full title of this discarded 1968 composition, at one time pencilled in for inclusion on David's mooted second album for Deram, is 'The Reverend Raymond Brown (Attends The Garden Fete on Thatchwick Green)'. As the titular similarity with The Kinks' 1968 album The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society suggests, David was tapping into the voguish whimsy of the British psychedelia scene: the polished demo reveals a wistful, mid-tempo number with a distinct flavour of Ray Davies and a generous side-helping of 'Eleanor Rigby', as Bowie wanders through a bucolic village fete, hopping from character to colourful character: "Mrs MacGoony throws her darning aside, and puts on a coat that smells of mothballs and age", while "The magistrate's serving cups of tea from a stall" and "Mrs Grouse makes a fortune reading teacups and palms, while naughty Fitzwilliam helps to lighten the till". As ever in a Bowie lyric, there are undercurrents: "Women's Guild compare their hats and chatter hard about this and that / And isn't it a shame that little Sally's in the family way?" (note that is little Sally's second appearance in a Bowie lyric, having previously co-starred in 'Uncle Arthur'). Through his flock walks the Reverend Raymond Brown, who is "noting down sin" but isn't immune himself: when the village beauty approaches, "Reverend Raymond Brown turns his red face to the ground / And he mumbles out a prayer 'cause he fancies her like mad." Derivative it may be, but it's a sweet song, its title character a buttoned-down ancestor of the less benign priests who would continue to appear in Bowie's work from 'Five Years' to 'The Next Day' and all points in between.

gomen ne likes this.
  14. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Why would you pre-order a download option? :shrug:

15. MrBitey

MrBitey Forum Resident

I like to get the get a nice little email notification as soon as it 'drops' so I can download and listen straight away! I tend to buy download albums via iTunes. Yes I know it's not lossless but my ageing ears really can't tell the difference.
    Also, as I am tight for money I would like to know what the price difference between a download vs the physical version is so I can decide which one to pre-order.

NightGoatToCairo likes this.
  16. gomen ne

gomen ne -

It seems like an early 1968 song, so it does seem a bit out of place on Conversation Piece, though I'm not complaining! According to Peter Doggett's book:

"Kenneth Pitt recalled that [by the end of 1967] he and Bowie were still assembling material for the second Deram album. Songs such as Angel Angel Grubby Face, Threepenny Joe and The Reverend Raymond Brown survive only on a tape loyally retained by Pitt."

Thanks to Ken! RIP

17. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

I guess there won't be a SDE of the first album then, as these tracks would fit better there... but I guess they'd never sell enough copies to make it financially viable!

gomen ne likes this.
  18. gomen ne

gomen ne -

I dunno. I mean, last two RSDs they put out The World of David Bowie and the mono/stereo 67 LP. Why would they do that if they don't tempt the punters? BTW Kevin Cann's book has an entry for Reverend on 7th Feb 1968.

19. gomen ne

gomen ne -

I think Doggett got his information from Kevin Cann. It's a shame that all these 1968 tracks have not been collected together.
    They could have recreated "Occasional Dreaming" was scheduled for a November 1968 release, but according to Occasional Dreaming - The second Deram album? — David Bowie Reverend had been deselected.
    There's got to be an Ernie Johnson release at some point. I hope.

20. Aaa3

Aaa3 Active Member

Thanks for all the info, I do have the complete Bowie but was somewhat annoyed with 'The Gouster' listed as a compilation! Although most of it was released as b-sedes e.t.c it WAS recorded as a full piece in a studio(there is an article about this from the time where he let people outside listen and the track listing was that of the gouster) it only changed when Bowie had recorded songs with john Lennon and they had to completely alter the thing! Technically young americans is the compilation. I will however read through this time! Silly boy I am what a wally.

21. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

it isn't. it's described within the entry for the parent Who Can I Be Now? box set among compilations.

MGW likes this.
  22. gomen ne

gomen ne -

What do you think is going to happen? Do you think they will release Ernie Johnson, and do you want it released?

23. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

i predict anything unheard that surfaces in the coming years to have curiosity value only. bowie was a prolific writer and released what amounts to a substantial catalogue with an abundance of non-album material alongside. he seemed to know what was worth putting out and what was best left unheard. his demos are generally rough and of "historical value", and the outtakes rarely, if ever, measure up to the core albums. as a fan i'm of course curious, but do i expect another "Bewlay Brothers" or "Always Crashing In The Same Car" to be unearthed? nope.

24. gomen ne

gomen ne -

I think you're right, but Bowie's 2nd rate is another artist's lifetime achievement. I liked Velvet Goldmine, Sweet Head, It's Gonna Be Me, Alt Candidate, Some Are. The 60s tracks are a bit of a lottery, but given the standard of remastered releases by Parlophone, I'd rather they concentrated on releasing previously unheard tracks.

Glenn coates likes this.
  25. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Yes, but it wasn't RELEASED as an album, so it's a compilation. Good intentions are all well and good, but history says Gouster, as was, was not released until Parlophone did it. The book is correct.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.