Are there plans for 50th Anniversary John Lennon / Plastic Ono Band? What should be on it?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lynd8, Oct 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lynd8

Lynd8 Forum Resident Thread Starter

"Imagine" gets the glory but I think I play this one more often. 2020 marks the 50th anniversary. Has their been any word on a deluxe release? If they do it, what could we expect? What do we want??

2. Adamjames

Adamjames Forum Resident

There has been no word but Yoko is not in good health now and I’d think a double fantasy box set as there is so much material such as demos and outtakes so if we get anything next year I think it will be the 40th anniversary of that album and johns passing

Jerquee likes this.
  3. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

I am a big fan of the album and play it more than any other Lennon record. So I would love to see it being celebrated.

However, it’s 11 track album with hardly any overdubs or production. We’ve got 8 session outtakes on Anthology, another 11 on Home Tapes, 7 on Acoustic and possibly few more. So what’s left to be added as bonus content?

Yoko could choose to do another remix like she did for Imagine. They could possibly find more outtakes but might be scraping the bottom by now. The Classic Albums documentary could be made available in HD....

Another option is to include Yoko’s POB as well and session outtakes from that record. Add in Cold Turkey and Instant Karma sessions?

4. slowhand1964

slowhand1964 A Tadpole in a Jar

Can't wait to hear how the remasters bring out subtle nuances missing on the original version..

5. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Keep Power To The People and Do The Oz the hell away!

6. :yawn:

marmalade166 likes this.
  7. Lynd8

You have some good points here. I guess I enjoy the books much that came with the "Imagine" set, I was kind of hoping for a re-release, but I do have the recordings you mention here.
    I'd kind of maybe settle for a Double Fantasy box if they included all the stuff that came out on "Milk and Honey" too. Double Fantasy already had it's "stripped" version a few years back, I still vote for POB!

blutiga and crossroads69 like this.
  8. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

Bring it

9. Lynd8

I guess I'm not alone in thinking they were awful for bonus tracks a few years back. I'm almost always a fan of bonus stuff, but these two were the exception. This is a very special album and those just don't fit in.

10. TaumpyTears

TaumpyTears Forum Resident

I love the Peter Cobbin remixes from 2000 except for his mix of God. The original is perfect.

11. Arthur Pewty

Arthur Pewty Always crashing in the same car

Definitely should include the 10 minute Shep Pettibone dance mix of My Mummy's Dead.

12. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

LOL........

13. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Well, I think they have properly reassigned those tracks to the Imagine era now as they appear on the Ultimate Imagine set. I believe there was an intentional choice made to put out the 2000 remix of Imagine sans bonus tracks on purpose because of it's stature, leaving those songs to instead get oddly placed on POB. And in the end, most of his singles, as remixed for that campaign, didn't wind up as bonus tracks at all, but instead appeared on the Working Class Hero comp.

The full sessions for three have been bootlegged: Love, Hold On, Remember. There are also a few other outtakes and demos out there in the wild, along with a healthy serving of officially released outtakes spread over Anthology, Acoustic, and Home Tapes from the 2010 box.

One of the highlights of the Ultimate Imagine set was hearing tracks without overdubs, just the raw performances. With POB, there isn't much to strip away. An extra guitar here, a second vocal there. Still, there are other good performances still unreleased, like the rock n roll medley (of which only a small portion, Honey Don't, has been released on Home Tapes) and things like the full version of Remember. But all in all, we've gotten a lot from this period already.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
    warewolf95 likes this.
  14. writteninwater

writteninwater Forum Resident

Not sure if it is the right album to release more of with. It would ruin the "all meat, no fat" concept that Lennon was so proud of to have achieved with it.

warewolf95, Garson, SteveM and 3 others like this.
  15. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

:D

warewolf95, a customer and Rigoberto like this.
  16. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Personally would also prefer a 40th anniversary edition of Double Fantasy. A limited edition CD with all Lennon tracks would be fabbo

warewolf95 likes this.
  17. Irish-Matti

Irish-Matti Music Lover Since Birth

How about just letting the album speak for itself; but releasing it only on super-premium audiophile Reel to Reel tape.
    Archival limited numbered edition of 1,000 sets.

Dave Thompson and Rigoberto like this.
  18. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I already have four copies. No more please.

warewolf95 likes this.
  19. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Was hoping for a POB “Ultimate” set similar to last years Imagine, but like others have pointed out, don’t see what else can be included that isn’t already available. They could do a new mix, which would probably seem unnecessary. But I wouldn’t at all mind a set with all the outtakes gathered in one place with a nice book like the Imagine book. That said, I’m more looking forward to a Double Fantasy set hopefully combined with Milk and Honey. Really, John’s solo catalog is small enough, they could and should do “Ultimate” editions for all of his albums.

warewolf95 and blutiga like this.
  20. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

I love the 2002 remix, that’s how I first heard the album and it’s my go-to mix. Love the clarity on it, especially John’s vocals and the drums.

I know there were moments such as the one in God where the mix difference didn’t go down well with many of you. However, I had never heard the original and so it’s never bothered me.

I think Yoko likes the remixes, she’s always talked about putting John’s vocals with best clarity. So I feel an Ultimate Mix may be coming.

warewolf95 and Piiijiii like this.
  21. slowhand1964

slowhand1964 A Tadpole in a Jar

LOL! Good one sir

sekaer likes this.
  22. Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert Forum Reconstructor

Certainly there'll be a Plastic Ono Band... Dressed Up, as was the case with Double Fantasy

willwin likes this.
  23. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

These tracks are in the Imagine Ultimate box set already.

24. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

What is going on with Yoko? Never heard any ill health stories until now ??

25. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

If I were in charge, I’d put out a 50th anniversary three-CD digipack as follows:

CD one: John Lennon Plastic Ono Band

CD two: Yoko Ono Plastic Ono Band

CD three: Give Peace A Chance b/w Remember Love

Cold Turkey b/w Don’t Worry Kyoko

Instant Karma b/w Who Has Seen The Wind

Mother (single edit) b/w Why

warewolf95, Folknik, bhazen and 7 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.