Ethically purchasing used compact discs: ?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Cherrycherry, Oct 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. humanracer

humanracer Forum Resident

Legal doesn’t always mean moral
    The record industry is arguing buying used is immoral

Crimson Witch likes this.
  2. savannahsmiles338

savannahsmiles338 Well-Known Member

As far as I'm concerned, someone at some point bought that used cd when it was new and the artist got their cut then. I'd much rather buy a used cd for $3 and continue enjoying it than to just chuck it in the garbage because it's "unethical". Seems a little extreme to me.

3. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

Actually there is really no exact legal verbiage which states one cannot rip a cd and then donate or sell it. There was a long thread about this on AK and and the OP of that thread challenged anyone to post the exact statute where it states this and no one could. Even some lawyers chimed in. No one has ever been indicted for ripping a cd and then selling it, and thus there is no case law to establish judicial review. Besides it would be impossible to even enforce this "law" and our society is not ready to waste resources on doing so even if it was specifically illegal.

It is an urban legend in other words.

Copyright. Are We Legally Bound To Keep A Physical Copy?

ianuaditis and starduster like this.
  4. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

And...

5. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

The only royalties due would have been to the parents who produced her. I'm assuming however, that the first husband paid a dowry, thus fulfilling the first sale doctrine. Therefore, the parents would be no longer entitled to any future royalties.

:)

Oatsdad likes this.
  6. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

When my moral compass is all a-flutter on some issue, I ask myself, "What would the recording industry do?"

7. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Following the recording industry reasoning, when I purchase a record I purchase the right to listen to it, so they should send me for free a replacement copy if my record is worn out and also let me download for free a digital copy.

ARK and johnnybrum like this.
  8. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

This is such a Millennial drama. :D

I have no actual proof of the assertion, but I'm willing to say that I think the music industry would have died some time ago if there had been no secondhand sales. Just as they claimed "Home Taping is Killing Music", so the whole "buying secondhand music is bad because the artist gets no royalties" is hand-wringing of the worst kind (it attempts to make you feel bad about something you love, and love doing - listening to music). Come on people, lighten up. I'm sure you'll get around to feeding the artists at some point, in some "experience".

I never, ever, feel bad about buying secondhand music. The industry needs to start worrying when I stop buying music full stop (which is coming with their desire to kill CD).

Lost In The Flood and Wugged like this.
  9. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Yes, but the registration codes would be written to allow a specific number of backups, and then no longer work. No reason to allow more than two backups of music/video.

10. Carl Swanson

A carpenter is like a sideman in a recording session; work for hire with no further rights.

markshan and ARK like this.
  11. Carl Swanson

They must have at some point, because the right of "second sale" has been enacted into law.

Grant, originalsnuffy and markshan like this.
  12. Carl Swanson

You couldn't, because Amazon has a legal agreement to do so.

Grant and ARK like this.
  13. ATR

ATR Senior Member

The ethical issues of buying a used CD are minimal compared to the issues of copying the information and selling it. Even then, I think there is some language about copying for 'private use' that allows most things short of running a business selling CDR's burned from your collection. Don't do that. Having the ability to clone information on discs is a well known Pandora's box that the industry will never be able to address fully. We're all on the honor system, and to some extent it's up to whatever system of ethics and morality you subscribe to.

14. Carl Swanson

Apples and oranges.

15. Carl Swanson

. . . or a tape dub.

JamieC likes this.
  16. Carl Swanson

You also cannot sell or give away the product and keep a copy in any form.

17. Carl Swanson

You make an interesting point.

18. Carl Swanson

Which property rights, physical or intellectual? In the case of recorded music, they can be diametrically opposed.

markshan likes this.
  19. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

If you sold your used car would you feel bad about Ford Motor Company not getting paid for it a second time?

GerryO likes this.
  20. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Buying used cds is not ethnic. Oh sorry...

21. Carl Swanson

Good Lord, I hope she never sees this!

22. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Exactly! A college student at OU was tight even on scholarship and GB was far from rich. He wasn't making a bundle with his band or bouncing. He was listening to those records SOME way!

23. Carl Swanson

!

Crimson Witch likes this.
  24. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

One of my beefs is that the record industry doesn't have any kind of trade in or trade up procedure. So when a remaster is made available; or a bonus edition comes out with extra tracks; that is a new sale. So it stands to reason that since there is no offer to upgrade the old item I should have the right to sell the old item as used in order to reduce the effective cost of the new item.

One analogy here is to libraries. If I can only purchase a copyrighted work for personal use; then there would be no library system. Once copyrighted material can pass through multiple hands via libraries or used media stores (bookstores, record stores, whatever) then its a matter of working things out fairly. Ethically you should not photocopy that book and you should not copy that CD that was borrowed from a library.

From that it follows that if you sell the CD you should not keep the rip. Doesn't matter if nobody is going to enforce that conclusion; ethically it is not right. What anybody chooses to do about that is another matter.

ParloFax and MielR like this.
  25. JackS

JackS Then Play On

Right...They KNOW Morality.
    LOL

Grant likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.