Ethically purchasing used compact discs: ?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Cherrycherry, Oct 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harry Krishner

Harry Krishner Forum Resident

What I personally dislike is the fact that I pay Tax on all used music I buy. The Tax was already paid by the initial consumer. The artist gets nothing but the good 'ol government gets their unfair share!

ARK likes this.
  2. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

Are you one of those people who don’t want to pay taxes on schools because your kids have graduated?

Grant and nytechy like this.
  3. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

We should not buy used CD's.

We should only produce and buy new ones, and then the old ones other people don't want can go straight into landfill along with all the other non-recyclable products we don't want

Nothing ethically wrong with that at all.....it gives Wall-E something to do at least.

4. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

You got a link to this, or is this what you've heard from the Internet???

Grant likes this.
  5. Rocky's Owner

Rocky's Owner I Don't Rent Air

How about, is it ethical for people who work at record labels to bring stacks of "promo" CDs into used record stores and sell them? Not sure how much this is done anymore, but when I worked at a store we had guys from the labels coming in constantly and selling stacks and stacks of "promo" CDs. I don't think the record labels were telling them "hey guys, take all the promos you want and go get some cash for them." And then some of them had the nerve to get miffed if they thought they weren't getting enough money.

As far as buying them at the store, I didn't own the store and didn't make those decisions, I just did what I was told. Except when thieves came in with obviously stolen discs (new, still wrapped, all taken from the same section, obviously stolen) then I refused to buy them. Even though the shady VP of the chain was ok with buying them when he thought they were stolen. His reasoning: "They'll get caught eventually." Oh, so ok to buy stolen discs in the meantime? Not me.

Grant and c-eling like this.
  6. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

The tax is a sales tax, i.e., it is charged on all sales: new and used.

Grant likes this.
  7. Slash-n-burn

Slash-n-burn Forum Resident

I buy copious used compact-discs and have little problem with it.
    My thoughts are that if the C.D. is available used for second-hand purchase, then it will already have been paid for.

Grant likes this.
  8. aravel

aravel starchitect...then, father!

::: IMO nothing wrong about it...somewhere I read along the responses "...prevents waste"...mmm...yes and no:

please think about it...most of Used CD and Cassette cases are broken or damaged in the open/close mechanism, then we -like many collectors- buy new plastic replacements...this is a very personal situation but since I started to buy-trade- used cds almost 20 years ago, I became aware about how many people have went through the shelves looking, handling them those used cds. I've come across so many stuff inside of Lps, CDs, cassettes, so first thing, after digging: clean your hands, replace all cases, trays, innersleeves, whatever with new ones and most of all,if, whereas is possible, clean the media before play on your beloved music reproduction system.

TonyCzar likes this.
  9. Slash-n-burn

Slash-n-burn Forum Resident

...which is why I feel very guilty for having bought my Ted Nugent boxed-set new!

Lost In The Flood, Grant and Siegmund like this.
  10. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

In the UK, you cannot even make a legal copy of your own music library.

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  11. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I buy second hand. I am not perturbed about it.
    I have spent so much money over the years propping up the music industry, that I feel no guilt at all.
    If I like an artist, I am almost certainly going to buy new stuff as well anyhow.

Then there is the waste factor. If someone is getting rid of something they don't want, and I do ... it's better on my shelves rather than a landfill

Siegmund, MielR and c-eling like this.
  12. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I think it's great, if not for them, many wouldn't be in my collection. :winkgrin:
    [​IMG]

PH416156 likes this.
  13. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Being somewhat familiar with copyright law, the rule of thumb is whether your copy denied the rights holder of a potential sale. I would say keeping a duplicate while selling the original definitely fails the sniff test. Of course, no one's going to legally pursue individual copies . . .

14. onlyacanvasky

onlyacanvasky Your guess is as good as mine.

Let's look at the last few CDs I bought:
    The Beach Boys - 20 Good Vibrations - The Greatest Hits
    Roger Whittaker - The Best Of Roger Whittaker
    Helen Reddy - Helen Reddy's Greatest Hits (And More)

All used, all bought for specific mixing/mastering choices. Do I have a moral dilemma about them? Not in the slightest. Would people here seriously suggest I go out and buy modern loudified, eye wateringly EQed versions instead?

I don't buy a whole lot of new music, but when I do I buy it new, physically wherever possible, and the artists get paid.

PH416156 and c-eling like this.
  15. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Wow, 11 pages and going strong.

16. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

They are welcome to start Go Fund me campaigns , beginning with one for Bruce Springsteen, since it is his CDs that trade at highest volume on the used market. I would then expect generous donations to their artists from the company coffers !
    ;)

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  17. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Why are you distinguishing between vinyl, cassette and cd?

Incredibly hard to implement an artist payment in the second-hand market. The best you could do would be to put a blanket tax on sales. And we all want that don't we?

I suspect the record companies would benefit more than the artist.

No one wants to pay the record companies more than we already do.

It's not as if we get discount on upgrading to the latest remaster, like a trade-in agreement. I think that alone says that we paid and now we own that CD/LP/cassette to with as we see fit.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  18. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I think I saw that Roger Whittaker album once.

19. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

You are quite right not to buy it. Look at the following chart.
    [​IMG]
    Revenues from CDs probably equal revenues from all other formats added together over the time period of this chart. Moreover, revenues were steadily increasing until the turn of the century when illegal file sharing took over. Although on the rise, revenues are below their peak, and well below the long term trend experienced before 2000 (almost a doubling of revenue for every decade).

20. PineBark

PineBark formerly known as BackScratcher

The music industry tried that years ago with DRM, which failed in the market.

21. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

Same would go for lawn mowers, bicycles, sofas or anything. No one is getting paid twice when I flog anything I've bought.

impalaboy likes this.
  22. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Buying unwanted but already existant copies is better for the environment than adding to the demand to manufacture excess copies, now if all excess copies are owned by people that value them, which means almost none are available for sale 'used', then there is a real demand for more to be made... until then we are on a limited planet.

Also the CD is not immortal as a format, it will degrade over time just like DVDs, tapes and vinyl pressings can, it is very susceptible to UV and light damage for instance, so keep them away from sunlight if you do value them (this is why they all had the black inner trays originally, that seemed to get forgotten after not very long).

aravel likes this.
  23. Vanguardsman

Vanguardsman Forum Resident

I used to go to the Evanston public library (huge open stacks) on Saturdays and speed-rip hundreds of CDs with my laptop. The librarians (authorized agents of the state) never objected and sometimes volunteered their help, if I needed it.

I never denied the artists a sale in so doing, because I was never going to buy any of those CDs anyway. Some library rips did lead to follow-on store purchases, though.

I'm planning to give my 2TB drive packed with WAVs to my nephew.

Question: after reading this thread, should I turn myself in?

24. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Maybe you just have? :sigh:

25. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

If there were any genuine legal issues concerning selling used CDs (or books or LPs, etc.) then legal action would have been taken against eBay, Amazon, numerous second hand book stores where so many transactions of second hand material takes place.

Scott

Lost In The Flood and Grant like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.