"The Deuce" - HBO Series with James Franco and Maggie Gyllenhaal

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Tone, Jul 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

The Wire.

2. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

Boardwalk Empire

Here's a non-exhaustive list of 35 death scenes:

Boardwalk Empire's 35 Greatest Death Scenes

btltez likes this.
  3. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Boardwalk Empire

Virtually every main character died.

4. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

So,
    was that supposed to be Abby, at the very end there, walking towards the camera, just talking away on the phone?

5. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Yes (the subtitles said so).

vince likes this.
  6. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Very moving ending to a great series.

Old Mac, jpelg, WJA and 2 others like this.
  7. vince

I DID see "...but, I'm dead." coming .
    I laughed because I said it like a millisecond before he did!

vudicus likes this.
  8. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Yes. She became a lawyer - and it sounded to me like one of the corporate variety.

Interesting ending. Not sure if I liked it or not.

bopdd and vince like this.
  9. vince

I was kind of reminded of that last Anthony Bourdain show, when he was talking to Lydia Lunch, and he (as usual) get all romantic about the good old days, and Lydia tells him, basically, to get a life!

alexpop likes this.
  10. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

I thought the final season was a little too all-over-the-place for my liking. Barring the immediate shock of that one scene, I'm not sure I really connected with any of the segments or characters. By the closing shots, I was more apathetic (and occasionally frustrated) than anything else. As opposed to "The Wire," Simon and company failed to drive home their points in a meaningful way (in my opinion). What's more, I can't help but feel that they pulled a ton of punches in their depiction of mobsters and sex workers alike. Last but not least, I just wasn't buying Franco as an old man.

JackBnimble and Complier like this.
  11. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Somebody on another board said it much better than I could - "they took out the ****ing and turned it into an art film".

12. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I enjoyed the finale and the series, nowhere near as much as I have David Simon's past projects but, as I've said, it had it's moments. One common thread Simon manages to pull off regardless of everything else happening, is his uncanny ability to somehow make the locations of his tales come alive. Doesn't matter if it's the docks and ghettos of Baltimore, or the backstreets of New Orleans. He always manages to bring an extreme authenticity, and regardless of how good or bad the Deuce may have been, he positively nailed NYC. The last scene, with Vince walking down Memory lane, was such a stark visual difference in the portrayal of Times Square between the than and now, it was jarring. And when there was nothing left to be said, the camera stays on the street, and for a moment all you hear is that unmistakable roar of Manhattan's streets. I ain't gonna lie, I had a lump in my throat. Of course, if yr not from NY, my post probably makes no sense but if you are.....

jpelg and trd like this.
  13. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

Born and raised in NYC....so I totally understand. I was around for "The Deuce" era, and while it was pretty crazy, I still kinda miss it

JackBnimble likes this.
  14. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

The "youths" from Brooklyn rampaging through the streets and robbing people in Manhattan. Not really the good old days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.