New Springsteen Album "Western Stars" June 14*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FingerPickin'Triumph, Apr 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

There's some sort of listing on Amazon UK already, though I'm not sure if that's just speculative on their part: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-St...s=western+stars+blu+ray&qid=1572093648&sr=8-1

I saw this in the theater yesterday (including bonus footage). First impression was that the songs were pretty great and came off well. It'll be fun to compare this to the studio version, though at this moment the studio one is the winner. Mind you, I am a huge fan of the Western Stars studio album.

I thought the voiceovers came across a bit pretentious though. A few of them were really nice, but some of them were unnecessary or self-congratulatory. Bruce quoting himself (before "Hello Sunshine") or declaring that he'd found a good metaphor (before "Drive Fast" I think) seemed unnecessary or inappropriate. When he did Storytellers in 2005 and went through "Blinded By The Light" line-by-line, that was probably the worst, so this wasn't as bad. But Bruce, let some of the mystery be!

I hope that when the Blu-ray comes out there'll be an option to watch just the musical performances.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  2. powerq

powerq Forum Resident

Me too. There was only one other guy in my theater. I stayed until it was all over. Kept the unneeded cleaning crew out for those 15 minutes.
    I LOLd when Bruce talked about 19 albums and still writing about cars.

Rockford & Roll likes this.
  3. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Ah thank you

(Edit) or maybe not. Afterwards?

4. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I'm thinking that too....but it might seem like he's "pushing it", asking fans to pony up three times in one year for the same songs. Now the reason it's in the theaters is for Oscar consideration, so it could be released after it WINS whatever category it's nominated in -- come on, you know it will win.

However, 2020 is supposed to be given over to the EStreet Band album/tour so Bruce & camp might want to turn the page, and will release it this Christmas.

Such intrigue.

J_D__, RSteven and The MEZ like this.
  5. Mike M

Mike M Forum Resident

Bruce, for the first time to my ears, actually sounds his age of 70, especially on "Hello Sunshine".

Hit me like a ton of bricks

After taking him, his music, and his presence for granted in my life for over 45 years, that he ( and all of us) are not going to be around forever...

Timos, blastfurniss and The MEZ like this.
  6. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Hello sunshine, indeed!

7. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Bruce has been open about his battle with depression, and depression tends to age many people--the lines on their face deepen.
    I also suspect Bruce has stopped indulging in things like Botox which he used for number of years. He obviously dyes his hair and it looks like he's taken to the "perpetual tan" look like a lot of other older men.

On the other hand , he's still lean and works out.

8. Mike M

Mike M Forum Resident

I totally get why he wears the wig (or transplants) and the other cosmetic stuff, he's a rock star, and has to religiously keep up the image.

But the sound and timber of his voice, for the first time, reminded me of my grandfather, and it just hit me how old he really is. In my mind and imagination, he's still the street rat punk of BTR and Darkness. Probably a way of not facing my age either. :)

9. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I think your last sentence sums it up for a lot of people--even if they don't give it much thought.

Rock stars who are older than you are like some kind of "buffer." If you are, say 50 and your favorite musician is 70 and looks and sounds great, it kind of gives you hope that you too can look ( if not sound) great too when you're 70.

Adjust age to personal situation.

Turbo2k, serj, rcb30 and 4 others like this.
  10. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

He looks damn good for 70!

I remember in '96, an Ed Bradley 60 Minutes piece, and Bruce is walking along a shoreline, and I thought he had the walk of an old man. It may be just a natural progression of that gait, add a dash of stiffness. And he's always had sort of a rasp to his speaking voice, to me anyway.

I'll be 69 in a week, been trying to get a rhythm of seeing old acquaintances, touch some bases. For those that have been to Reunions, and even seeing friends since a Reunion, some things are startling, some are nuances.

It's why I have a hard time waiting for prices to drop.

Taxman, Paul R, krock2009 and 3 others like this.
  11. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

It’s funny that you brought up that 60 Minutes interview. I remember watching that with my dad and he remarked that Bruce seemed old and walked “like an old man.” He said he though something was “ wrong” with him.
    This was also around the time Bruce’s hairline got interesting.

Paul J and krock2009 like this.
  12. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

He’s had a couple facelifts and wears a wig.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  13. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I don’t know about a wig. I think he had a hair transplant in the mid to late 90’s and he keeps it short and dyed— although I believe he’s worn a toupee at times when his hair was longer.
    He probably had a facelift.

14. LeeGriffin

LeeGriffin Forum Resident

To anyone who originally preordered the colored vinyl from Bruce Springsteen's website, did you ever receive the poster mentioned in the email? I received the email on June 28th and never received a poster.

Dear fan,

We wanted to give you an update on your Western Stars order. We apologize that your order shipped later than expected. Due to the delay, we will be refunding your order in full as well as sending you an exclusive Western Stars album cover poster. Please allow our team 7-10 business days to process your refund. You will see your funds returned to your account 2-3 business days after the refunds have been processed.

Thank you for your patience and support.

Bill likes this.
  15. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

Ok, your last line made me laugh HARD. (hoping you meant to be funny . . . I'm 63 and have thought the same thing myself . . . if not now, when?)

Paul J and DavidD like this.
  16. hardknox

hardknox Forum Resident

Bruce has walked with a limp since his ATV accident in the late 70's. Probably now aggravated by the natural effects of aging.

17. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

The musical performances are really fantastic. It's really impressive how they made that big ensemble sound (and look) that good in a barn. They even made Sleepy Joes Cafe sound good.

The voice overs were more mixed. I agree that Bruce does tend to occasionally blow a bit of self-important hot wind when given the opportunity. I noticed a similar thing during the Broadway show. They sounded a bit forced at times. I'm also not interested seeing home movies of celebrities canoodling. If Bruce and Patti have a great marriage, that's great. I don't need to see the evidence, and it's none of my business anyway. The "bonus features" part wasn't anything special. Mostly red carpet press conference & media nonsense.

I really enjoyed seeing him front a band of different, mostly unknown musicians. There was no opportunity for the usual ESB rituals or schtick. As always, I found Patti's presence and singing irritating, but she's part of the deal, and I just try to tune her out. The pedal steel player (Marc Muller) was fantastic, and the rhythm section was silky smooth.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    RSteven, The MEZ, NunoBento and 6 others like this.
  18. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Nice movie, great cinematography, Bruce in melancholic mood, the songs worked well with the full orchestra, last 10 minutes especially good. Rhinestone Cowboy a blast... Today was the main UK premiere day in our movie chains and independent cinemas....

RSteven, The MEZ, Mfj55 and 1 other person like this.
  19. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

And you know that, how?

NunoBento likes this.
  20. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Boy did Patti ruin Moonlight Motel, one of my favourite tracks from the album.

dberthia likes this.
  21. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Photos, it obvious.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  22. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

yep, my favorite too. Her inclusion there made no sense at all. The song is the rumination of a single lonely man left with nothing but memories and regrets. It doesn’t work as a duet, musically or visually.

It’s been going on for a long time, and it can be frustrating. She adds very little, and often detracts. Yet he keeps running her out there. Oh well, it’s his show, not mine...

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
    DavidD, Paul J, dberthia and 3 others like this.
  23. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Love it too. I'm just not 100% it's my favourite, because I absolutely adore The Stuntman and the title-track.

Are you also an adept of the murder-suicide theory on Moonlight Motel?

24. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Yeah, not sure about that angle. Could be though...

25. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

The sound is really incredible, although I suspect a fair amount of after the fact overdubbing occurred. I noticed a few spots where a piano or pedal steel was heard but was clearly not being played anywhere on stage.

RSteven and NunoBento like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.