Do you have the correct/original inner sleeves into each LPs in your collection? Pics and history.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Giorgio, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident Thread Starter

Tons of infos spreaded out in dozens of threads in this forum, I know, but I would like to bring everything together in one place, if possible, especially for those who, like me, love to have the original inner in each LP, because we consider it as a significant part of its history.
    I would like to try, with the help of many collectors and experts present here, to identify as precisely as possible the exact inner present into the album at the first release day.
    As you all know, over the years, sellers and collectors may have changed the original inner to another one in better condition, without taking into account certain significant details...

I think it's more useful to talk about the standard inners, the generic ones used by record companies.
    With the custom inners it is easier to identify the correct one that was in that album, for example in the second album of the Doors, or in the Jefferson Airplain's Baxter there were unique inners, impossible to be wrong (they are the first two examples that come to mind, but there are many..."impossible to be wrong"? Not so sure...).

So, please, check in your collection for a comparison, and back in this thread with your comments.
    I kindly invite you to post your examples, if not yet discussed.
    Post here pics (or a detailed description) of inners you have in your LPs, specifying in which album it is present.
    Comments about what you know in its regard; infos needed in order to understand/confirm the exact era; doubts, questions, thoughts, reasonings and conclusions...
    Of course, very important will be direct testimonies of those who bought the album on the day of its release, I hope to have many!

I'll start with these three, all original US releases, where I have no doubts about the first, and some doubts about the others two (please check the pics, I'll avoid descriptions because "a picture is worth more than a hundred words" :agree: ).

- Cream, Fresh Cream, ATCO USA 1966, two tone label, mono. Matrix side 1: C-12489-A AT W, and side 2: C-12490-A AT W.
    Here I'm sure, inner is the right one due to the punch-hole in the corner that fits exactly with the one on jacket, and because it is an ATCO one of course. Please if I'm wrong let me know...
    I have a question about this inner: is it the same for the second Cream album from '67 "Disraeli Gears", US stereo version?.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- The Who, The Who Sings My Generation, Decca USA 1966, mono. Matrix side 1: MG10404 T1 1, and side 2: MG10405 T1 1.
    Never found valid infos about the correct inner for this title, the one I have is on this set from the day I received the LP.
    Is it the correct one?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
    sbraidi, BrentB, crispi and 17 others like this.
  2. Giorgio

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- The Who, Magic Bus, Decca USA 1968. Matrix side 1: 7 11670 1 1 1; and side 2: 7 11671 1 1 1.
    Same as above, no infos found.
    Was this inner used by Decca for this title in the '68?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats all for now...

3. Buddybud

Buddybud Paisley DayGlo Freak!

One of the short comings of discogs is the lack of info on inners unless it was specific to the album. Ive often wondered about these when i find interesting ones and wondered if there was more info related to these generic sleeves. Should be a good thread!

4. Giorgio

Thanks Sir!
    I'm fully agree with you :righton:

fortherecord and Buddybud like this.
  5. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I love the US advertising inner sleeves from the 60s. In the UK we mostly got white paper inners with 'Take good care of your records' type text and instructions on them. EMI did a few advertising inners including ones for Motown LPs, but there doesn't seem to be many different ones. One advertising Pepper's and Piper is very common and the Motown ones seem to show the same albums for years. EMI also produced ones for Capitol advertising Matt Monro, Peggy Lee, Sinatra etc. Again, they don't seem to change much. There's an EMI inner from 1970 that advertises Let It Be with the box and book too, along with McCartney's first album amongst other things.

Tanx, dwilpower, seacliffe301 and 9 others like this.
  6. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Bee Gees-Odessa, 1969 (US)
    [​IMG]

7. I used
    To love those inserts
    And discovered interesting bands as a result.

8. Giorgio

They seem exactly as the one on my original US copy of Iron Butterfly "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida", on three tone ATCO label, that is from '68...

Could be both correct for ATCO's releases from 68 to 69?

9. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Yes. For each & every one!!!

10. Giorgio

WOW, congrat :thumbsup:
    Hope to see some your examples here Sir!

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  11. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Good question Giorgio. No clue when that run for those prints began and ended.

Giorgio likes this.
  12. TheHutt

TheHutt Forum Resident

Alas, not for each one. Still, when washing records (and replacing the inners afterwards) I am keeping the original inners. Mostly they are just blank, except maybe for some batch numbers. Some of them (like Deutsche Grammophon) have the actual year of the release printed on them.

13. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

[QUOTE="Giorgio, post

- The Who, Magic Bus, Decca USA 1968. Matrix side 1: 7 11670 1 1 1; and side 2: 7 11671 1 1 1.
    Same as above, no infos found.
    Was this inner used by Decca for this title in the '68?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[/QUOTE]

I think it's an excellent chance that is correct for the early issue of that album as that is the same liner that is in my copy obtained from someone that I know purchased it some time before 1972.

PhoffiFozz, Buddybud and Giorgio like this.
  14. Giorgio

We are both in the same boat, I tried to check and find the ones missing from my collection...hard life!
    The actual year of the release printed on them is a good indication, there are many also from the UK...I'll post some in the next days.

Buddybud likes this.
  15. Giorgio

I think it's an excellent chance that is correct for the early issue of that album as that is the same liner that is in my copy obtained from someone that I know purchased it some time before 1972.[/QUOTE]

Nice, thanks for this your feedback!!

Fullbug and Buddybud like this.
  16. Giorgio

The interesting thing that help about UK ones, are that some have a date code close to one corner...but yes, often they seem issued all as the same, without a date code...for years...

Man at C&A and izgoblin like this.
  17. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

When I was 17, I bought the Pink Floyd box set "The First XI" ('79); a 1000-only UK limited edition. To my eternal regret, I then put all 11 LP's in protective sleeves, ditching the original EMI inners...

Alan2 and Giorgio like this.
  18. Giorgio

...you do so many things when you are young ... and sometimes you regret it.

M321115, mikmcmee, ODShowtime and 2 others like this.
  19. Giorgio

Just to have a complete view of these ATCO inners, here the one on my original 1968 US copy of Iron Butterfly "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida", on three tone ATCO label.

Question remains open: are they the correct ones for ATCO's releases from 68 to 69?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. All my LPs are in a anti-static inner sleeve. If the inner sleeve the record originally came in is blank I throw it away and just use the anti-static inner sleeve. If there's something printed on the original inner sleeve I'll keep it, but the record goes into a new anti static inner sleeve.

Actually this reminds me of finding a Columbia inner sleeve in my dad's copy of Jethro Tull's Benefit. When I asked him what that was doing in an island record, he told me that the Jethro Tull album came with a nice anti static inner sleeve, which he wanted to use for his very first LP, Blood Sweat & Tears 4. Therefore that album's Columbia inner sleeve ended up being used for the Jethro Tull album.

21. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

The inner sleeve is the vinyl equivalent of the CD collector’s jewel case.

22. Giorgio

- The Who, Who's Next, original Track Record UK 1971. Vinyl matrix end with A//1 and B//2.

UK released date: 25 Aug 1971.

For this UK album, until recently, the myth of Headhunters inner sleeve reigned, but maybe this is no longer the case...

"Copies with the Headhunters inner sleeve are re-pressings. Mainly for 2 reasons. Firstly the HeadHunters inner features LPs released 1 month later than this LP. And secondly this LP is already listed as "available" on the inner - which means that this LP was already released when this Headhunters inner sleeve was concieved. Therefore any copies with the Headhunters inner sleeve will date from late September/October 1971 - at least 1 or 2 months after the release date. This inner DEFINITELY DID NOT EXIST at the time of this LPs release.
    CORRECT -day of release- 1st press inners will have an "0871" date code on the plastic bags plain white poly-lined inner sleeve" (from Discogs)...the standard one used by the pressing plant.

Please note: I'm not one who believes in everything I read on the web, and especially the infos from Discogs I always try to interpret them in the most correct way based on my experience, and many times they are wrong.
    In this case I never had time to check and verify the first reason above, but the second one, in its simplicity and logic, leaves no doubt about the truthfulness of this conclusion, IMHO.

Does it work for you?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    parman, 131east23, WhoTapes1 and 6 others like this.
  23. Giorgio

24. TheHutt

TheHutt Forum Resident

Difficult. Were it for a longer time period, I would have agreed. But for just 1-2 months... I doubt the redesign of inner sleeves would have been very frequent. They would have designed the sleeve for all of their releases around this time, no matter if the release date is +/- 1 month in the future or the past.

25. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

For brand new records, if there’s anything printed on it or it’s in some way specific to the record, I keep it, but put the record in a better one. If it’s just a plain sleeve with a brand new record, I toss it. I just don’t have room for plain paper sleeves.

Used records, especially if they’re old, I keep the sleeve but, again, put the record in a better one. I just don’t like paper sleeves because of the scratching and shedding.