New Springsteen Album "Western Stars" June 14*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FingerPickin'Triumph, Apr 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blastfurniss

blastfurniss Forum Resident

Hadn't heard of an ATV accident. He did have a nasty motorcycle accident in the 60's where he broke his leg pretty badly. It was actually a lucky break (pun intended) as it kept him being drafted and going to Vietnam. You can notice it throughout his career but like most old injuries the effects get worse as we get older. I'm nearly 50 and the old football injuries to my knees have had a similar impact on the way I walk.

There's no doubt that at 70 Bruce is still a physical marvel. He's taken great care of himself since the 80's and avoided substances throughout his career. That being said, I noticed a change in his voice and his physicality during the The River tour. He still walked around the arena during Hungry Heart but there was no more running or sliding on stage. No jumping. If memory serves there was talk during the last shows of the High Hopes tour that he had injured his back or his neck and he stayed pretty stationary and noticeably uncomfortable on stage during the last show of that tour.

A 2020 E Street Band tour could be interesting. Bruce is 70. Garry just turned 70. Stevie is 67 I believe. Max has had his share of health issues. I wouldn't expect 3 hour marathon shows anymore but if I've learned anything it's not to underestimate Springsteen. He played the longest sets of his career on the last tour at age 67.

NunoBento likes this.
  2. moonshiner

moonshiner Forum Resident

Absolutely horrid

The MEZ and NunoBento like this.
  3. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Springsteen had surgery for cervical stenosis (spinal condition) in 2013 I think? I wouldn't be surprised if he is dealing with some age-related arthritis but he seems to be in excellent health and fitness for 70.

4. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

They stopped doing back to back ESB shows during the 2012 tour. That gave them extra mileage plus Bruce moving less.

The recent interview where he said ESB had a "couple more" tours in them surprised me. Wish he'd do small band touring thing.

blastfurniss likes this.
  5. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

On the other hand, didn't Bruce say that in retrospect, Patti should have sung on "Moonlight Motel" in the studio too? I can't remember if this was in the bonus footage or the main feature.

6. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Thank god we were saved from her there.

moonshiner, ego1jr and dberthia like this.
  7. Mike M

Mike M Forum Resident

Wondering if her inclusion references the affair they had while he was married in the 80's. Not a fan of her singing, but thematically that at least makes sense. Perhaps they see it as a private "in joke" moment between the two of them.

8. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

In early 1979 he flipped an ATV while scooting around his farm in Holmdel and ripped up some ligaments in his leg.

blastfurniss likes this.
  9. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

10. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

11. dbacon

dbacon Forum Resident

I went on Sunday. There was about six people in the theater

12. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Ouch.

RSteven likes this.
  13. bfackler

bfackler Senior Member

I went to the first Fathom Event on Saturday 10/19. There were thirty to forty people there - in INDIANA!

14. windfall

windfall Senior Member

So far as I can tell, it had a one night only thing in the UK. Although doing another search it is screening again in Southampton next Monday. So maybe a few Monday nights only? The screening I attended this week was pretty full. I am surprised they are trying to distribute it showing it daily though in the US. It might have done better as an "event cinema" thing which is how they are marketing it over here (and bear in mind Springsteen can still play stadia over here, not just arenas).

I enjoyed the movie a lot. Great sound. The meditations between the songs ranged from moving and breathtaking (some great cinematography) to rather cringeworthy.

That line about "the older you get, the heavier the baggage becomes that you haven't sorted through"... that resonates with me.

I am not as anti-Patti as many here. Decades back, I thought she had a great voice (Rumble Doll album is not bad) but my sense is that these days she does not have the control over her vibrato that is such a distinctive element of her tone. So it can be a bit grim.

I am fairly convinced there has been some post-production sweetening on the vocals, at least. There is one point when Patti starts singing and she's way off the mic, then moves in close and there is not the tiniest variation in volume of her vocals. I guess that can be fixed one way or another but I think it is more likely that some vox (Bruce's high notes on Sundown?) were overdubbed.

Dr. Zoom likes this.
  15. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Definitely some vocal overdubs or multiple (spliced) takes from Springsteen

windfall likes this.
  16. moonshiner

moonshiner Forum Resident

Indeed

NunoBento likes this.
  17. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

These sort of screenings aren't usually designed for the whole world to flock to the movie theater.

The screenings are there for the handful of superfans who have to see everything first, who want the premium experience; the same people who will then (it is hoped) excitedly go online and get some buzz going among the fans who haven't seen it yet, building anticipation for a more general release in a more mainstream-friendly format.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    Rockford & Roll and windfall like this.
  18. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I saw similar stories throughout the media and all I can say is they couldn’t have been that naive to think this was going to be a blockbuster. I always felt it was given a theatrical release in order to make it eligible for Oscar consideration and that even many fans in areas where the film was showing are simply waiting for DVD, BluRay or perhaps cable TV showing.

Let’s be realistic. Bruce’s status as an “icon” and media favorite does not translate to huge sales these days— except for live concert performances.

NunoBento likes this.
  19. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

I listened to the soundtrack album last night and it sounded very flat to me compared to hearing those songs in the cinema the previous evening. It doesn't seem to represent the music as heard in the film at all. A bit of a disappointment and not a patch on the studio album.

supernaut likes this.
  20. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Interesting. I had the opposite reaction. I really enjoyed the soundtrack album, which sounds more organic and human than the studio release. There is an edge of fragility to the vocals on the live release (often the vocal lines are shortened, a little more tentative) which I much prefer.

Rockford & Roll likes this.
  21. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

I just thought the dynamics of the music as heard in the film are not replicated on the album. There is instrumentation that is clear or even dominant on the 7.1 mixes on some songs that is inaudible on the record. Very strange. It will be interesting to see how the sound on the DVD/Blu Ray stacks up when it is issued, though I am not sure I will be buying it. I enjoyed the film but don't necessarily need to see it twice.

22. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

*edit

Gub posted while I was writing my post.......

I would guess that the soundmix for the theatrical version is much more dynamic than the compressed digital version. Also played on better sound system in the cinema compared to what most people have at home.

I'm looking forward to the blu-ray! Should be much better than the audio version as most blu-ray sound mastering is done to reference level. This means less compression/loudness compared to how people usually
    master music

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    GubGub likes this.
  23. windfall

windfall Senior Member

I agree with budwhite and Gub here - I would expect the blu-ray in particular to have much more depth and detail. And I would happily watch it again and then might be inclined to play it without picture as background music rather than putting on the CD.

24. windfall

windfall Senior Member

My strong feeling is that it is rare for an artist in popular music approaching 70 to make a major contribution to his catalogue of work. Dylan hasn't managed it, not Neil, McCartney, the Stones... When I have mentioned this before some people have suggested Leonard Cohen and he may be another exception that proves the rule, I'm not a fan.

stevelucille, Jimmy B. and NunoBento like this.
  25. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

I think Western Stars is the exception that proves that rule.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.