Troubling online transaction

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by elaterium, Oct 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ok, I'm curious to hear people's feedback on this recent online purchase I made. It was a very rare record from the 1950's. I'd been wanting a copy for the past 50 years. Saw an offer at a somewhat reasonable price for a copy in NM condition from overseas. I received it, there were large, deep scratches throughout. It was unplayable, skipped like crazy, AND the jacket had a tear. I contacted the seller immediately. He told me he thoroughly inspected it before shipping and was surprised. He would not allow me to ship it back because he didn't want to pay the return postage. He told me that if I destroyed the record and jacket he'd refund my money. I hated to do that to this rare record. I suggested he just give me a partial refund; the record was useless but at least I could display the cover. He refused and told me I'd have to destroy it and send him convincing pictures. So that's what I did; sliced the jacket in half and took a key to both sides of the record, sent him the photos and got a full refund. It seems like such a waste! If I were the seller I would have apologized and either accepted the return or else just told the buyer to keep it. I've never had a transaction like this before. Any thoughts?

2. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

That is just flat out wrong

If the item is not as described it is the sellers fault and under NO circumstances should the buyer be punished for it

Dave, audiomixer, vonwegen and 9 others like this.
  3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I have done the same thing, although not with rare stuff. Things like a warped previously sealed record.

I don't want to pay to return it, and I don't want to risk being a scammer's target. So I have them break it in half and send evidence and I give them all their money back.

princesskiki likes this.
  4. If he inspected it he’s either a 1) liar or 2) asked to see if destroyed so he could give you a refund and claim that perhaps it was damaged in. Shipping. Did you pay with PayPal?

Jimmy B. likes this.
  5. TheHutt

TheHutt Forum Resident

You could have photocopied the sleeve and torn that up instead.

wayneklein and Jimmy B. like this.
  6. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

The buyer wasn't punished. He got all his money back, and he didn't have to go to the post office.

sunking101 and Lamus like this.
  7. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

The buyer was punished as he had to destroy something he had put time and money into to get a refund.

How bout’ you just learn to pack vinyl and have accurate descriptions seller!

vonwegen, Jimmy B., astro70 and 2 others like this.
  8. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Not his call. If you had opened a Paypal dispute for Significantly Not As Described he likely would have either had to pay to send it back or refund your money and give it to you without extra conditions like destroying it.

Dave, TheHutt and GoodKitty like this.
  9. elaterium

I did.

10. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

He needed to be punished by having it shipped back to him, his cost. He knew exactly what he was doing: sells a piece of junk, hoping you’ll just eat it.

I hope you got your shipping cost back, too, Elaterium.

I’ve got something coming in the mail this week, and I’m worried that the seller may have misrepresented which reissue label made the record. We’ll see, but if it happens it will be the second time in six months (different seller each time).

11. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Mistakes happen. When they do your have to return the item to get the refund. Instead, the buyer saved the hassle of repacking it and shipping it, and hoping it got back to the seller.

The seller didn't hesitate to provide the refund. That's as good as it's gonna get.

sunking101 likes this.
  12. elaterium

I did get my shipping back, thanks.

Chemguy likes this.
  13. elaterium

Well, it was destroyed for nothing. I mean, it would have been nice to have the jacket at least so I could frame it. I even suggested he just give me a partial refund. But no, he wanted to see that I got no use out of it whatsoever.

14. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

I would have refused to do this bizarre and punitive thing without getting a reasonable explanation of the point, and I don't think there is a reasonable rationale. It's sadistic and manipulative demand, on top of the unscrupulous dishonesty about he state of the vinyl record for sale. My best guest is that the seller was trying to communicate the suspicion that the buyer might receive a refund and then go ahead and be able to play and enjoy the record despite its flaws. In other words, the sleazy seller wanted to implicate the innocent buyer in a cut-throat pact of destructive mutual distrust. I'm disappointed that the buyer played ball with this person.

15. elaterium

Yes, you’ve understood the situation thoroughly. But I wanted my money refunded. If I had to do it again I’d have contacted PayPal. I want to leave negative feedback but I’ll probably just leave it.

16. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

You went through this and you won't leave negative feedback?!??
    This is the most horrible story of purchasing online I can think of; he lied about the condition, a item you've wanted forever that was in the worst condition imaginable but advertised as near mint, and then he put you through this, made you destroy the item?!?? And you don't consider that a negative experience? Wow.
    That seller deserves more than just the negative feedback, but at least do that, warn others, make him hopefully lose some business, the *******.

elaterium likes this.
  17. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

I had a Discogs seller ask me to do the same.
    He didn't want me to have a refund and still own the vinyl, but he also didn't want it back. Sending him photos of the destroyed vinyl got me a full refund.

18. sunking101

If I get a full refund including shipping I don't leave negative feedback. A full refund means I'm good.

19. PsychGuy

PsychGuy Forum Resident

From a seller's perspective: People do it with some regularity. Complain that the item is defective or not as described and ask for a return/refund. Most in hopes that you will just refund the $ and say keep it. Or if you get a return, there will be fingerprints or misc. funk on the item, so you've provided a free rental (say with a Blu-ray). A seller who is careful about the condition of what he sends out is at the mercy of a scammer who claims the item is flawed, as e-commerce retailers always side with the buyer. The buyer can always damage the item. There is no defense.

So I sort of sympathize with this seller's odd stance, although it seems he was at fault. At least the OP received a full refund.

(I recently sold an expensive Criterion box set. On the last day that a refund/return was possible, I get an email saying the person who was to receive it had died. I authorized the return and the discs clearly were played. Fingerprints. Cat hair. I was able to do a partial refund due to condition, but the set couldn't be sold again.)

20. I thought about this as well. It's not like you're going to sell it.

21. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Well said, good sir.

This is a completely disgusting circumstance.

22. elaterium

How did you feel about having to do that?

23. elaterium

Of course I consider it a negative experience. I just don't want to deal with him giving ME a bad rating. Though he'd have no justification for doing so. I've been thinking about it a lot and I believe I will end up writing about my experience.

24. sunking101

As he was giving me a full refund I didn't care. I get ripped off on Discogs all the time by sellers who overgrade and then offer a partial refund when I complain. I want a total refund including shipping and if a seller complies then I'm relieved. How did I feel destroying what was in effect his belongings and not mine? I felt OK, it was his request and I complied to get my refund.

elaterium likes this.
  25. elaterium

I’ve been buying and selling for years and this is the first bad experience I’ve had. I guess I’ve been lucky.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.